sub 3 argus help

alleyne

hello fellow hubbers.

I would like to ask those who consistently manage to ride a sub-3(or just over) argus, what times the normally get/aim for in die burger.

I know there are many other factors (wind and everything) that can make die burger time irrelevant, but bear with me :)

cheers

Have done one or two sub3.......never a Burger ride......

As Rydogg pointed out.....if you are in a fast group A-J, and you stick with the front guys, you'll be fine within 3h.

Just train hard and see what happens on race day.....

Personally I think a sub3 is WAY over rated for the Argus.....

Doing 5hour ride on a tandem with your girl, eating 50 barones and drinking beer and stopping for photographs and doughnuts.........now THAT is a Argus worth doing!!!!! :clap:

If you start early like A, B, C or Vets you can do a Sub 3.Later in the day it becomes more difficult due to all the other cycle lists blocking the road having a good time. If you're in a fast group you can do it. On your own is a bit more of a challenge. Training for 2 years and do a lot of kilos. You must be able to do a 100km at 32-34km/h on your own. Bunch ridding and skills is very, very important to sit in a bunch of 100 riders is hectic

As Rydogg pointed out.....if you are in a fast group A-J, and you stick with the front guys, you'll be fine within 3h.

Doing 5hour ride on a tandem with your girl, eating 50 barones and drinking beer and stopping for photographs and doughnuts.........now THAT is a Argus worth doing!!!!! :clap:

Make it A-I, as no one in my J group managed a sub 3 Argus this year :(

+1000

Same as the 94.7.

If you're not racing elite/u23 (maybe VA) don't worry about the time you do, rather worry about the time you have.

Hi, I was also thinking about the same , the easiest is to go to racetec results for the argus and get a couple of guys that did the argus in the front groups names and check on racetec what was their times on die burger the previous year.

Yup. 2008 was my last Argus. Did not have the tandem but did one lap and then the second with the Mrs. Was the best Argus EVER. And no. Did not do a sub 3.

Thanks for the input guys. I have done a couple of long, slow and fun argus's, did some decent training and got down to 3.30 this year. The reason I ask is because my burger time will determine my argus seeding.

oh g0d - is it coming to that time of the year again....so..... i can hide posts from individual people, wonder if i can hide posts with the words "sub 3" in them :unsure:

Your start group will have a huge impact on your time!!!

Yeah, I started in F.

1 rider earned a sub 3, I think, from that group.

True, Rydogg, your start bunch is key.

So, work you way up to the faster bunches by improving your performance in the seeding races, like Burger and 99er in Cape Town.

<_<

A comfortable Burger time in the region of 02:45 or less, and a early starting group (E or up) could secure a sub 3 Argus, if you are lucky to get good weather.

Edited by andrè traut

http://www.racetec.co.za/ShowResults.aspx?RiderId=317448

Here - sub 3 this year. did a 2:52 burger after a crappy DC.

Edit: I agree Andre, good weather it was this this year. I got stuck behind a guy riding 3rd on the E bunch flying up chappies. He blew and slowed the rest of us down - we were hugging the right side against the rock face to get past the earlier guys who weren't in it to win it. That slowed the pace down bad and broke my rhythm. Position in the bunch is crucial.

Edited by Tiny K

i was in F this year, and only 2 guys managed a sub-3. Most of us came in at 3:07, so I would think that a D-group start should be safe

TNT says"don't worry about the time you do, rather worry about the time you have"

These are the most true words I have heard for a long time :thumbup: