[Event] Red Hill Charity Challenge

Lucky Luke.

Event Name: Red Hill Charity Challenge
When: 13 November 2011
Where: Simonstown, Western Cape
Category: Road

The event is a charity event to raise money for the Bicycle Empowerment Network in the Western Cape. It is a tough cycling event that will test the grit and mettle of any cyclist. We urge you to support this event so that it can continue to grow from strength to strength. All donations are tax deductable and the funds raised from this event will be used directly towards delivering free bikes and training to impoverished communities across the

Western Cape.

ENTRIES

Entries are limited to 200 cyclists on a first come first served basis. Once you have entered you will be asked to supply further information for the website. Please do this as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.

HOW IT WORKS

Once you have entered, you will be loaded on to the website where you will then be expected to email your friends and family and direct them to sponsor you on the website. They can sponsor you as little as R100.00. Please only enter the event if you are going to make an effort to raise some money for this worthy cause.

PRIZES

There will be various prizes on the day, with the main prize allocated to the person that raises the most amount of money for the charity.

ROUTE

The route is a 29km lap that starts and ends in Simons Town. The cyclists immediately ascend Red Hill, one of the steepest climbs in the Cape. This is a difficult climb that feels like it is never going to end. Once at the top, they descend at pace and head towards Cape Point. This part of the ride could prove to be very tough if the South Easter is blowing, as the road is not flat up to the top of Smitswinklebaai. Riders then have a fast and scenic 15kms back to the start where they will punch in and start again. Each solo rider will need to complete a minimum of 4 laps, which is 116km in total. Many of the riders will be doing more than the required minimum, clocking well over the 200 km + on the day.

CHARITY

BEN is a not for profit organisation that was started in 2002. BEN is poverty alleviation through the promotion of the use of the bicycle in all of its forms, in order to enhance low-cost non-motorised transport, and improve health through linking exercise and mobility. In collaboration with local and international partners, BEN facilitates the transportation of bicycles from Europe, the Americas and Asia to Southern Africa; the establishment of bicycle workshop projects; distribution of these bicycles to strategically selected groups of recipients; and the planning and introduction of bicycle user paths and integrated linking networks.

BEN has established eight bicycle workshops in the Western Cape, by supplying containers (converted to workshops) and stocking the workshop with bicycles and tools (either new or used). BEC project managers are trained by BEN in business management as well as bike maintenance. All existing BECs are now independent of BEN, but the partnership continues through ongoing training, bicycle supplies, joint events and support.

More about BEN Bikes here ...

Go to Event Page

good cause, good DC training, now well placed in the year (last year i recall it was in the middle of winter), definitely one to do for all these reasons, but who is the sadistic copywriter who wrote the below? :lol:

"Red Hill, one of the steepest climbs in the Cape. This is a difficult climb that feels like it is never going to end."

"This part of the ride could prove to be very tough if the South Easter is blowing, as the road is not flat up to the top of Smitswinklebaai"

Edited by the (other) Nuge

Ye, very worthwhile event to do. BEN do great work taking bikes, training and entrepeneurial skills into the townships.

The copy above sounds like Andrew Wheeldon - he is a glutton for punishment on a bicycle.

• 1 month later...