The sub7 - Majick Forests FUN timed run

nigelhicks

DISCLAIMER:

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT WE ARE LUCKY TO BE ALLOWED TO RIDE HERE - AND THIS IS JUST FOR FUN!!! SO PLEASE BE A COURTEOUS AND NICE RIDER WHEN DOING THIS AND GIVE WAY TO HIKERS, GRANNIES AND DOGS, AND SMOOCHING LIGHTIES - IF THEY STUFF UP YOUR RUN, SO WHAT, CUS ITS ALL FOR FUN ANYWAY! JUST TRY AGAIN NEXT WEEK!

Post your times down ...

It starts at the beacon ... remember to keep the straight line either over or next to the jump next to the fence (See diagram)

From the camel humps after the tight right hairpin continue for 100m through grass then sharp left weaving through undergrowth and then dropping onto the contour next to the dam.

continue down, hugging the edge dam all the way down towards the dam wall of the second dam. At the dam wall there are two options - no real difference so you can choose, left route is less steep.Then continue through sweeps and take right fork near the end

pop out onto farm track and down to the metal dustbin (now mangled)- THE DUST BIN IS THE FINISH!!!!

updated pic to clear any ambiguity (text not that clear in the middle there is a fork where you must stay right to keep alongside the dam) See how everyone goes!

------------------------------------------

THE SUB7 - TOP 10 LEADERBOARD

RIDER

1. BRUSSEL - 5:29

2. MTBMOM - 6:18

3. PETERWEST - 6:25

4. CAPRICORN - 6:48

5. THE WES - 7:00

6. NinjaManiak - 11:29

post-16861-0-78837500-1316504556.jpg

post-16861-0-45671600-1316504567.jpg

post-16861-0-06230000-1316504579.jpg

post-16861-0-61776400-1316504592.jpg

post-16861-0-27968700-1316505201.jpg

Edited by nigelhicks

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just Note: There are a couple of forks, so it might be best to mark the course, very discreetly...

I'm thinking of something like a piece of orange fabric on a post on the outside of the correct fork... Thoughts?

Damn... shows the difference between Bing & Google maps, eh Nige?

Wish Garmin went back to google...

Pay more attention to your fellow hubbers and all problems will be solved! ;) (I have posted this a couple of times)

Been using Google maps since two days after they switched over to bing.

If you using Chrome .... installl Gfix

If you using FireFox ... install Garmin Connect Google Maps

If you using Internet Explorer ... there is something wrong with you, go see a chemist.

For detailed instructions and above mentioned plugins click here ... Voila ... Google Is Back ~!! :thumbup:

Just Note: There are a couple of forks, so it might be best to mark the course, very discreetly...

I'm thinking of something like a piece of orange fabric on a post on the outside of the correct fork... Thoughts?

Then .... maybe make it a bit easier ... i bet the forks are on the long singletrack down past the dam ...

How about ending the track as you hit the bottom trail then? ... You cant get lost and it will be a bit shorter

describe the run so I know EXACTLY where...If I kick your butt I don't want whining later :) hehehehe

It seems like from beacon you take the sweeping track down to the trees, across the first bridge down the rooty drop off then across the second bridge, then the very tight hairpin.

Then you have two options, camelhump or new bridge to the right, down track, hairpin left then drop down onto contour next to dam. Then it looks like a pretty straight run down to the dam wall keeping to the right and not taking the left forks. Then at the dam wall again your have two options: down the rocky steep one on the right and rocky but less steep one on the left. Then through the sweeps keeping alongside the river to come out at the last exit and down to the road where you hit the stopwatch

does that sound like it?

gotta make sure we get this right...I am heading out in 30 min to see how fast :)

describe the run so I know EXACTLY where...If I kick your butt I don't want whining later :) hehehehe

It seems like from beacon you take the sweeping track down to the trees, across the first bridge down the rooty drop off then across the second bridge, then the very tight hairpin.

Then you have two options, camelhump or new bridge to the right, down track, hairpin left then drop down onto contour next to dam. Then it looks like a pretty straight run down to the dam wall keeping to the right and not taking the left forks. Then at the dam wall again your have two options: down the rocky steep one on the right and rocky but less steep one on the left. Then through the sweeps keeping alongside the river to come out at the last exit and down to the road where you hit the stopwatch

does that sound like it?

gotta make sure we get this right...I am heading out in 30 min to see how fast :)

Yup, that's pretty much it. :thumbup:

This can become Cape Towns version of the Dirt 1:04

Post your times down the track ... - for ease of trail finding and to make it more accurate ... i have adjusted the route slightly from what CPTMayhem had.

It starts at the beacon ... remember to keep the straight line either over or next to teh jump next to teh fence (See diagram)

Then near the bottom after you have hit the 2 compressions after teh right hander - as you go onto the grass section turn left down the steeper track that ends as a T-junction on teh lowest trail ... this is the finish ... (see diagram)

See how everyone goes!

Where's the pic gone?

OK guys I have edited teh track a bit from Mayhem and BAnna's track to get rid of the ambiguity of the trail.

Check the new diagrams at the top and go give it a go!

Guys you are aware of the following factors which might spoil our fun.

•  
  • The old tannie with the small little yapping dog on a leash
  • The two 7 year old friends that just got their first bike and is daring each other to ride off the second bridge
  • The teenage guy taking his girl for a romantic walk next to the dam hoping hes going to "score"
  • The Walk for life oomie doing his new best time for the majik trails at 0.000004km per hour

Ok those are the ones that has caused me to go off the track to avoid a collision. Im not even going to start on riders going up the single track and slower riders.

As much fun as it would be to find a mutual track where we could all compete for a beer at the end of the week. I can not help to predict a few horrible crashes when we have MTB riders donned in downhill gear going down a track at death defying speeds that is for all purposes a public space with no access control.

Unfortunately the results of these crashes might not only be a broken fork, rim or even coller bone but the complete banning of MTB's in majic.

Ok Im expecting some hectic flaming for bringing it up but there has to be someone with some sense :blush:

Guys you are aware of the following factors which might spoil our fun.

•  
  • The old tannie with the small little yapping dog on a leash
  • The two 7 year old friends that just got their first bike and is daring each other to ride off the second bridge
  • The teenage guy taking his girl for a romantic walk next to the dam hoping hes going to "score"
  • The Walk for life oomie doing his new best time for the majik trails at 0.000004km per hour

Ok those are the ones that has caused me to go off the track to avoid a collision. Im not even going to start on riders going up the single track and slower riders.

As much fun as it would be to find a mutual track where we could all compete for a beer at the end of the week. I can not help to predict a few horrible crashes when we have MTB riders donned in downhill gear going down a track at death defying speeds that is for all purposes a public space with no access control.

Unfortunately the results of these crashes might not only be a broken fork, rim or even coller bone but the complete banning of MTB's in majic.

Ok Im expecting some hectic flaming for bringing it up but there has to be someone with some sense :blush:

Ya well ... this is just for sh1ts and giggles anyway ... (and to maybe score a free beer) ... so if you have some trail HAZARDS along the way on your fast run ... thats just life ... thats the beauty with a post like this cus if you have a problem with a granny or with some lighties ... still post it ... and see how you go the next time ... Also i think Mayhem has tried to set teh track so that you can see well in advance whats coming so you dont have a headon on the trail - thats also why i edited it to stop it at the T-junction ... cus then you wont have guys jumping at you in the tight singletrack along next to the dam!

But its all just fun so ... just give gran a wave as you skid past her into the fynbos to land on your head

thankfully I work odd hours so I can pick the quietest part of the day :)

Hmmm... night riding here I come! The quitest time in majik is normally around lunch time over weekends. Most people are in Majik early to mid morning and then late afternoon-ish.

seems like you've shortened it considerably? we did it all the way to the parking lot this weekend - which I reckon is doable in sub 7. also, after the 2 compressions - do you mean IMMEDIATELY left after the compressions, or a few metres more down the singletrack and then left?

Capricorn video'd the route we did this weekend...