press fit BB and head set

smerds

Thinking of building parts over to a new road frame, Giant TCR Advanced. I have discovered that the new frame takes a press fit BB and also comes without a headset.

I have ultergra 6700 groupset and would like to know what press fit BB will suite the frame best since I have no experience on this. Also what will be a decent head set ...... and what should I roughly pay for these items.

Looking for fairly decent items but not over the top since I have ultegra and not dura-ace ...

Thanks

Get an Ultegra 6700 pressfit crank then? I would love it if you bought my brand new 105 5700 pressfit crank, but won't match your groupset... Any headset bearings from your LBS should do the trick, don't think there's really that much in a headset to worry about.

I'm not sure about costs, but retail probably around R2,5k for Ultegra and R2k for 105 with the BB I'd guess (just an estimate).

Edited by Edge_Design

Get an Ultegra 6700 pressfit crank then? I would love it if you bought my brand new 105 5700 pressfit crank, but won't match your groupset... Any headset bearings from your LBS should do the trick, don't think there's really that much in a headset to worry about.

I'm not sure about costs, but retail probably around R2,5k for Ultegra and R2k for 105 with the BB I'd guess (just an estimate).

I was under the impression that I will be able to use my existing cranks with the press fit BB ….?

I was under the impression that I will be able to use my existing cranks with the press fit BB ….?

Not as far as I know as the axle (forgive me if this is incorrect termonology :blush: ) would be a different length if there is an internal/pressfit BB versus an external BB as there is a different space between the crank arms. I am not a bicycle technogeek so hopefully someone else will confirm this for you though! If they are the same then I've just wasted a whole lot of money buying a new crank! :o

Also busy with a Giant TCR Advanced bike build.

The Giant TCR Advanced has a BB86 Bottom Bracket shell inside diameter 41mm, shell width of 86.5mm and axle diameter of 24mm.

Something like this will work with your Shimano Ultegra 6700 crankset:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/first-pressfit-bb-t86-bk

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2011-shimano-bb86-bottom-bracket-road-6758.19.1.html

BB86 Service Instructions:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bb90-bb86-bb92-etc-bottom-bracket-service

Shimano Press-Fit BB Technical Docs: (*First two PDF results)

http://www.google.co.za/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q="press-fit+bottom+bracket+adapter"

Not as far as I know as the axle (forgive me if this is incorrect termonology :blush: ) would be a different length if there is an internal/pressfit BB versus an external BB as there is a different space between the crank arms.

I think you are wrong...

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-pressfit-gxp-bb

"A variant of the external bottom bracket, PressFit cut weight by up to 40 grams and provide easier installation by allowing you to press the bearing cups into the frame instead of threading them. There's no change to the crank — spindle length and diameter remain the same."

A press fit or BB30 frame can accommodate a standard GXP crank with the help of a BB adaptor, however a BB30 crank will never fit a standard GXP frame. Get an adaptor and your are sorted.

Edited by andrè traut

phew .... thanks guys

was not looking forward to buying a new crank ....

rather want to save on the crank and see if I can "make the wallet bigga" and get the SL .... ya ya in my drome .....

Get an Ultegra 6700 pressfit crank then? I would love it if you bought my brand new 105 5700 pressfit crank, but won't match your groupset... Any headset bearings from your LBS should do the trick, don't think there's really that much in a headset to worry about.I'm not sure about costs, but retail probably around R2,5k for Ultegra and R2k for 105 with the BB I'd guess (just an estimate).

If that were the case our lives would be so much easier. Those of us who live in workshops, in anyway.

Headsets are a nightmare deluxe. There are several frame head tube diameters. Then there are internal, external and a little-bit-of-both headsets. Lately the tapered thing added to our woes. Finally, dont forget about the different bearing standards. There is 36/45 degree and 45/45 degree. On top of that, the bearings could be 6 or 7mm high.

I forgot to add - Cannondale does its own thing with non-angular contact bearings too. That's a saga on its own.

A good headset service kit would comprise a set of angle and width templates, bearings of all types, shims, several types of compression rings and many types of crown races.

The best advice I can give is to buy a new headset for the correct frame diameters and, make sure it is a standard headset in that it uses 36/45 degree bearings (45/45s look the same but cost 3 times more) made by TH Industries. Then you future bearing replacement should only cost R50 each instead of say R270-00 for those stupid Richey 45/45 bearings.

Edited by Johan Bornman

If that were the case our lives would be so much easier. Those of us who live in workshops, in anyway.

Headsets are a nightmare deluxe. There are several frame head tube diameters. Then there are internal, external and a little-bit-of-both headsets. Lately the tapered thing added to our woes. Finally, dont forget about the different bearing standards. There is 36/45 degree and 45/45 degree. On top of that, the bearings could be 6 or 7mm high.

I forgot to add - Cannondale does its own thing with non-angular contact bearings too. That's a saga on its own.

A good headset service kit would comprise a set of angle and width templates, bearings of all types, shims, several types of compression rings and many types of crown races.

The best advice I can give is to buy a new headset for the correct frame diameters and, make sure it is a standard headset in that it uses 36/45 degree bearings (45/45s look the same but cost 3 times more) made by TH Industries. Then you future bearing replacement should only cost R50 each instead of say R270-00 for those stupid Richey 45/45 bearings.

tnx johan that is great input :thumbup:

Oh well, good for you I was wrong! Sorry about that... When I said any headset from your LBS will work, I meant go and ask them for one and I'm sure they can sort you out, i.e. don't stress about what brand it is.

Oh well, good for you I was wrong! Sorry about that... When I said any headset from your LBS will work, I meant go and ask them for one and I'm sure they can sort you out, i.e. don't stress about what brand it is.

Aag chill China!

Depending on your mood and insecurities, you can take my comments up many ways. Generally I focus on the issue at hand and remain reasonably benign. That was certainly my inention here.