Full Suspension 29er. Which one ?

kandui

I got myself a hard tail 29er beginning of August to see whether I would enjoy it. I have been riding a 26inch Carbon Full Suspension up to now and I must say that I am sold on the 29er. I am 1,9m tall and weigh 88kg and I feel at home on the bigger wheel.

I want to consider getting a 29er Full Suspension, but need some advice on which brand? Both my bikes are Rotwild from Germany, but I am still waiting to hear whether they are planning to launch a 29er FS. I would go for one if they do, but in the meantime, give me your recommendations.

I am not looking at the top end of the price scale, limit yourselves to about 40-50K.

The other option is to get a frame set only . I have full XT on the 29er (3x10) and a good wheelset which I can migrate across.

Edited by kandui

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scott 29r's are also worth taking a look at!

+1

This is what I will spend my money on (if I had it! ;) )

Specialized s-works Epic... they are launching the 2012 frame soon, so you can pick up a 2011 frame at a good price. Also u keep the global warranty now if a Specialized agent builds it up for u. Cant get much better than that!!

The RRP on the frame is aprox $4500.

If you have a full groupset and wheels have a look at the following frames:

Niner Jet 9 RDO (carbon)

Santa Cruz Tallboy (carbon or Alu)

Pivot Mach 429 (alu)

Consider their geometry and perhaps get measured up before you go shopping and get the frame that suits you best rather than shop by brand.

post-615-0-43872500-1316506499.jpg

post-615-0-90989500-1316506520.jpg

post-615-0-55802400-1316506531.jpg

Pivot was one of the first to go with the DWlink if I'm correct.

If they go carbon I recon that 429 would be a monster.

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions rolling in. I have also just been recommended the Trek Superfly 100 for 39k, the complete bike. On import from Germany I can claim back 19% German Vat which brings it down to R 31200. Knocked down into all its parts, no duty applies and I have container service , so no need to import via the Post Office. Any good?

post-17562-0-92262400-1316526905.jpg

Edited by kandui

If you have a full groupset and wheels have a look at the following frames:

Niner Jet 9 RDO (carbon)

Santa Cruz Tallboy (carbon or Alu)

Pivot Mach 429 (alu)

Consider their geometry and perhaps get measured up before you go shopping and get the frame that suits you best rather than shop by brand.

Not mad about the Tallboy. Is the Jet 9 available ?

Some tips if you are going to buy a frame only:

The head tube length of the new frame may be longer than your current bike and thus you may run out of fork steerer tube lenght.

Make sure both have tapered head tube (or both square).

BB type to be the same athough there are some adaptors available.

Some makes (Niner is one) recommend only 2x10 cranks.

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions rolling in. I have also just been recommended the Trek Superfly 100 for 39k, the complete bike. On import from Germany I can claim back 19% German Vat which brings it down to R 31200. Knocked down into all its parts, no duty applies and I have container service , so no need to import via the Post Office. Any good?

Dont shoot the messenger here, but i believe the Superfly series (2011 model... they have made improvements on the 2012 model) have had a lot of problems with their BB and bottom pivot system, and the Santa Cruz Tallboy frames are prone to cracking around the seatpost area.... all the rest are pretty good.

Edited by Paulst12