Looking after bib shorts

pauloc

So I just bought myself 2 new pairs of bibs and although not explicitly stated on the labels, I've heard that machine washing is not advisable. I've tried handwashing with warm water and Omo but I've had limited results (first wash the water came out pitch black so I think the water was too hot and second wash I battled to get the dirt stains off).

Any tips / tricks / products that you guys know of to keeping bib shorts clean and spotless?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Machine wash is fine. Only ever used the machine and never had any hassles.

Chubba's point RE wiping your bum is however valid :lol:

Cold water hand wash with OMO hand washing powder and NEVER use softner!! The softner will destroy the chamois in no time!! NEVER tumble dry, just leave to air-dry and preferably in the shade and avoid direct sun light if you don't want your expensive kit fading...

PS: Reminds me of the old tv advert with Morne Du Plessis: " I gotta do the washing"... LOL!

Life is too short to be washing things by hand.

Simply wash them on the short "delicates" cycle (30 Minutes) at a lukewarm temperature (30 degrees C) in your auto washing machine with only washing powder. Sometimes it is recommended that you put them in a net bag in the washing machine, but I don't bother with that anymore and see no damage. I don't use any fabric softener at all on my cycling clothes because they don't need softening and it clogs the breatability of the fabric. O yes, and never tumble dry.

Edited by DJR

Just dump mine in the wash as normal. They seem fine. Too much admin to wash by hand

+1 - machine wash it is for mine - cold wash too - warm water deteriorates the elastics....

Just dunno what it gets washed with though.... that's my wife's division.

Machine washing is cool.

However, get a lil' netted bag with to help the bibshorts keep it shape.

Avoid spin cycles as it can really stretch those shorts.

My previous shorts have all gone to cycling shorts heaven cos the padding wore out relatively quickly. A lot of people have blamed that on the machine washing I used to do, but it seems like that may not be the case after all. Shweet! I'm not a fan of the handwashing thing so this is great news :clap:

So I just bought myself 2 new pairs of bibs and although not explicitly stated on the labels, I've heard that machine washing is not advisable. I've tried handwashing with warm water and Omo but I've had limited results (first wash the water came out pitch black so I think the water was too hot and second wash I battled to get the dirt stains off).

Any tips / tricks / products that you guys know of to keeping bib shorts clean and spotless?

Why bother mate. Just wear 'em. Nobody here is going to buy them secondhand....apparently. :D

Why bother mate. Just wear 'em. Nobody here is going to buy them secondhand....apparently. :D

Oh well... there goes my business plan :D

Life is too short to be washing things by hand.

Simply wash them on the short "delicates" cycle (30 Minutes) at a lukewarm temperature (30 degrees C) in your auto washing machine with only washing powder. Sometimes it is recommended that you put them in a net bag in the washing machine, but I don't bother with that anymore and see no damage. I don't use any fabric softener at all on my cycling clothes because they don't need softening and it clogs the breatability of the fabric. O yes, and never tumble dry.

+1

Bought three sets of bibs from the dude at First Ascent about 4 yrs ago because he said 'don't sweat, chuck 'em in the washing machine with everything else'.

As I don't do the washing, you better believe they get chucked in with everything else and get softened too. Four yrs later they're still as good as new (apart from sundry holes from me bouncing along the ground).

The chamois' are not plush, but are more comfortable than the plusher ones that I have.

Seriously, if I've got to start being concerned about how to handle bibs after getting off after a ride...!? Hand wash!? You got to be kidding.