CS200 – Not picking up speed

Grondpad

A buddy of mine got his Polar CS200 today and installed it on his bike. Its picking up his HR but not the speed/distance. The magnet and sensor is directly underneath the monitor and within the recommended distance.

Did/does anyone have a similar issue? According to the instruction manual everything seems to be according to the spec. Seeing that the unit is new & the HR works, what can wrong?

A buddy of mine got his Polar CS200 today and installed it on his bike. Its picking up his HR but not the speed/distance. The magnet and sensor is directly underneath the monitor and within the recommended distance.

Did/does anyone have a similar issue? According to the instruction manual everything seems to be according to the spec. Seeing that the unit is new & the HR works, what can wrong?

Well, if it's picking up his HR, that's good. He lives. Now he needs to saddle up and ride some.

The speed should pick up from there.

All the best. :thumbup:

Might be poiting out the obvious here but the magnet and sensor needs to very close to each other for Polar products.

Post a pic, lets see how its mounted. Might help identify the problem.

Might be poiting out the obvious here but the magnet and sensor needs to very close to each other for Polar products.

Post a pic, lets see how its mounted. Might help identify the problem.

Thanks, I'll ask him to post a pick. He did however follow the manual that says 4mm and even went to the point where it was virtually touching.

Edited by Grondpad

Now he needs to saddle up and ride some.

Thanks Drongo. That's what my first questions to him was as well, but he did take the bike for a spin. How far do you think he should go before it picks the speed up? I would think that 1km should do the trick or should it be more?

Polar speed sensors flash a very feint little red light for a couple of revolutions after startup. This indicates that it is reacting to the magnet. Go into a dark place and verify this. However, the light only flashes at the beginning of a session. Let it rest first before looking.

Secondly, these things often have a Bike A and Bike B setting. In Bike B it wont pick up Bike A's sensor and vice versa Swot up on that feature and try again.

The newer Polars won't pick up the older sensors and older Polars wont pick up newer "WIND" sensors. Use the sensor that came in the box.

Thanks Drongo. That's what my first questions to him was as well, but he did take the bike for a spin. How far do you think he should go before it picks the speed up? I would think that 1km should do the trick or should it be more?

Should pick up immediately.

Also ask him if he set the wheel diametre, actualy it might still pick up if he didnt set it.

Try and swop the magnet form the little black one to the bigger sliver/shiny one.

Apparently the little black ones are known for failing. new one costs R 40.00 from polar.

Found that was the problem on mine after sending the speed sensor and watch back 3 times.

Little light use to flash for a few seconds and then goes dead.

Apparently has something to do with the smaller magnets loosing their "charge" and not strong enough to be picked up.

Go to settings and click on seek sensor, it should do a search and find it. If that doesn't work then check for the little red light as suggested by JB.

If that doesn't work I think its probably faulty.

What is the distance from the speed sensor to the head unit? My Polar is very sensitive to that and even approaching the stated maximum distance gives problems where it doesn't register. Try moving the mount to the same side as the speed sensor (contrary to the instruction leaflet).

Also maybe check he has entered in his wheel size. Not sure if it registers a wheel size of 0, but i think the default is 2000cm. Best check though

What is the distance from the speed sensor to the head unit? My Polar is very sensitive to that and even approaching the stated maximum distance gives problems where it doesn't register. Try moving the mount to the same side as the speed sensor (contrary to the instruction leaflet).

I had the same problem. Playing around with this sorted out my problem.