Cape Epic on a hardtail??

JGdp

Hi guys, I'm riding the epic next year, and as you know it cost just short of a 3bedroom apartment in the KLOOF so I have to spend wisely... I have a 26inch soft-tail (2009 model) which I can use, but was wondering if I wouldn't be better off getting a 29er of about R15000-R18000 and doing it on the hardtail?? I'm 21 years old so no back-pains ect yet!! Any advice or experience from your side?? Thanks

Edited by JGdp

Hi guys, I'm riding the epic next year, and as you know it cost just short of a 3bedroom apartment in the KLOOF so I have to spend wisely... I have a 26inch soft-tail (2009 model) which I can use, but was wondering if I wouldn't be better off getting a 29er of about R15000-R18000 and doing it on the hardtail?? I'm 21 years old so no back-pains ect yet!! Any advice or experience from your side?? Thanks

Did it on a HT and I am 19 years your senior.

Why would you buy a new bike?

Is there anything wrong with your current bike?

Before dual suspension bikes and 29'ers everyone rode 26" bikes. Some with front suspension and some without.

Two (crazy) guys did the Epic a while ago on single speed fully rigid bikes.

You dont need the latest and greatest bike for the Epic. It may make some parts slightly easier, but you still have to pedal whatever bike you have...

60% of all the guys who rode the 2011 Epic bought new bikes before the race. Do you really want to be another statistic?

You are about to step into the big trap that is the Cape Epic. Expensive training camps, new drivetrains, or bikes tyres. 6 sets of Assos kit, new white shoes and socks. Compression gear. All these "must haves", hey?

If you want a new bike, then the Epic is fair excuse, but you don't have to get a new bike for the Epic - you might "need" one after the Epic though - the bikes do take quite a beating...

What is your current soft tail? What components and sort of km has the bike done? Why would you even be considering buying a new HT? Are you wanting to race it as hard as you can and therefore thinking a HT will be quicker?

P.S. You can buy my 29er HT for R19000. It's 7 weeks old.

What 29er do you have? I'm also looking at getting 1

60% of all the guys who rode the 2011 Epic bought new bikes before the race. Do you really want to be another statistic?

Statistically speaking 40% did not buy new bikes then and became statistics anyway.

I bought a new bike before both races. 2008 i sold mine and bought an anthem 26er Dual. it was cheaper to upgrade than buy a full set of new running gear.

I bought a HT 29er for 2010 and had as much fun and was way faster. The epic has long distances that are open jeeptrack so you will maybe labour a little more with a duallie but the technical sections wont beat you up as much... either one will be suitable.

Stick with the 26" duel, and if feel the need to upgrade get a good spec shock.

If you have a HT, it can probably be done, but why buy one if you dont have to?

The age old question of the want and the need.

Do you need a new bike? No. Do you want one? Well urmm... yes? Does that answer the question?

Looks like the $ost guys says stick to the 26 dualie!! To give a a background ot the bike-its got A LOT of km on it but has full X0 groupset(2011 models) rock shock SID WC front shock and DT swiss Nude rear shock, ztr alphine rims, and yes, that's about it!!