Indoor Trainers - Advice and Experiences?

Rob K

Hi Hubbers,

After another duel with death on the road today, I am seriously considering getting an indoor trainer for during the week training.

I have seen the Tacx online and am wondering if the more expensive ones are worth the extra money or are they just gimmicky.

I am back on a bike after a 10 year layoff and in those days did have an indoor trainer and found it very boring and difficult to motivate myself to train.

The newer ones of today look quite a bit more modern and maybe easier to stick to a training schedule.

Any advice and experience would be much appreciated.

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Rob

Hi Rob K

Really worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can be boring, but get some good music or movie to watch while spinning. If you have a busy family life then the trainer is ideal for the times you really can't get out for a ride. I got me a 2nd hand basic one and it does the job just fine. If you stay in Cape Town then you would rather battle the trainer than take on the south easter.

Cheers

Trainers are good for when you can't get out, but can be painfully boring.

I had a Tacx Imagic and can highly recommend them. If you have the space, a spare bike and can leave it set-up, the Imagic is very cool. Virtual training, upload GPS rides, Real Life Video and so on.

BUT, If you need to pack up after every session it is a pain in the ass and i would recommend a simpler unit like a Tacx Flow.

Hi Rob K

Really worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can be boring, but get some good music or movie to watch while spinning. If you have a busy family life then the trainer is ideal for the times you really can't get out for a ride. I got me a 2nd hand basic one and it does the job just fine. If you stay in Cape Town then you would rather battle the trainer than take on the south easter.

Cheers

Hi N,

Thanks for the input - trust me that Jo'burg can't be any easier than CT.

How you coping with the boredom issues and how often are you getting to train indoors?

Regards,

Rob

Trainers are good for when you can't get out, but can be painfully boring.

I had a Tacx Imagic and can highly recommend them. If you have the space, a spare bike and can leave it set-up, the Imagic is very cool. Virtual training, upload GPS rides, Real Life Video and so on.

BUT, If you need to pack up after every session it is a pain in the ass and i would recommend a simpler unit like a Tacx Flow.

Thanks for the input Chubba - sent you a PM.

Rob

I've had an infoor trainer for years and hardly used it. Then I broke my collarbone and was advised not to ride outdoors for 6 to 8 weeks. I was allowed to ride the indoor trainer to keep my fitness up and this is what I found:

1. It is BORING - but there are ways to deal with that - The loudest meanest rock music on your I-Pod and ride the bloody thing in anger

2. It is incredibly GOOD exercise - I found the results after 8 weeks so good, I plan to keep using it - it is easier to do things liked timed intervals on the trainer than on the mountain or the road

3. It is difficult to do long sessions - 30 minutes at a time worked well, sometimes twice a day rather than one long stretch

4. Short sharp very high intensity sessions WORK wonders - Simple 10 minutes warm up, then 1 minute maximum effort, 1 minute rest and repeat that 5 times, then 10 minutes cool down.

I bought the Tacx Flow about 6 months ago, it has been used maybe 10 times since then. It is so mind-numbingly boring, even watching TV or listening to music doesn't help. It's pretty handy for when you need to adjust gears and test setup changes, that is all mine gets used for these days. Also good for new riders to get used to cleats without falling. For training, give me the open road any day.

I had a few arm-breaks in the beginning of the year, and had to do the whole indoor trainer thing for almost 7months straight!! I bought a Tacx Flow trainer, excellent toy for not a lot of $, the one's above that is about R5000 more for not that much difference I think, if you want to spend R10000 + you're welcome, but I got mine for R4300 from the shop and never looked back!! PM me if you want training plans for indoor trainers..no problem!! Cheers

I had a few arm-breaks in the beginning of the year, and had to do the whole indoor trainer thing for almost 7months straight!! I bought a Tacx Flow trainer, excellent toy for not a lot of $, the one's above that is about R5000 more for not that much difference I think, if you want to spend R10000 + you're welcome, but I got mine for R4300 from the shop and never looked back!! PM me if you want training plans for indoor trainers..no problem!! Cheers

Welcome Rob

IDT subject has been discussed a lot, try use the SEARCH function and you should get heaps of info.

In short, whatever IDT you get you need some sort of artifical airflow (fan) to cool you down and some other entertainment (dvd, music, virtual cycling etc..) to to prevent boredom and most important a training plan to follow, dont just sit and ride without having a specific goal for each session.

And dont forget something to protect your bike from the sweat that will flow...

If you stay in Cape Town then you would rather battle the trainer than take on the south easter.

:lol: Pansy, so you never ride outside then?

There is nothing better than fresh air and a couple of resistance training molecules to strengthen your muscles!

I have had indoor trainer for more than 4 years and I think I have used it 3 maaaaaybe 4 times. Rather spend money on getting the correct gear for different weather conditions, or build up an old training bike.

Hell, I even got a mtb for the rainy season to have some fun in the mud with.

As they say, there are no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes!

Thanks everyone for the great advice - learning a lot about IDT.

Seems that BOREDOM is the real issue in most cases.

Anyone using the Virtual types?

Rob