Chain slipping

chris_w_65

My chain started slipping in the small cogs today. I replaced the chain and cassette in about April

According to my Park Tool gauge the chain wear is 0.75. For Johan's benefit I hung it from the ceiling and measured between links as 24 1/16"

Was my chain stuffed, the measurements don't seem to indicate it.

Why would a chain just start slipping? I could understand it if I had just replaced the chain and kept an old cassette but I have not touched it since April.

Chris, you don't say how many links were measured. I assume 24, that equates to 0.25% wear, which is halfway through the chain's life.

Worn chains don't slip. Slip is not an indication of wear. A worn chain will shift and work as you'd expect however, it will eat the other drivetrain components in the process to a point where a new chain won't work with cassette.

Chains slip (skate, or ride over the top of the sprocket) from poor wrap - i.e. the jockey is not far enough forward to wrap the chain at least halfway around the sprocket.

Chains jump around sideways from incorrect cable adjustment.

Throw away that Parktool thing. It is a liar and a cheat.

Chris, you don't say how many links were measured. I assume 24, that equates to 0.25% wear, which is halfway through the chain's life.

Worn chains don't slip. Slip is not an indication of wear. A worn chain will shift and work as you'd expect however, it will eat the other drivetrain components in the process to a point where a new chain won't work with cassette.

Chains slip (skate, or ride over the top of the sprocket) from poor wrap - i.e. the jockey is not far enough forward to wrap the chain at least halfway around the sprocket.

Chains jump around sideways from incorrect cable adjustment.

Throw away that Parktool thing. It is a liar and a cheat.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: i can't believe guys still buy and use a chain gauge - it's made by chain manufacturers people!!! they are designed to tell you to buy a new chain when it's only half dead.

I think I see the problem. Sorry I will try explain but I don't know the technical terms

There is a cage with 2 jockey wheels on it, this attaches to the derailleur. Where it attaches it is not moving freely so in my small ring at the front and my small ring at the back my chain is slack. Explains why it was not happening in the big ring.

How do I fix?

I took the cage off. The bolt that holds it on has a sleeve and that sleeve is ceased on. I tried to hold it with a cloth and a vice grip and turn the bolt, it didn't work out too well and it is not pretty, I need to go to the LBS tomorrow.

Hi Johan

How much should I expect to pay for the bolt and the outer plate of the jockey wheel cage for Ultegra 6700? as shown in pic

Thanks.

post-18048-0-32141100-1316635489.jpg

Edited by chris_w_65