FSA Mega Exo Crankset

philip.maree

I bought a FSA Team Edition Mega Exo road crankset. I am having a huge amount of hassles installing it. I cannot seem to torque the crank to spec. I can only torque it to 21nm before the cranks stop spinning freely. The installation instructions requires it to be between 44nm and 55nm. I have search the interweb for solutions and I have added and removed spacers to drive side and non-drive side, installed with and without the inner sleeve of the BB. I am starting to run out of patience.

Anybody else have had similar issues? Any suggestions?

Do you have the correct amount of spacer between the BB shell and the BB cups/bearings? You get 2 types of shell (i think) one is 68 and a 73....then when you install the BB you should only put the spacers in if you have a 68mm shell....but I am not 100% it is the only thing I can think off.

Maybe measure the outside mm of the bearings installed and check if it is correct with the ID of the crank(put together outide the frame)

Hope it points you in some direction....

I found this info

68mm Clamp on 2.5mm spacer 2 x 2.5mm spacers

68mm E-type derailleur bracket 2.5mm spacer 2.5mm spacer plus E-type bracket

68mm Chainguide system 2.5mm spacer 2.5mm spacer plus chainguide

73mm Clamp-on No spacer 2.5mm spacer

73mm E-type front derailleur No spacer E-type bracket

73mm Chainguide No Spacer International Standard Chain Guide bracket only

More info here

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/external-bearing-crank-systems-hollowtech-ii-megaexo-giga-x-pipe-x-type-campagnolo-ultra-torque

Edited by Niner

Do you have the correct amount of spacer between the BB shell and the BB cups/bearings? You get 2 types of shell (i think) one is 68 and a 73....then when you install the BB you should only put the spacers in if you have a 68mm shell....but I am not 100% it is the only thing I can think off.

Maybe measure the outside mm of the bearings installed and check if it is correct with the ID of the crank(put together outide the frame)

Hope it points you in some direction....

I found this info

68mm Clamp on 2.5mm spacer 2 x 2.5mm spacers

68mm E-type derailleur bracket 2.5mm spacer 2.5mm spacer plus E-type bracket

68mm Chainguide system 2.5mm spacer 2.5mm spacer plus chainguide

73mm Clamp-on No spacer 2.5mm spacer

73mm E-type front derailleur No spacer E-type bracket

73mm Chainguide No Spacer International Standard Chain Guide bracket only

More info here

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/external-bearing-crank-systems-hollowtech-ii-megaexo-giga-x-pipe-x-type-campagnolo-ultra-torque

Thanks for the info. The shell is 68mm and I have tried it with the recommended spacers but still the same problem.

But will try it again.

I've used FSA cranks for years. I don't go the torque wrench route, and I've been running them without a single hassle ever, doing jumps, drops etc. What I do is tighten the spindle bolt until the crank is perfect ie no play and spinning freely. Then I tighten the side bolts on the crank arm until it's locked in place at that point, then I nip the spindle bolt tight. Sometimes I've used a drop of loctite on the spindle bolt as well. Never had an issue. Hope this helps you.

I've used FSA cranks for years. I don't go the torque wrench route, and I've been running them without a single hassle ever, doing jumps, drops etc. What I do is tighten the spindle bolt until the crank is perfect ie no play and spinning freely. Then I tighten the side bolts on the crank arm until it's locked in place at that point, then I nip the spindle bolt tight. Sometimes I've used a drop of loctite on the spindle bolt as well. Never had an issue. Hope this helps you.

This cranks is carbon and doesn't have the side bolts, just the spindle bolt. I did what you suggested but was worried that there might be an adverse effect on the BB if the crank is not installed to the specifications. Read on some posts that the LH Crank Arm has come off and things like that since the spindle bolt is the only thing securing it.