Meintjes Has Good Start to Road World Champs

Matt

Meintjes Has Good Start to Road World Champs

Press Release - 21 September 2011

21 September 2011 – Racing is underway this week for road cyclists at the UCI World Road Cycling Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark (19 to 25 September 2011).

Louis Meintjes fared well in the U23 men’s Time Trial, his first year racing in this age category. Meintjes finished in 18th place amongst a quality field and forty seconds away from a top-five finish, in 45:20.65. The winner was Australian Luke Durbridge who nailed the course in 42:47.13. Johann van Zyl finished in 51st place in a time of 47:18.63, with teammate Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg 58th in 48:02.68.

Louis Meintjes.JPG

Louis Meintjes participating in the U23 Men’s Time Trial this week at the UCI Road World Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark © supplied

Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio finished in a credible 30th place in the star-studded Elite Women’s Time Trial yesterday, crossing the line in 40:14.90. Germany’s Judith Arndt took top honours in 37:07.38, followed by Linda Melanie Villumsen (NZL) in 37:29.11 and Emma Pooley (GBR) in 37:31.51.

Racing still to come includes the Men U23 Road Race on Friday, which sees five starters wearing green and gold – Meintjes, van Zyl, Janse van Rensburg, Christopher Jennings and Raynard Butler.

The Junior Men’s Road Race follows on Saturday morning, where late team inclusion Jayde Julius, who has been racing exceptionally well of late and campaigns in Belgium, will be the only contender. Without a team, Jayde will have to ride smart and mark prominent riders.

The Elite Women’s Road Race will finish off proceedings in Copenhagen for Team RSA on Saturday afternoon, where Joanna Van De Winkel and Robyn de Groot will be taking a position in earlier moves – Moolman and Cherise Taylor will be prominent in finishing of the moves.

The team selected to represent South Africa at the UCI World Road Cycling Championships in Copenhagen.

Women Elite:

Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (Road and Time Trial)

Cherise Taylor (Road and Time Trial)

Robyn de Groot (Road)

Joanna Van De Winkel (Road)

Men U23:

Reinardt Janse van Rensburg (Road and Time Trial)

Johann van Zyl (Road and Time Trial)

Louis Meintjes (Road and Time Trial)

Christopher Jennings (Road)

Raynard Butler (Road)

Men Junior:

Jayde Julius