Safety belts on Kids?

Niner

On my commute this morning I noticed that a LOT of people do not wear safety belts and even more important, their kids(or the ones in the car with them) are not wearing seatbelts either.

Now I don’t really care if someone decides not to wear one(Darwin’s law will prevail here), BUT at least your passengers that are under age should wear them? Isn't there a law saying that the driver is responsible to ensure that everyone wears a safety belt? (not sure?)

Anyway, my question is....does the driver of the car get charged with manslaughter when a kid/people in the car dies and the investigation can show that wearing a safety belt could have saved them?

Especially if it is a kid, surely the driver is responsible for that kids life/death?

A parent who does not buckle there kid up,does not love that child!!!!

I have seen a childs teeth stuck in the back of the grand mothers head.Both died in the accident.

Anyway, my question is....does the driver of the car get charged with manslaughter when a kid/people in the car dies and the investigation can show that wearing a safety belt could have saved them?

Especially if it is a kid, surely the driver is responsible for that kids life/death?

The driver of the car that caused the accident is charged for culpable homicide.I have never seen or heard of the other driver charged for a death in his car.If there is only one car then that driver is charged.

I took a photo of one of the mom's at school the other day driving in front of me, todler playing on the back seat. Posted photo on Facebook saying "this is what an incompetent parent looks like". Maybe infertility is not such a bad thing. If only it happened to the right people.

I remember attending to an accident scene years ago with two kids in the back that weren't buckled in, they were about 4 and 6 I think. Mom rolled the car doing 60km on a corner, was a nasty corner that has a negative camber. Everyone was all right in the end, no major injuries, but my commanding officer insisted we bring charges against the driver. Just under a year later she was found guilty of endangerment, reckless and negligent driving and ended up with a 2 year suspended sentence. On top of all that we had to inform child care services who then visited the home for months after. May not seem like much, but her legal fees were in the region of 50 grand and the time it took up and stress of the child welfare visits did take a major toll on the family. Personally I thought it was a little heavy-handed but then I don't have kids and my c/o was fed up with everyone.

I remember attending to an accident scene years ago with two kids in the back that weren't buckled in, they were about 4 and 6 I think. Mom rolled the car doing 60km on a corner, was a nasty corner that has a negative camber. Everyone was all right in the end, no major injuries, but my commanding officer insisted we bring charges against the driver. Just under a year later she was found guilty of endangerment, reckless and negligent driving and ended up with a 2 year suspended sentence. On top of all that we had to inform child care services who then visited the home for months after. May not seem like much, but her legal fees were in the region of 50 grand and the time it took up and stress of the child welfare visits did take a major toll on the family. Personally I thought it was a little heavy-handed but then I don't have kids and my c/o was fed up with everyone.

If it made her think twice the next time, then it was worth every effort/penny. More importantly, if it made her friends, your friends, and now all of us think, then it is all good.

My only real fight, ever, with my former mother in law, was when a found her taking my laaitie to her house - half a k down the road - without strapping him in. She understands now.

Some parents don't learn. This reminds me of an incident when I was still working in a children's ward. 2 year old girl admitted after car accident. Abrasions to her forehead and face which had to be taken care of in theatre(she might have scars for the rest of her life). She was also kept overnight to make sure that she does not have any underlying head injuries.

Following day before discharge the paediatrician asks the parents if they will now please buckle her up in future.

The idiotic father's answer: "but doctor, we can't. She cries when we put her in her car seat"

FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Your child got given a second chance, and you don't have the balls to be a responsible father and buckle her up. So if this man's child wants to play with a poisonous snake, he will probably allow that too!

I saw kids die and others left with brain damage after accidents when they weren't buckled in. So unecessary...

Edited by slowlady

• 7 months later...

Fantastic weekend down the coast. Traffic was really scrappy getting there. Plenty bikes on their way to Margate for Africa Bike Week. All well behaved with one exception of one group.

Traffic back was well behaved, with the exception of one id 10 T. Made worse by the fact that your macho driving style, with limited skill, was exacerbated by the fact that your 6-8 year old son was romping about on the back seat, and standing between the front seats.

And guess what?! When, having traveled at the prescribed speed limit / safe driving speed, I finally caught up with you, you were sitting behind an 18 wheeler waiting for your turnoff.

So, to ND 94868 - You're a Chop mate!

And whilst I couldn't care less; in my usual Freudian fashion, if you wrap yourself around a tree, please try not to be so selfishly pig- headed as to think it is your right to visit that same fate on your wife and child!