what is up with the rand?

Witkop

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the rand in free fall or the last month? CRC has just become expensive....

I placed an order online on Tuesday @ R7,70 odd to the dollar. Today we are sitting at R8,19...

The trend the last couple of months has been that the rand is ridiculously week in the middle of the month, but the first week of the new month it somehow miraculously drops. :unsure:

But yeah, when I saw the exchange rate this morning it was ZAR8.25/$ :eek: It had better get it's act together soon, I need to send money over again!

well if i were a foreign investor and read about all the crap going on in this country, nationalization of mines, protection of information bill, julius malema and the list goes on and on and on, i would also not want to invest here.

i mean south africa has such great potential, and the people in power are making such a cock up of things.

ok that my rant over, but ja i'd also like the rand to get stronger again have a few CRC goodies im also wanting to get sometime

Why is the rand in free fall or the last month? CRC has just become expensive....

Please direct all questions to the illustriuous cANCer and their fat posterboy malema. I am sure they will be able to explain the economic complexities regarding farm grabs and mine nationalisation.

We have a sovereign debt crisis worldwide as well as a European Banking crisis. This leads to everybody avoiding risk and running to traditional safe havens. Emerging market currencies suffer the most during these times as a higher yield normally translates into a higher risk.

Edited by krl747

We have a sovereign debt crisis worldwide as well as a European Banking crisis. This leads to everybody avoiding risk and running to traditional safe havens. Emerging market currencies suffer the most during these times as a higher yield normally translates into a higher risk.

+1 1000

ZAR is an emerging mkt "soft" currency, it has been supported in recent years by speculatory hot money chasing yield/return, but as soon mkts/investors get jittery, that money flows out of soft currencies like the Rand as quickly as it went in.

This is also why you have seen the price of gold skyrocket in recent months, its a safe haven asset, and there has been a flight to safety.

But still don't forget that about 2 year ago ZAR/GBP was closer to 15 and spiked at 17 due to political instability. In my opinion ZAR is still overvalued by about 10%-15%, and this will play itself out as developed markets recover (albeit slowly)

Edited by touristvisa

been supported in recent years by speculatory hot money chasing yield/return, but as soon mkts/investors get jittery,

I'm sorry - what?! :blink:

I'm sorry - what?! :blink:

interest rates in the UK, EuroZone and US are at all time lows, and are being kept low on purpose to try and stimulate growth, even though inflation is running rampant.

If you have a bank account account in these countries you are earning pretty much close to 0% on your cash balances, and money market rates aren't much better. now take into account inflation at over 4% in the UK, effectively you are losing 4% p.a. on keeping your money in the bank. not great hey?

Would you keep it there? or if you could, perhaps look to move it to SA where interest rates are higher and you earn a greater real return on your cash?

interest rates in the UK, EuroZone and US are at all time lows, and are being kept low on purpose to try and stimulate growth, even though inflation is running rampant.

If you have a bank account account in these countries you are earning pretty much close to 0% on your cash balances, and money market rates aren't much better. now take into account inflation at over 4% in the UK, effectively you are losing 4% p.a. on keeping your money in the bank. not great hey?

Would you keep it there? or if you could, perhaps look to move it to SA where interest rates are higher and you earn a greater real return on your cash?

Yes, everyone has their money here for the interest... but as soon as Malema opens his mouth, they all decide to take their money and profits out to the US. Even though they're in a recession there is more confidence in the US$ than in any African currency.

THe demand for rands is low and thats why it depreciates. Your government is destroying our economy. In2 years time the rand will be 20:1 against the dollar. The petrol price will also soar in the next 2 weeks as oil is more expensive to import now.

And dont forget the new proposed wealth tax.

This is the first intelligent conversation that i have seen on the hub in a while. Good work guys. So where is the best place to put my money right now?

Yes, everyone has their money here for the interest... but as soon as Malema opens his mouth, they all decide to take their money and profits out to the US. Even though they're in a recession there is more confidence in the US$ than in any African currency.

Exactly.

Which is why every South African's portfolio (within reason) should have both onshore (SA) and offshore exposure