Show us your pets

tunariaan

Shame man.I was wondering about those tatty birds one sees quite a lot.Is it stress?

It's usually a combination of bad diet and stress. 

Unlike dogs, Parrots are very particular about who they bond with. People get a parrot from a breeder or a pet shop and think the bird will be all cute and cuddly like they see on Instagram. Then when the bird doesn't bond with them, and is aggressive and noisy - they get locked in a cage with a bowl of seeds and that's it. That or they're handed from person to person and the birds develop major anxiety. Parrots experience PTSD like humans.

These parrots need so much stimulation. And a large parrot like the African Greys, Cockatoos and Macaws live in captivity 40-60 years. If you have kids, think of the terrible twos - that goes on for 40 years. 

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My African Grey completely bonded with myself, she's an absolute darling with me but cant stand my wife & daughter :D.

My daughters White Fronted Amazon only partially bonded with her, he is a complete brat, "scream" sometimes just for the sake of screaming, luckily he is not plucking his feathers.

My African Grey completely bonded with myself, she's an absolute darling with me but cant stand my wife & daughter :D.

My daughters White Fronted Amazon only partially bonded with her, he is a complete brat, "scream" sometimes just for the sake of screaming, luckily he is not plucking his feathers.

Exactly this. I was at the sanctuary one day when a woman arrived with her cockatoo - she handed it to me and said I've had him for 12 years - I don't want him anymore will you take him. I started crying. I had to walk away and get someone else to deal. It's ridiculous. They're such a long commitment - bloody hell they last longer than most marriages. 

Exactly this. I was at the sanctuary one day when a woman arrived with her cockatoo - she handed it to me and said I've had him for 12 years - I don't want him anymore will you take him. I started crying. I had to walk away and get someone else to deal. It's ridiculous. They're such a long commitment - bloody hell they last longer than most marriages. 

What can be done to rehabilitate them, make them happy and get them to bond with a new human? 

What can be done to rehabilitate them, make them happy and get them to bond with a new human? 

Good question, would be nice to hear from someone with lots of experience on this.  From my limited experience, once bonded, they don't sommer bond with anyone else.

It's usually a combination of bad diet and stress. 

Unlike dogs, Parrots are very particular about who they bond with. People get a parrot from a breeder or a pet shop and think the bird will be all cute and cuddly like they see on Instagram. Then when the bird doesn't bond with them, and is aggressive and noisy - they get locked in a cage with a bowl of seeds and that's it. That or they're handed from person to person and the birds develop major anxiety. Parrots experience PTSD like humans.

These parrots need so much stimulation. And a large parrot like the African Greys, Cockatoos and Macaws live in captivity 40-60 years. If you have kids, think of the terrible twos - that goes on for 40 years. 

I don't think I am one for keeping a parrot.Most that I have come into contact with did not like me and to be honest they scared me.I imagine they can deal out a nasty bite.I think I will stick to cats and dogs.

Good question, would be nice to hear from someone with lots of experience on this. From my limited experience, once bonded, they don't sommer bond with anyone else.

They can bond with other ppl. Will take a bit of time and Too’s can be very loving and affectionate but also like permanent toddlers and they are noisy!

Bonding happens through, play, training, feeding etc.

As for the plucking Consitency is key and just keep on at it. The birds like routine - and make sure it is not eating sunflower seeds and on a pelleted diet with veg and fruit and access to unfiltered sunlight (ie not just a sunny room) at least 3 times a week.

I don't think I am one for keeping a parrot.Most that I have come into contact with did not like me and to be honest they scared me.I imagine they can deal out a nasty bite.I think I will stick to cats and dogs.

I've always been scared of birds. Even a dove fluttering near me would freak me out. Last year when I was unemployed and decided to spend some time volunteering, I chose to go bird rather than cats or dogs because I figured I wouldn't get all emotionally attached.

Boy was I wrong. These 200 odd birds have all stolen my heart post-44041-0-56046400-1608130156_thumb.jpg

That's Gidget. A very nervous Goffin Cockatoo. I decided I'd try and befriend her. She seems to trust me now but takes convincing to leave her safe space that is her cage.

I could show you guys a pic of a piece of ear that one of the volunteer's husbands lost but I might get a warning

Edited by Uni

I actually don't like keeping any bird in a cage.  I love pets but keeping a bird in a cage is just for me personally wrong.  Birds should be flying.

I actually don't like keeping any bird in a cage.  I love pets but keeping a bird in a cage is just for me personally wrong.  Birds should be flying.

Tell that to an ostrich :lol:

100%  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  a huge part of the rehab centre is education and they push hard especially to school kids - birds are meant to be free in the trees (except ostriches and waterbound ones) - NOT in cages. 

it's the saddest thing seeing a beautiful macaw struggling to make its way down a branch or fence and you just want to scream and the birds and say fly - you can fly!!!! 

No doubt there are birds that are well treated and have a healthy relationship with their human - but the exotic animal trade is ridiculous and having them as companion animals adds to the demand sadly. 

An update on my new "pets"

Hoot has had his bandages removed. Now we need to see if he can use his wing. If ok then will release where he was found

post-11947-0-93913700-1608269945_thumb.jpg

Vladimir is doing well. Puts weight on the leg and is now flapping between perches. He is also actively going for prey items we drag through the cage.

post-11947-0-88767500-1608270347_thumb.jpg

Babette is not doing so well. She is not grasping with her right claw and this will seriously impede her rehabilitation. Vet thinks there is nerve damage.

post-11947-0-71581800-1608270454_thumb.jpg

I am petrified of birds

This comes from when I was little and a peacock chased me across a busy road

Funny thing had a bite to eat while waiting for my nephew's plane to land and a stupid damn birdie decided to come help itself to some of my leftovers.

Little did he know that I did really good being able to snap a pic in my near frozen state

So yeah I'll be sticking to cats and dogs.

post-39623-16082712947665.jpg

I am petrified of birds

This comes from when I was little and a peacock chased me across a busy road

Funny thing had a bite to eat while waiting for my nephew's plane to land and a stupid damn birdie decided to come help itself to some of my leftovers.

Little did he know that I did really good being able to snap a pic in my near frozen state

So yeah I'll be sticking to cats and dogs.

attachicon.gif20201216_111122.jpg

I have a pair of red winged starlings nest in my bougainvillia on the balcony for years now. They are highly intelligent and get quite tame around people. My neighbour feeds them fom time to time and the female comes when he calls and she eats out of his hand (right or wrong, it is still nice to see these things live in a cityscape like ours).