Show us your pets

tunariaan

10 hours ago, Matthew du preez said:

another one i love is the Belgian Malinois

Be Terrified

be50230d6154d91473a22df6facffa9c.png

That's what my guy is. If you want one be prepared for for a dog that draws a crowd wherever he goes.

He's a proper handful at times but he is switched on like no other dog I've ever seen. Honestly tho I don't think he's any worse from a chewing and destroying furniture perspective than my Shepard was at this age. I had a Shepard before and he was/is also super smart.

I'm no dog expert. So when we got him we watched a few vids. They all say that if you can't keep the dog mentally and physically stimulated then don't get one. So he gets walked EVERY day rain (he's not a fan) or shine and the walks incorporate some training. He also gets a dedicated 15-20 minutes every day of training. And he also gets a bit of play time with balls and tug toys. Doing that religiously seems to keep him from tearing up the garden and chilling next to mom most of the day. He also gets a fresh bone/achilies every week to keep his teeth away from the table legs.

The cats are dicks and play straight into his chase/hunt instincts.

I'm a big believer in dog training for all dogs after my Shepard and this guy is going to finish his puppy classes and then move on to something a little more intense. Of all the dog breeds if one wants a Shepard type of dog I believe it really has to be stimulated and worked. It makes them happy. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, DJR said:

Strange how people decide on names, but memorable.

Ulf is named after the Neo Nazi brother in the TV show Dogs of Berlin. My step daughter describes him as HOOOOOOOTTT.

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

That's what my guy is. If you want one be prepared for for a dog that draws a crowd wherever he goes.

He's a proper handful at times but he is switched on like no other dog I've ever seen. Honestly tho I don't think he's any worse from a chewing and destroying furniture perspective than my Shepard was at this age. I had a Shepard before and he was/is also super smart.

I'm no dog expert. So when we got him we watched a few vids. They all say that if you can't keep the dog mentally and physically stimulated then don't get one. So he gets walked EVERY day rain (he's not a fan) or shine and the walks incorporate some training. He also gets a dedicated 15-20 minutes every day of training. And he also gets a bit of play time with balls and tug toys. Doing that religiously seems to keep him from tearing up the garden and chilling next to mom most of the day. He also gets a fresh bone/achilies every week to keep his teeth away from the table legs.

I'm a big believer in dog training for all dogs after my Shepard and this guy is going to finish his puppy classes and then move on to something a little more intense. Of all the dog breeds if one wants a Shepard type of dog I believe it really has to be stimulated and worked. It makes them happy. 

THIS.

1 hour ago, Matthew du preez said:

no i'm in magaliesburg

ah ok, I was going to suggest you contact a contact of mine wrt training for PP, but they are in Jozi.

2 hours ago, DJR said:

I can tell you the names of dogs I worked with 20 years ago, while I forgot the names of the owners loooong ago.

Some strange names among then, like Cargo and Cash. Cash got his name because he cost a pretty penny and the breeder insisted on payment in paper money. Cargo was imported from the USA and came in a crate with the word Cargo written in big letters on it. One Labrador was named Gertie but her owner never called her anything but Fat Bitch. Everyone else were kind enough to use her real name. Also lots of shooting related names (all gundogs) like Rigby and Nitro. One guy caled all his dogs girl names starting with an M, Muffin, Martha etc. Still waiting for a Muppet. My own dogs names all have a connection with their colours, Coco, Rufus etc.

Strange how people decide on names, but memorable.

Ja... I decided to stick to his pedigree name as I couldnt decide. nothing worse than naming your dog Zeus and he ends up being more like Zet.... haha

my first male was Rambo, he wasnt a Rambo, he was a clown dog who I still miss.

the second dog (bitch) was Xena, my ex wife named her and this was spot on as she was a princess warrior (the dog, not the ex). its been a year since Xena crossed the rainbow bridge and even typing this still gets to me.

Quintus was born Quintus, i decided that that is what it will be left at. I sometimes call him Maximus (yes from the movie) because he is afterall a soldier of Rome.

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

................. I'm no dog expert. ..................

From your post I think you are already doing better than some experts.

5 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

How are they when it comes to loosing fur... asking from an allergy perspective

35 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

How are they when it comes to loosing fur... asking from an allergy perspective

I'd describe him as a short hair German Shepherd ITO fur. 

14 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

Ive only ever been bitten by ridgebacks so im not quite a fan

I have had the exact opposite experience to you. I have only ever been bitten by rotties and one of the best and most intelligent dogs I've ever owned has been a ridgeback.

15 minutes ago, l4y3rcake said:

I have had the exact opposite experience to you. I have only ever been bitten by rotties and one of the best and most intelligent dogs I've ever owned has been a ridgeback.

Jip. Likes and dislikes of dog breeds are more often than not formed on this basis. Dont worry i wont hold it against you ????

im definitely not trying to persuade anyone that rotties are better than breed x/y/z. ????????????

#allk9smatter

Edited by gemmerbal

17 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Jip. Likes and dislikes of dog breeds are more often than not formed on this basis. Dont worry i wont hold it against you ????

im definitely not trying to persuade anyone that rotties are better than breed x/y/z. ????????????

#allk9smatter

100% agree. I've never owned a rottie and the people that I knew growing up that did own them weren't the most savoury type, so that plays a big part in the temperament. I must say that old Brutus(ridgeback) was very protective of his family and would growl at anyone that looked dodge around us. He also didn't play well with our german shepard.

Edited by l4y3rcake

1 hour ago, l4y3rcake said:

100% agree. I've never owned a rottie and the people that I knew growing up that did own them weren't the most savoury type, so that plays a big part in the temperament. I must say that old Brutus(ridgeback) was very protective of his family and would growl at anyone that looked dodge around us. He also didn't play well with our german shepard.

I have come across other rottie owners who i found to be very obnoxious. I believe dogs are a reflection of their owners. You can also learn a helluva lot about someone by the way they treat their fur-babies. 

29 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

I have come across other rottie owners who i found to be very obnoxious. I believe dogs are a reflection of their owners. You can also learn a helluva lot about someone by the way they treat their fur-babies. 

I have a Rottie which was raised by Labrador. 

People are amazed by his nature, which is very similar to the lab, but his "protective of the family side" kicks in when needed. He learnt from the lab how to beg for attention, which i don't see in other Rotties, but it's not a terrible thing either.

Rotties are top dogs