Otter trail run

tunariaan

Anyone running it next week

Good luck, i was also suppose to run this but due to work commitments i cant make it anymore

Looks like it will be a bit wet on the day

Those stairs will kill you eventually. I did it about 2 years ago, very enjoyable. But with them ramping the entry fees up so much I won't be doing it again. Its a money making racket now.

Ok I have hiked the otter trail twice(5 days at a time). I cannot believe that people actually run this route in one go, you will have to be super fit!! This run must feel like doing the Attakwas twice!! And the one year the winner did it in less than five hours(if I recall correctly)!! Eish Wena.

Hats off to everyone who has done this, and everyone running it this year!

Ok I have hiked the otter trail twice(5 days at a time). I cannot believe that people actually run this route in one go, you will have to be super fit!! This run must feel like doing the Attakwas twice!! And the one year the winner did it in less than five hours(if I recall correctly)!! Eish Wena.

Hats off to everyone who has done this, and everyone running it this year!

Ek het hom gedoen in 8.5 ure. Gedink ek's mos fiks, sal hom looi in so 6.5-7 ure. Riiiight.

There is two

The run and the ramble

I have hiked it 3 times and love that coast.

If I was fit enough I would do it.

I would also love to do the Mont Aux Sources run.How much is that out of interest?My mates go down every year for it.Also a helluva waiting list

MXsources has a huge waitimg list

it,s getting very expensive, last year i think it was close to R2000, this year it like R2600 something

Its quite hard and very hilly, the last section that quite flat can kill you if you dont have legs anymore

In the beginning there used to be alot of freebies but like all these sort of posh races it becoming expensive and you dont get any value for money back

tickets are hard to get and sice i have mine for this year i should have a entry option if i have the money

i wan to run a Sub 5:30 and then after that try something like the Skyrun

it,s getting very expensive, last year i think it was close to R2000, this year it like R2600 something

Its quite hard and very hilly, the last section that quite flat can kill you if you dont have legs anymore

In the beginning there used to be alot of freebies but like all these sort of posh races it becoming expensive and you dont get any value for money back

tickets are hard to get and sice i have mine for this year i should have a entry option if i have the money

:blink: You are going to have a problem entering this year.......it happened a couple of weeks ago sunshine

@ kranswurm it happens on Friday and i had a ticket that i sold 2 weeks ago cause i cant make it so i would have been perfectly in time sunshine!

Here,s the latest news....

Big guns gather for the Grail of Trail

Rarely are there more than a handful of trail runners at any one event with the ability to take line honours. To put this into perspective, most events are a bit like a 100-metre final with Usain Bolt running against seven runners who didn’t qualify for the final. Now, for the first time, a local race will have 10 men with the ability to win the race, at the start. All eyes will be on these runners and the 4:48:53 race record when The Otter - African Trail Run presented by Hi-Tec starts on 30 September.

This 42-kilometre trail run traverses the Otter Hiking Trail, a popular five-day hike within the Tsitsikamma section of the Garden Route National Park. The Otter Run was first held three years ago and Iain Don-Wauchope broke the mythical five-hour barrier to win the race in 4hrs 59mins. Last year the race record dropped when John Collins ran 4:56:43. Collins’ reign as ‘Otter King’ was short lived. 24-hours later Andre Gie, taking part in the Southern Storm Duathlon, which began with the running of The Otter, set a new record of 4:48:53 when he finished only 12-seconds ahead of Don-Wauchope.

Collins and Gie will be under pressure this year, surrounded by a half-dozen runners just as strong, fast and experienced – each with recent wins in credible trail races. They’ll be up against Rohan Kennedy, who won this year’s African X; Mark Preen comes off a win at the Hout Bay Trail Run; Jacques Mouton won the Outeniqua Traverse and Nic de Beer won the 80km PUFfeR. Bruce Arnett has the most distance experience in his legs with endurance honed from experience. Plett local, Victor Gugushi is the lightest of the runners with a speedy road background. If he takes care of himself and paces his race, he could be in contention. Greg Goodall is the dark horse of this race. A dedicated runner, his training has been specific and focused on The Otter, which may be the right formula to get him through the course ahead of the rest. Unfortunately Don-Wauchope won’t be running this year; he’s out with an injury.

For the first time, Ryan Sandes, who has become the face of trail running in the media, comes to run The Otter. With Sandes in the picture, all eyes will be on him to challenge the record. In only three years he has become a high-profile trail runner on the international stage. His performances continue to strengthen as he transforms from a multi-day desert staged race runner to an exceptional ultra runner and his recent win at the celebrated Leadville 100-mile race in Colorado, USA, stands as proof of this evolution. The Otter will certainly be Sandes’ most competitive local race with its gathering of exceptional runners.

“What a field!,” says race director Mark Collins. “The R5,000 reward, offered to runners breaking 4h30, by presenting sponsor Hi-Tec is certain to go to one of these guys. They all have speed, strength and the experience to really excel on this technical route and they’ll push from the start. In good conditions, with so many competitive runners upfront challenging each other, serious damage could be done to the current record making it far more difficult to better in coming years.”

The 42-kilometre stretch of undulating Garden Route coastline is no walk in the park. Participants run above plunging sea cliffs and negotiate rock-strewn trails, sandy beaches, treacherous tree roots, gruelling climbs and at least three river crossings.

The Otter - African Trail Run presented by Hi-Tec takes place on Friday, 30 September 2011. The event can be followed through www.magneticsouth.net.

--

Thea-Mari van der Sandt

www.theamari7summits.com

Looks like it is going to be quite an exciting race this year! I did not know that Ryan Sandes was going to be there, awesome :thumbup: I will look forward to the results.

@ kranswurm it happens on Friday and i had a ticket that i sold 2 weeks ago cause i cant make it so i would have been perfectly in time sunshine!

As per your post...we were talking about the Mont Aux Sources mate

Unquote

sorry maat , bietjie van n misverstand daar, ekt van die otter gepraat

Seems like Ryan got a last min entry, going to be a very interesting one