Traveling SA on my mtb

JGdp

Hi guys, we live in THE BEST country in the world in my opinion. Me and my dad have been going on 3-4 day trips on our mtb's since I was in grade 12, doing about 120km a day!! Sleeping at the town we are closest to at around 2/3 a clock in the afternoon, and just seeing new places and enjoying the scenery!!

I want to do more of these trips around

SA, preferably going on holiday on my bike and then my mom coming through with the car/clothes etc later on!! Do you guys do trips like this as well?? If so, can you give some tips about routes, I don't want to ride on tar roads, so gravel only, don't mind taking the long/toughest route, just want to ride and see places!! Is there any website/book that has routes to use which is only farms roads etc?? The whole idea is to basically do a "multi-stage" type of thing with 1/100th of the cost...just riding for fun!! Any feedback...?? thanks

Hi guys, we live in THE BEST country in the world in my opinion. Me and my dad have been going on 3-4 day trips on our mtb's since I was in grade 12, doing about 120km a day!! Sleeping at the town we are closest to at around 2/3 a clock in the afternoon, and just seeing new places and enjoying the scenery!!

I want to do more of these trips around

SA, preferably going on holiday on my bike and then my mom coming through with the car/clothes etc later on!! Do you guys do trips like this as well?? If so, can you give some tips about routes, I don't want to ride on tar roads, so gravel only, don't mind taking the long/toughest route, just want to ride and see places!! Is there any website/book that has routes to use which is only farms roads etc?? The whole idea is to basically do a "multi-stage" type of thing with 1/100th of the cost...just riding for fun!! Any feedback...?? thanks

Can't offer you any advise or help really,but I think you got a brilliant idea there. Go for it and enjoy !! I went to Bethlehem two weeks ago with a friend and we cycled around there(Bethlehem-Clarens) area with another friend form the area,absolutly awesome, I just wish I can do it more and more often,but work is forever in my way Grrr.

post-2571-0-35277500-1316852275.jpg

post-2571-0-18842300-1316852466.jpg

Edited by baie-sukkel

Dude, do it!!! During the world cup we had many Europeans cycling down through Africa and then touring our country.

I know there are many here on the hub that have done short routes here in the Cape.

Personally I plan to do the Route66 from Franschoek to PE in the next 18mths (would have done it next year but just changed jobs).

You could contact Frail (David) as he has the most experience on the Hub of long distance trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you thought of riding through Lesotho? I haven't done it, but stayed at Sani Lodge in April and met two groups of guys who had ridden from Joburg to Clarens and then all the way through Lesotho. The Lesotho highlands are largely dirt road and its quite an experience to see it!

Have you thought of riding through Lesotho? I haven't done it, but stayed at Sani Lodge in April and met two groups of guys who had ridden from Joburg to Clarens and then all the way through Lesotho. The Lesotho highlands are largely dirt road and its quite an experience to see it!

we went hiking in Lesotho in December, it would be pretty tough, but crazy NOT to try it..good idea to maybe start there, not as many cars and taxi's etc on the roads, just the occasional donkey or 2...thanks hey

Maybe look at the Freedom trail? Theres a website that explains the route. Its from Petermaritzburg to Capetown, all off road. Its the same route as the Freedom challenge, but can be done as a tour.