The sub5 - Tokai Forest FUN timed run

LazyTrailRider

OK, so there's the Majik Forest FUN timed run which has evoked a great bit of competitiveness and banter here, so why don't we do a Tokai one too? Needless to say, the same logic and sensibilities apply around safety and respect for other trail users. That doesn't mean it can't result in a bit of competition :)

So what's the route? Start at the top of DH2, bounce over the gnar, across the road, down into the big berm and over the roots, following vasbyt all the way down to the bottom (but skipping the current sand-bridge-dropoff-sand section (instead doing the S-bend around it), through the quarry, onto the road, left smooth drop off the road, left into the little double and berm, into another berm, over the pallet and around the last few switchbacks, finishing right at the little water-crossing as you exit onto the road again.

post-3655-0-23417400-1316463519.jpg

There's a fair bit of pedalling involved, so it's not a simple DH-bike-winner scenario here. All in all, I reckon it's a pretty good all-round test of both fitness and skill.

Two of us did the first tentative run today following each other down, bouncing all over the place on DH2, and sucking on the pedalling. So, post your times and I'll update the leaderboard! Sub 5min should be very attainable here...

Rider(s)/Time

1. Heinrich - 5:05

2. Martin/Simon - 5:22

3. Pain or Shine - 4:45 (note: started at the berm and didn't pedal)

Edited by Martin Hattingh

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start at the top of dh 2? What about the new track?

Well, I was thinking that the new section is almost too freeride/DH oriented, it would be good to include only sections that anyone can ride (and everyone is familiar with) to even things out a bit, but it's not a bad idea at all. Truth be told, I rode it for the first time yesterday, and have to admit that it's pretty damn cool...

You're welcome to do splits and break your time up and post both!

Well, I was thinking that the new section is almost too freeride/DH oriented, it would be good to include only sections that anyone can ride (and everyone is familiar with) to even things out a bit, but it's not a bad idea at all. Truth be told, I rode it for the first time yesterday, and have to admit that it's pretty damn cool...

You're welcome to do splits and break your time up and post both!

Does'nt DH 2 come out above Vasbyt? The new track comes out away from Vasbyt, or am I confused due to not riding there for a while? :blink:

Does'nt DH 2 come out above Vasbyt? The new track comes out away from Vasbyt, or am I confused due to not riding there for a while? :blink:

Hmmm, OK, I'm confused. Disregard my previous statement then, maybe I'm just referring to DH1/2 (the track that crosses Boulders), and not the new track at all. I generally (to my disadvantage, quite obviously!) don't pay attention to the named signage boards :D

I was thinking about coming down the top of Boulders, then turning right onto what I'm presuming is called the DH track (instead of crossing over it), then hitting that nicely sculpted tabletop, log drop, tight berms etc and coming out onto the road where the DH2 sign is. Is that technically DH1?

The new track starts and finishes at the same places as dh 1 but is way less rocky and more fun. The jumps take a while to get right but when you get the rhythm right its super sweet . Low flying through the trees. And all smooth on a hardtail. I have done from the top of dh 1 to the bridge at the bottom on my dh bike in 5 mins 20. With fitness i could get under 5 mins easily i reckon. Top of dh 2 to the bridge 4. 30 ?

anarchist just made me the fun police.. :o

I think the only fun I am going to spoil is in making you all look bad. I will do it in 4!

Edited by Pain or Shine

~ hmmm ~

fun police just said hmmm.. :P

I think the only fun I am going to spoil is in making you all look bad. I will do it in 4!

Lotsa sharp people awake by 12h00 :lol:

Edited by DJR

Hmmmm.

(Actually meaning "You're on!") :P

ah, we speak the same language MH..

I am already thinking of excuses, but ok.. just remember the surface is going to start getting loose and.. ok, ok. You're :blink: on.