1st pair of cleats/MTB shoes

Active Monkey

Hi guys, need some advice on te above.. Till now iv been ridibg with skater type shoes and want to switch to cleats/MTB shoes. What advice cqn you give? Which is best brand etc...

Can`t go wrong with Shimano pedals and shoes or Sidi shoes. The more R the better they usually are. At first set the pedal to be as soft as possible to get your foot out. Try to ride around first just to get used to them. It is normal to fall in the beginning when you forget to twist your foot out sideways, but this happens when almost standing still so normally no harm done. When you are used to this the benefit is massive.

I recently switched to cleats and went the egg beater route with spez shoes. Took some getting use to. Fell twice and now loving it

I recently switched to cleats and went the egg beater route with spez shoes. Took some getting use to. Fell twice and now loving it

Yip, also did the "tekkie" thing. Great improvement with cleats. You kinda feel "part" of you bike. Start of with the pedals loosely tightend, but you will move it have more grip later.

Saw in the Bicycling mag on the weekend that probike also now makes shoes.

Shoes and pedals are a personal thing, especially shoes. Sidi are super comfy and well made though, also try the offerings from Giro. I've got a pair of the Giro shoes and I'm loving them.

If you're on a budget, Serfas, Olympic and the new Probike shoes are damn good value for money.

As far as pedals go, Shimano SPDs, tough as nails, reliable and inexpensive!

Wouldn't recommend the olympic shoes, not very confortable, and after a few months I ended up buying spez. When starting out, dont forget to lube your peddals, makes getting your feet out a bit easier when you learning.

Best thing you can ever do, you will never look back!

Wouldn't recommend the olympic shoes, not very confortable, and after a few months I ended up buying spez. When starting out, dont forget to lube your peddals, makes getting your feet out a bit easier when you learning.

Best thing you can ever do, you will never look back!

+1. Good Investment

Pedals as stated are a personal thing. I started with Shimano (PD520's) and switched to Crank Brothers Egg Beaters (Candy's). After riding with them for a while, I switched back to the Shimano SPD's. There was too much float with the eggies for my liking. The SPD's are also bullet proof. I had no issues with engaging and disengaging with mud. 5 years on and no bearing issues either. Never been stripped or serviced. Really tough and durable. Not as light as the eggies but IMO better.

For shoes, decide if you want the race snake stiff carbon type sole or the takkie type more flexible shoe that is better suited to walking. If you commute then the takkie type might be better, A friend rides in the Spez takkie type and somebody else I know uses the Mavick takkie type and they rave about them especially the Spez. I walked up Sani pass and trashed a pair of Diadoras...

Remember that you get what you pay for and if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Buy shoes for R400 and expect R400 worth of comfort and use out of them. I learnt the hard way!

Whats your take on the olipics mtb shoe? Seem to go for about 700...

I'm assuming that's Olympics, iv'e had a pair for the past 2 years and have no issues with them.

Whats your take on the olipics mtb shoe? Seem to go for about 700...

My first pair were Olympics. Lasted about 6 months and got launched. The "rubber" on the soles parted from the plastic underneath. They were bloody uncomfortable to walk in and I know you aren't supposed to walk in them, but at the weekend warrior level, that is a reality. I wouldn't buy another pair. Replaced them with a pair of Diadora Geckos:

post-17843-0-61424400-1317040494.jpg

They took about 5 years of abuse. Walked Sani Pass twice and lots of water and mub. Replaced them with a pair of Diadora XC Comp. Haven't walked in them yet so I can't comment!

post-17843-0-27964400-1317040736.jpg

I also used the Diadora Geko's, had them 8 years in total where I abused them for 4 years...as I used them 3 years...took a break of 4 years and used them for a year now...Upgraded to Sidi's as they were to small :(