GT avalanche 3.0 upgrade or replace..?

markgc

My wife has had this GT bike for a few months, its quite entry level, does the job but its very heavy and I can see she is battling !

Do you thinks its wise to upgrade the shock and wheelset or rather just replace the entire bike?

My wife has had this GT bike for a few months, its quite entry level, does the job but its very heavy and I can see she is battling !

Do you thinks its wise to upgrade the shock and wheelset or rather just replace the entire bike?

Get a new bike.

is it that bad??... in that case. what recommendations are there.. Budget 10-12k. I need to get a size small or extra small if there is.

I upgraded my GT Avalanche 1.0 over time and ended up getting it into a decent racing machine. Problem is that you'll need to upgrade a lot of components to get to a 'light' bike cos it's a fairly heavy frame(about 1.8kg).

There are some quick wins however - get a new cockpit. You'll be shocked to see how much the stock GT handlebar, stem, etc weigh! Then as you said you can drop off a lot more with a new wheelset and an air fork, but then you're starting to spend some dollars.

Do the sums beforehand to determine how much you're in for and then you can make an informed decision about whether to upgrade / buy a new bike.

Get a GT Karakoram or Momsen Alu 329 or 300. Then you have a hard tail 29er! Or go with what Berg Bok says. A mate of mine has a Scott 60 and it is a very nice bike.

is it that bad??... in that case. what recommendations are there.. Budget 10-12k. I need to get a size small or extra small if there is.

Your budget is fine. The sizing might be your problem. My wife rides an extra small and you aren't exactly spoilt for choice in that size range. We ended up buying a second hand extra small GT Avalanche 1.0 frame and transferring the parts from a Silverback something across (Recreational riding only at this stage. Mainly dirt roads and tar)because we couldn't find an extra small bike new.

What size is she riding at the moment?

Your budget is fine. The sizing might be your problem. My wife rides an extra small and you aren't exactly spoilt for choice in that size range. We ended up buying a second hand extra small GT Avalanche 1.0 frame and transferring the parts from a Silverback something across (Recreational riding only at this stage. Mainly dirt roads and tar)because we couldn't find an extra small bike new.

What size is she riding at the moment?

thanks for all replies.. she is riding a small at the moment (16")... just weighed that GT in at LBS and it came in at 15.6KG, no wonder she is kaput after 30kays !

I see Scott even has XS.

thanks for all replies.. she is riding a small at the moment (16")... just weighed that GT in at LBS and it came in at 15.6KG, no wonder she is kaput after 30kays !

I see Scott even has XS.

My 6" trail bike weighs in at around that so I know how she feels... :P