Polar RCX5 underwater HR

Ramcat

Hey Guys,

Recently started training for Ironman and decided to buy the new Polar RCX5 as it seems to be directed at triathletes as it is suppose to allow you to record HR while swimming too. The HR works perfectly during running and cycling. Unfortunately It doesn't seem to work at all under water. I have browsed the net and it seems to relate to the salt water. I have only used it in the pool at Virgin Active and i am not sure if this salt or chlorine. Even went as far as sitting under water attempting to get it to work(Must have looked rather strange) but it stops reading as soon as the strap or watch go under water.

Anybody else have this watch or these issues?

The problem with heart rate monitors and water is that the signal gets lost between the transmitter and receiver. No signal, except if it is wired, will work under water.

I read that some people tie it around the transmitter belt and that helps. But then after a swim you need to remove it and put it on your arm.

The problem with heart rate monitors and water is that the signal gets lost between the transmitter and receiver. No signal, except if it is wired, will work under water.

I read that some people tie it around the transmitter belt and that helps. But then after a swim you need to remove it and put it on your arm.

Hi AndreZA

I bought this watch because they advertised it as being able to record under water:

"New Strap Technology - 5kHz and 2.4 MHZ

The newly designed Wearlink Hybrid chest strap will allow you to transmit at two different frequencies. This is key because it is the first Polar watch in history that allows you to take advantage of two distinctly different technologies. While swimming you can use 5 kHz to pick up heart rate while swimming, however the G5 GPS unit will need to be placed in a swim cap because it is not waterproof. Still Polar has the only watch technology that gathers heart rate data from the swim now that Suunto has discontinued its Memory belt."

I used my old f6 HRM while swimming with no problem at all, except the strap kept slipping down when I tumbleturned. Polar's helpful reply to my question on whether there was a swimming strap was, "wear a T shirt or a Tri Vest"

Ti..... swimming in dust and tumbling in dust does not count as swimming ... I have seen the pictures of that dustbowl

• 7 months later...

Hi AndreZA

I bought this watch because they advertised it as being able to record under water:

"New Strap Technology - 5kHz and 2.4 MHZ

The newly designed Wearlink Hybrid chest strap will allow you to transmit at two different frequencies. This is key because it is the first Polar watch in history that allows you to take advantage of two distinctly different technologies. While swimming you can use 5 kHz to pick up heart rate while swimming, however the G5 GPS unit will need to be placed in a swim cap because it is not waterproof. Still Polar has the only watch technology that gathers heart rate data from the swim now that Suunto has discontinued its Memory belt."

Hi,

The thread is a bit old... if you're around, did you sort out his problem? I see Polar suggests that you use the coded T31 transmitter when swimming in salt or chlorinated water. Maybe this was the problem.

Anyone else been having the same problems (or any other major ones)? I'm about to buy a RCX5, and would really appreciate the heads up!