Hill training in Centurion

So I did the Race for Victory this weekend and discovered that the legs are firing on the flats but not so much up the hill through Suikerbosrand...

Does any body know where I can do some decent hill training in or around Centurion? I do most of my training on the IDT but I am in dire need of some hill training...

Thanks in advance...

Klapperkop!

Thanks Scalpel,

I've heard a lot of guys saying they ride at Klapperkop, but how does one get there? Don't know the area so well... Any additional info about Klapperkop will be appreciated...

Although Centurion is quite hilly, most are fairly short hills, for longer climbing training most go out to Klapperkop - good climb starting from fountains to the top of Klapperkop. Has become a bit of a pain with all the speed humps but otherwise a great road for cycling - nice and quiet and even some game to watch (zebras).

If you're willing to go slightly further - try Wonderboom from the north side (quite steep), Hans Strijdom, Tom Jenkins (behind Union buildings, very steep), and my latest favourite early on a sunday morning is Hornsnek (PTA west)- fairly steep and about 2.5km long.

Any additional info about Klapperkop will be appreciated...

This fort was constructed at a total cost of GBP £50,000. It was handed over to the Government on 18 January 1898. It was supplied with a paraffin engine powered generator for electricity, a telephone and telegraphic links. Running water was supplied from a pump station in the Fountains Valley which was shared with the nearby Fort Schanskop.

Unlike the other forts in the surrounding area, the design incorporated a moat as well as a drawbridge. The moat was never filled with water.

Fort Klapperkop was armed with a 155mm Creusot gun ("Long Tom"), a 37 mm Maxim-Nordenfeldt cannon, three Martini-Henry hand-maxims and a 65 mm Krupp Mountain Gun.

In January 1899 The fort was manned by 17 troops. In July 1899 the number of troops was increased to 30. By end October 1899, only 16 troops were still stationed at Fort Klapperkop. As with the other forts, men and armament were gradually withdrawn and sent elsewhere during the course of the war.

It is said: "Never a shot in anger was fired from this fort."

The area is declared a military museum. On May 31 1979 the South African Defence Force Memorial was unveiled at Fort Klapperkop. It includes a statue of a soldier holding a R1 rifle, in memory of all members of the South African Defence Force who lost their lives serving their country. The individuals who have lost their lives are honored with an inscription on a number of marble plaques mounted around the statue.

Fort Klapperkop is a Gauteng Provincial Heritage Site and a South African National monument

Thanks Scalpel,

I've heard a lot of guys saying they ride at Klapperkop, but how does one get there? Don't know the area so well... Any additional info about Klapperkop will be appreciated...

Go down Botha Ave to Fountains and keep right, go up Nelson Mandela Drive heading south and then left onto Klapperkop.

This fort was constructed at a total cost of GBP £50,000. It was handed over to the Government on 18 January 1898. It was supplied with a paraffin engine powered generator for electricity, a telephone and telegraphic links. Running water was supplied from a pump station in the Fountains Valley which was shared with the nearby Fort Schanskop.

Unlike the other forts in the surrounding area, the design incorporated a moat as well as a drawbridge. The moat was never filled with water.

Fort Klapperkop was armed with a 155mm Creusot gun ("Long Tom"), a 37 mm Maxim-Nordenfeldt cannon, three Martini-Henry hand-maxims and a 65 mm Krupp Mountain Gun.

In January 1899 The fort was manned by 17 troops. In July 1899 the number of troops was increased to 30. By end October 1899, only 16 troops were still stationed at Fort Klapperkop. As with the other forts, men and armament were gradually withdrawn and sent elsewhere during the course of the war.

It is said: "Never a shot in anger was fired from this fort."

The area is declared a military museum. On May 31 1979 the South African Defence Force Memorial was unveiled at Fort Klapperkop. It includes a statue of a soldier holding a R1 rifle, in memory of all members of the South African Defence Force who lost their lives serving their country. The individuals who have lost their lives are honored with an inscription on a number of marble plaques mounted around the statue.

Fort Klapperkop is a Gauteng Provincial Heritage Site and a South African National monument

Thanks for the great insight TNT1,

I do apologize, actually meant additional info regarding cycling at Klapperkop...

Go down Botha Ave to Fountains and keep right, go up Nelson Mandela Drive heading south and then left onto Klapperkop.

Doesn't that become the R21 or am I mistaken? How safe is it to cycle to Klaperkop?

Doesn't that become the R21 or am I mistaken? How safe is it to cycle to Klaperkop?

The road only becomes the R21 about 5km later.

The left turn to fork knock-your-head is not far after the Fountains Circle. It's legal and safe (wide shoulder)

Your other option would be to go down Botha, and at the entrance to Groenkloof, turn left and ride up to the Monument?

The road only becomes the R21 about 5km later.

The left turn to fork knock-your-head is not far after the Fountains Circle. It's legal and safe (wide shoulder)

Thanks for the info... Will definitely make an effort and go introduce myself to Klapperkop... Hopefully Klapperkop is friendlier than I have heard...

How long is the climb and what is the average and max gradient there?

Thanks for the info... Will definitely make an effort and go introduce myself to Klapperkop... Hopefully Klapperkop is friendlier than I have heard...

How long is the climb and what is the average and max gradient there?

Klapperkop is not that much of a match to Suikerbos rand.

Here are some stats I have put together about some climbs......

post-25-0-77370400-1317044924.jpg

Klapperkop is not that much of a match to Suikerbos rand.

Here are some stats I have put together about some climbs......

Thanks Spinnekop, appreciate the stats...

Now I really wish I still stayed in Nelspruit... :(

We ride Klapperkop fairly regularly....so let me know and you can tag along for the ride. :thumbup:

Cool thanks... Wil definately let you know...

The whole of Waterkloof Ridge (of which Klapperkop is on the point)has lots of pretty steep climbs as well. You can string them together and get some seriously good hill training in