World Champs, World Cups, etc

scuzzy

I was thinking today, and this is really not to stir, but with all the world champs going around this time of year, and the RWC as well, what is their worth really, I'll explain:

We had the UCI downhill champs, the weather was terrible and aling came this guy called Danny Hart and completely blows the other riders away, a deserved win for that run, but, his results for the rest of the year was not really clos to winning the series, so he comes along with one win and he is now the World Champ, where Aaron Gwin, won almost everything all year round

The XC MTB World Champs was probably a fair reflection with Jaroslav Kulhavy killing the field in the last half of the series.

Then we had the Road Bike Championships this weekend and if they are going to race for 200 odd kilometers and it comes down to a sprint, why not make it 2km, with a lead out and let the sprinters decide who wears the stripes for the rest of the year.

We had the Xterra over the weekend and although The Caveman have been winning everything this year, barring 2 events, he came in 4th, in the USA champs, what if Lance did win this thing, would that be deserved over the other guys?

Then we have the RWC, if we want to admit it or not NZ is the best, most consistent team around and yet, they cannot win this darn thing, much like we struggle to with the Cricket Wolrd Cup, but, it is a very big possibility that someone like Wales, Ireland, France, hell, even Samoa could be playing in the RWC final in a month.

So, what's your thoghts on this, is that just the way it is, do you think it is kinda unfait, or do we just sit back and enjoy it, cause afterall, it probably doesn't have anything to do with us?

I think that's the nature of sport. You gotta be the best on the day.

The World Cup (XC and DH) series rewards consistent results. But to be world champ its one race, all or nothing.

I think that's the nature of sport. You gotta be the best on the day.

The World Cup (XC and DH) series rewards consistent results. But to be world champ its one race, all or nothing.

Exactly. They are different animals, and any attempt to compare them is not going to be definitive.

Well i cant talk on the other stuff as i dont know much about them ... BUT - with regards to the UCI World Cup vs the WORLD CHAMPS. ....

The following needs to be taken into consideration:

1: The World Cup and World Champs are 2 VERY DIFFERENT races.

The World Cup Series is similar to the Formula 1 Series where the racing is between Trade Teams ... (Minnaar, and Peat - Santa Cruz ... vs Gwin - Trek ... vs HArt - Giant) ... When you race These races and any other UCI sancitoned event you score UCI points that ultimately give you your World Ranking. The winner of the UCI WORLD CUP ... is generally then the no.1 RANKED rider in the World.

2. The World CHAMPS ... are a once off, winner-takes-all race that is NOT trade team based. It is COUNTRY against COUNTRY ... similar to the MOTO-DES-NATIONS ... You get selected by your Countries Cycling Federation to represent them at the highest level of racing (UNLIKE THE WORLD CUP WHERE ALL YOU NEED ARE 20 UCI POINTS TO ENTER A WORLD CUP - you dont have to be selected - anyone can race) ... Therefore at WORLD CHAMPS Minnaar is now racing AGAINST Peat - his team mate in the World CUPS as GM is from SA and Peat is British. The World CHAMPS can therefore be won by ANYONE, deppendant if they have a good run, no mechanicals etc. If it rains then maybe a rider ranked 50th in the world could win because he had a dry run ... this DOES NOT however affect his OVERALL ranking - he is just the WORLD CHAMPION and gets to wear the Rainbows for a year. ITS more of a luck of the draw event (if it rains) ... but as prestigious at it is ... (and EVERYONE wants that jersey!) ... The OVERALL World CUP winner gets the better deal as he/she has been the most consistent throughout the year and gets to ride with the No.1 plate the next year.

Well said Nigel.

Scuzzy, on Mr Hart, it's not like he's been out of contention the whole year. Remember, he's pretty highly ranked in the World Cup as well. There were two World Cups this season where he got very close to winning.