Weight of MTB

amoryns

My bad, I see the 2008 "new" shape does have 100mm travel. Then I'm glad that as a XC racer, I am using the "older" shape which has enough travel for me.

According to the Cannondale website, the 2008 Scalpel Team is 22.5lbs, which comes to 10.205kg, and that's for a Medium, mine is a Large. This is ofcourse unless you've pimped it further, after you bought it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad' date=' I see the 2008 "new" shape does have 100mm travel. Then I'm glad that as a XC racer, I am using the "older" shape which has enough travel for me.

According to the Cannondale website, the 2008 Scalpel Team is 22.5lbs, which comes to 10.205kg, and that's for a Medium, mine is a Large. This is ofcourse unless you've pimped it further, after you bought it.
[/quote']

DT Swiss Carbon 190 SSD!

It is very easy to drop weight on the bike from standard! That probably equals pimping to an extent!

The 2008 Scalpel Team already comes with the DT Swiss Carbon 190 SSD shock as standard?

I know!! Was referring to the travel of the shock! It will probably fit on your bike, but as far as I know they retail for about R 8500-00!

ok another question... carbon mtb? wise?

would you rather opt for HT with rear flexstay or DS?

IMO "flexstay" is a bit of a marketing gimmick. If you want comfort then get a DS. If you want pain and/or you are a podium contender then get a HT.

Again IMO there is little point in getting a HT unless you make a living out of racing!

My Scalpel weighs in at 9' date='6kg. So it is possible!
[/quote']

Come come, what parts you running? Mine is pretty pimped as is so would like to know what you are using.

2008 Team Scalpel!

I have seen this bike.....touched it......WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in love..........Heart

http://video.cannondale.com/images/08/bikes/CUSA/large/8VP0_rep.jpg

You need to be carefull with published bike weights and real world bike weights.  The published numbers are generally not for ridable bikes, especially the choice of tyres & stans, bar ends etc.  I suspect that the quoted weight of the new scalple of 8.5kg is not real world achievable.

My titanium hardtail is 10.0kg as I ride it. It will lose about 300g with a few more trick bits (new SID's or Pace).  Any lighter and reliability will suffer.  If I recall my Ali Yeti was 11.2kg with nothing too exotic.

Amoryn sweetie' date=' just get an Epic like mine you know you want to Wink and it will go with your new cap Tongue

[/quote']

thats why I am asking about the Epic...need to match my bike with the cap...Big%20smile

I think we all obsess about weight too much. Was looking at the pro bikes on cyclingnews.com and ...

Adam Craig (US) - Giant Anthem FS - 11.03 kgs

Geoff Kabush (Canada) - Litespeed Sewanee FS - 11 kgs

Julien Absalom - Orbea HT - 9.5 - 9.7 kgs (tyre dependant)

None of these are super light, but get the job done!

On the other hand, Liam Kileen's customised Epic weighs 9.45 kgs!!!

out of interest, what does it weigh, ready to ride ?

out of interest' date=' what does it weigh, ready to ride ?
[/quote']

It clocks the scale at 9.6kg.  It is Scalpel's.

Ready to ride.

Without waterbottles though.

Still going to drop some weight on the custom wheelset that is on it's way.....

It clocks the scale at 9.6kg.  It is Scalpel's.

Ready to ride.

Without waterbottles though.

Still going to drop some weight on the custom wheelset that is on it's way.....

nice!, what wheelset ?

I have ZTR olympics and tune hubs that are super light and have been bullet proof for 1.5 seasons.  Highly recommended.