Garmin 800 vs Garmin 500

Dirtracker

If money is not the issue but getting the correct tool is, then which unit do you believe is worth the money and features if you were going to do Sani2C next year.

I use both. The 500 is great, but the 800 is awesome, however it is my opinion that it is not intended for vigorous off road use, just too frail. I kept my 500 for race-day, and use my 800 for road training. There is a rubber sleeve available for the 800, which will make the unit a bit more robust for mtbiking.

I have no problem with the 800. The decision, in my opinion, is whether you want mapping and routing (800), or what I see as the best cycling computer out there (500).

To me the mapping is important, so I went for the 800. This talk of the 800 being "fragile" for MTB confuses me as it's basically the same package as the 500. I have not yet come across any evidence to support this claim, so I cannot figure out on what basis (if any) it is made...

I have the 500, and the 800.

I use the 500 on my road bike, because it is small and gives me just enough info on the screen. I use the 800 for MTB because you can fit more info on the screen and it is easier to read while bouncing around off road. I also like that you can change screens by sliding your finger across it. You can also change items you want to see on each screen just by pressing and holding the item, without going into settings. I've had many BIG falls with my 800 and so far no problems.

Also, you can load maps on the 800 if you want.

If I had to choose just one, it would be the 800 without a doubt.

I have no problem with the 800. The decision, in my opinion, is whether you want mapping and routing (800), or what I see as the best cycling computer out there (500).

To me the mapping is important, so I went for the 800. This talk of the 800 being "fragile" for MTB confuses me as it's basically the same package as the 500. I have not yet come across any evidence to support this claim, so I cannot figure out on what basis (if any) it is made...

Had a bad night sleep? Cause this will explain your confusion so early in the morning. It is rather simple, the 500 is a smaller unit and appears more robust with a small screen, while the 800 is bigger with a large touch screen, so more that can go wrong, and easily scratched while doing setting with muddy fingers. Not that difficult to figure out. It is my opinion that my 500 is more suited for off-road racing, and it is about 50g lighter.

Well, I only have the 800 unit and it rocks! A few buddies have the 500 and 705 units and they are happy with them. I am a pure roadie though so I cannot comment on the MTB stuff.

I like mine because it can be used as a navigation tool as well - just buy a SD card with garmaps and you are sorted. I like the fact that you can check how moer cold it is with the thermometer, I like that you can set up different pages with the different info - so time, cadence, speed, HR, elevation gain is on page one. temperature and averages on page two. extra info including current time (as in 8:30 am) on the third.

I have the silicon cover on mine and I am sure, should it fall, it would protect it from scratches.

Depends on what you are looking to use it for and the information you want from it.... if you map a mtb/road ride, you can upload it onto the 800 unit and it'll direct you along your route using the maps page.

• 1 month later...

Here is another question - Any one used the Bryton 35 which I believe has unbelievable battery life, 30 hours plus!!

+1 for the bryton 35 Picked mine up for 2400 for the bundle. Only drawback you cannot use it with sporttracks..... yet

What price are they?

Always a good place to start is cwcycles.co.za, and no, I'm not endorsing. For standard products like these it's best to shop around for the cheapest price.

They have the Garmin Edge 500 Bundle* for R3 499.00. It doesn't look like they have the 800?

* The Bundle Version of the Edge 500 includes Cadence Sensor and Heart Rate Monitor.

Just ordered my Bryton 35. According to tread mags latest issue the Bryton 35 is all you will need unless you want mapping. The battery life is awesome.

Tread mag compares 4 diff gps so give it a read and then decide. @ R2700.00 bundled its a steel

Have a look at overseas online stores. Probikekit has the Edge 500 bundle for about R2600 inc VAT etc. They also have a once-off 15% discount code when you first register with them.

I chose the edge 800for one reason over the 500. ok maybe two.

1) the 800 allows you to program in specific intervals for training and auto starts new intervals. ie. power, 3min rest 3min power 5min rest 3min...cool down.

2) you can fit 10 items on info on one screen - and have 3 screens.I dont use 10 on all, but I could if I wanted to. mine are more like 10 (training) 5 (mtb specific) 6 (power interval specific)

Just ordered my Bryton 35. According to tread mags latest issue the Bryton 35 is all you will need unless you want mapping. The battery life is awesome.

Tread mag compares 4 diff gps so give it a read and then decide. @ R2700.00 bundled its a steel

Try running it for 30hrs and come give us feedback? :thumbup: