PAINKILLERS FOR IRONMAN

MAVERICK 13

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Proper training and nutrition would be far better than any painkillers on race day.

I know, but just incase the need for painkillers does arise. What would be the best to use?

I was also wondering. I have inflamation issues along with niggles etc. Nothing serious but it can become bliksems seer after 20km on the marathon. Is it like bad to have a voltaren injection the day before the race?

Is it bad to drink 2 x Coxflams on race morning? I dont wanna die, I just wanna enjoy the race.

Check out the thread on training on anti inflammatories befre you make up your mind. Peeing blood is not as cool as it sounds... MY2CW.

Racing with painkillers is a BIG NO NO, not wise!

Understood but I am an amateur and can afford to rest and recover afterwards for 4 weeks etc. I have a bit of ITB and rotator cuff etc so I would rather feel good on the day even if it means I do a bit more damage to my limbs on the day. I have plenty of time to recover

I honestly would check with your doctor. I know it's not recommended to use ibuprofen type pills in conjunction with running, which is probably where you would be using it.

Racing with painkillers is a BIG NO NO, not wise!

Heard so. But surely there is something out there that you can use that isn't harmful.

Understood but I am an amateur and can afford to rest and recover afterwards for 4 weeks etc. I have a bit of ITB and rotator cuff etc so I would rather feel good on the day even if it means I do a bit more damage to my limbs on the day. I have plenty of time to recover

The damage you will do to your system will be allot worse than 4 weeks of resting my friend. when you kidneys decide they not in the mood for what you expecting them to filter and you start pissing blood it too late to change your mind .That’s why we train not only for fitness but to condition yourself to understand pain , if it’s the good kind or the bad kind where you have to stop.

but it’s your body .

surely there is something out there that you can use that isn't harmful.

Yes, it's called proper training and preparation so that you can complete the event.

Even if you're an amateur, you can do serious damage to your body if you push it when you have injury. It took me almost a year to recover properly from a back injury cause I took a cortisone injection in my back and felt "good enough to do a race" the next week. Where as if I just waited another few weeks I would've been right as rain!

IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

In 2010 I took a couple of Nurofen about 20km into the run to help get me through. Worked wonders as I was able to continue running whereas had I not taken them I would have almost certainly had to walk the last 20km.

This year I had a couple of Panado in my pocket on the run for just in case. Didn't need them though.

I would highly recommened making yourself a little medical kit to keep in your pocket on the run cosisting of painkillers, vaseline, plasters and some sachets of salt (for cramp).

If you are going in with niggles, and expect them to hinder you, you should think rather of putting it off until next year. Seriously. Much better than kindney failure.