Why am I so sore?

Bianchisti

I’ve been riding for 3-4 hours 2 days a week for the last 5 months since Argus. I was just looking to increase that to 5 days a week when work got too hectic, then got sick and went on holiday. All of a sudden I haven’t been on the bike for 4 weeks. While doing the tourist thing though I was wearing Nike Air Rifts which got my feet hellova sore on day 1. Day 2 the muscles around my left knee got so sore it felt like it was going to buckle under me. It was like the knee couldn’t support my weight. The pain eventually worked its way into my back. I flooked like an old man having to move around very carefully as it felt like I was going to pop something and end up on my backside on the street. I eventually bought a pair a flip-flops from a market and the relief was immediate. So much for Nike’ then. I don’t know what the heck it is with those shoes I’m not putting my feet anywhere near them again.

Feeling better now but my calves and quads are still very very sore. And this just from walking and walking. I don’t feel this way when cycling, not even after Argus at which I cramped badly. It’s obviously different muscles getting worked from when I’m on the bike but still, how come I’m so sore. The missus walked and walked the same places I did and she doesn’t feel a thing and she NEVER exercises?

Why am I so sore?

I’ve been riding for 3-4 hours 2 days a week for the last 5 months since Argus. I was just looking to increase that to 5 days a week when work got too hectic, then got sick and went on holiday. All of a sudden I haven’t been on the bike for 4 weeks. While doing the tourist thing though I was wearing Nike Air Rifts which got my feet hellova sore on day 1. Day 2 the muscles around my left knee got so sore it felt like it was going to buckle under me. It was like the knee couldn’t support my weight. The pain eventually worked its way into my back. I flooked like an old man having to move around very carefully as it felt like I was going to pop something and end up on my backside on the street. I eventually bought a pair a flip-flops from a market and the relief was immediate. So much for Nike’ then. I don’t know what the heck it is with those shoes I’m not putting my feet anywhere near them again.

Feeling better now but my calves and quads are still very very sore. And this just from walking and walking. I don’t feel this way when cycling, not even after Argus at which I cramped badly. It’s obviously different muscles getting worked from when I’m on the bike but still, how come I’m so sore. The missus walked and walked the same places I did and she doesn’t feel a thing and she NEVER exercises?

Why am I so sore?

Woman are just tougher than men, accept it and move on.

I dont know what's the problem I am not a doctor, but at a guess I would say the shoes you wore were not suitable and did not support your foot sufficiently in an anatomically correct position, thereby placing extra stress on the knees and hips. Runners often experience this when trying new shoes (which is why most just never change brands or models). I would say the shoes are either too light or have too little cushioning.

Cycling is also not a good crossover training method for walking or running, it works the other way round, but cycling is unlikely to get your knee and hip muscles strong enough to walk or run long distance.

you mentioned that you were using nikes, they have a very limited series for heavier weights

Although it,s a big fasion brand they dont cather too much for heavier okes

if you are over 80kg,s that might be one of your problems

start to run slow short distances and if you get better you will see it improves your cycling massively

Funny I'm not a heavy oke. 78kgs to be exact but those shoes certainly is very light and they make me sore in places I didnt even know I had.

Thanks for teh advice. been lazy to run. Training on the bike is now behind sched for the 94.7 so dont know when I will get on the treadmill

I googled pics of those shoes. They look like mountain climbing shoes. I dont think, no wait I definately wouldnt buy a pair of shoes like that to walk around in, they look uncomfortable but probably fit great.

They do look the part alright, and fit well. I love it but the effect on the body is the worst I've ever experienced. The quick on and off is great as well. They very comfortable for short periods but extended hours....