29er UST Wheels for heavy rider

Anticlimb

Hi Folks , need help . I weigh about 108kg and would like to know which ust wheelset will be ok for me . I understand that with 29ers the spoke lenghth etc becomes an issue . Suggestions please . I have a budget of about R 5k

Custom build. Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs, Loaded rims and strong spokes. Get the build done by a good wheelbuilder.

Custom build something like: Hope Hubs, DT Competition Spokes (32 min), brass nipples and Stans Flow Rims

The best wheels for heavy guys are Mavic crossmax'es. Bullet proof, work's first time well. And wheighs 1750g a set. No retentioning after x kilometers...do it right first time,got lots of clients more than happy with purchase. After sale service from Mavic(dragons sports)is brilliant.

Be carefull with grey imports,support your LBS regarding purchase. :thumbup:

Hi Anticlimb

ZTR Rims are really nice.

I had Mavic CS29 wheels, and "upgraded" to a set ZTR Flow's with Hope hubs.

I said "upgraded" as the ZTR Flow's are slightly heavier, but reliability was my main concern (my Mavic rear rim cracked longitudinally between some of the spokes).

My ZTR Flow and Hope hub build came to 1850g.

Me being 105kg's (that is why I went for the Flow), the strength of the wheel and build was important, as I like to fit and forget... And this is exactly what I got with my new wheels.

One comment I have to make, lateral stiffness and wheel strength had my RIP9 feel like a NEW bike on the ZTR's!!! Really GOOD.

In terms of lateral stiffness (witch is what you want on a 29er wheel), the Stan's beats the Mavic HANDS DOWN!!!

I must add, the Stan's was built specific to my weight and riding style...

Tubeless on the Stan's Flow is also rock solid.

Be warned, the GEAX range of tyres fits REEEAALLLYYY tight on the Stan's rims.

See this article :

http://twentynineinches.com/2011/05/15/the-state-of-tubless-ness-tubeless-re-try-part-ii/

Recommendation for a build, visit Mike's Bikes, Greenside JHB, 011-888-8868.

In my experience, really solid advice and they meet your demands / needs in a reliable answer with a well suited product.

I had my wheelset built there, and 100% after about 6 months now...

RE the rimtape, use the recommended STAN's rimtape width for the rim. Buy yourself a roll and keen in your spares box.

Oh yes, the Flow's are recommended rider weight is around the 110kg mark.

Happy building and then Hooping... :)

I'm more like 120kg, so you're not heavy (since I'm not!).

I have American Classics, and have not had a problem, but my next build will be Hope Hubs and Crest Rims

agree with all of the above and have my 2c to add

My weight jumps around through the season due to other sports (mma and boxing) ranges from low 90ies to about 105 and I was worried about the same thing as you, and my large ass on carbon frames!

I use the American Classic tubless wheels and love them, never had any issues. not the lightest but as I am already carrying a small road cyclist more than most riders I wanted the strength.

looking to build a new set now and have also been recommended the ztr's by most people.

I was told to stay away from certain ztr's because of my non-petite figure but cant remember which.

I'm more like 120kg, so you're not heavy (since I'm not!).

I have American Classics, and have not had a problem, but my next build will be Hope Hubs and Crest Rims

\

Hey hey, welcome back.

HI must add, the Stan's was built specific to my weight and riding style...

This is a tad misleading. There is nothing you can do tot he build to cater for weight or riding style. The only option you have is to choose the appropriate components, but insofar as the build go, all wheels are build the same.

\

Hey hey, welcome back.

Thanks Johan - just getting organised, and (Not) looking forward to Winter! I guess those cold, dark nights will give me chance to biuld up those wheels, and keep the DAL series going!

on my list are:

A 26er Rear Wheel - Hope Pro 2 Hub and American Classic Rim

A pair of 29er wheels - Hope Pro 2 Hubs and ZTR Crest Rims

Cheers,

Dave.

p.s. Can I have the job, and will you pay travelling expenses!

This is a tad misleading. There is nothing you can do tot he build to cater for weight or riding style. The only option you have is to choose the appropriate components, but insofar as the build go, all wheels are build the same.

Hi Johan, thats very interesting, I have had a few shops tell me they will build me custom wheels for my weight and its they way they build them that makes the difference....obviously dollar signs appear when they hear a customer ask for wheels to be built for their weight!

might be a stupid question but how does a custom built wheel differ from a standard type wheel, like an American Classic? better spokes and hub etc?

Hi Johan, thats very interesting, I have had a few shops tell me they will build me custom wheels for my weight and its they way they build them that makes the difference....obviously dollar signs appear when they hear a customer ask for wheels to be built for their weight!

might be a stupid question but how does a custom built wheel differ from a standard type wheel, like an American Classic? better spokes and hub etc?

Nowadays, with hub brakes, there is only one way to build wheels - three cross (3X). Quality wheels are always built with double-butted spokes. Wheel tension is always high. Further, Stan's rims come in 32 hole or 32 hole.

Thus, how do they change the way they build for heavier guys? They simply bull***t their way around that one.

A custom wheel doesn't differ from a standard wheel built from the same components. Custom, derived from customised, implies that the owner had some choice in the components. However, if a factory and a hand builder chooses the same components and follow the same procedure, the wheels will be similar.

What wheelbuilding machines cannot do is bring spokes up to full tension. This is a job that only a hand can do. Hence Easton's Hand Built stickers. American Classic and co may as well also stick those on, they're laced and finished by hand. A spoke machine may come in at the intermediate process and tighten the spokes a little and do the stress relieving, but they're eessentially hand-built.

Watching a Taiwanese slave insert spokes at the speed of light is something to see.

Custom doesn't mean much. It has a nice ring to it but like a bespoke suit, only a few may notice.