lose handlebar

fastlegs

My handlebar keeps turning off centre whilst riding even though I have tightened all bolts on the stem, etc. anyone know the reason so I can fix it?

Eish! That can't be good out on the trail.

Could only be a loose stem connection onto the steerer that's causing that as far as I know.

Loosen up all the bolts on the stem's steerer clamp and the steerer top cap.

Then make sure everything is lined up properly and tighten the top cap nice and snug. Then tighten the bolts on the stem's steerer clamp nice and tight.

Don't overtighten it as you may strip the threads! Check the torque settings first and as mentioned, make sure the contact surfaces are free from any lube.

If you've lost it none of the above tips will help. If you've still got it check the contact surfaces of the stem. If it's an old stem they may be worn and you may need to lose it.

Of course fiber/friction paste will work, that's what it's for, to create friction so one doesn't need to over torque. I use it all the time. How will a stem wear out?

Of course fiber/friction paste will work, that's what it's for, to create friction so one doesn't need to over torque. I use it all the time. How will a stem wear out?

Don't ask such intelligent questions. How the hell should I know :lol: . If the stem bolts weren't tight enough causing slip, and now are worn :blink: .

Don't ask such intelligent questions. How the hell should I know :lol: . If the stem bolts weren't tight enough causing slip, and now are worn :blink: .

his handlebar is slipping in tthe stem. What does this have to do with the bolts?

Still not sure what exactly the problem is. Is the stem moving around the steerer or the bar rotating in the stem? Either way what stem type are you using? Is the bar clamped on with 1, 2 or 4 bolts? (Makes a BIG difference to the torque settings). A picture is worth a 1000 posts.

Are you sure the stem is the right size for your forks steerer tube?

As above, Stems with 2 or more bolts grip better..

Edited by Audible Anarchy