swazi frontier

zork

anybody riding it in 3 weeks time.our first time ,any advice on anything will be appreciated

Sorry, I'd be like the blind leading the blind- first time for me as well. But did you see the last newsletter? They repeated like a dozen times to take a sleeping bag. I did a couple of races this weekend with some Swazi guys who have done it, and they say its lots of climbing, and its likely to rain. Rivers to cross, and there will be lots of carrying the bike instead of the bike carrying you.

This will be my 4th year . Simply an awesome ride/race. Massive climbs, great technical riding and a great bunch of people.

Day 1 finishes on Too Brutal. be prpared to carry the bike a bit, but it's well worth it.

Day 2 has about 10 km of amazing downhill, then +-35 river crossings, all but 1 is rideable. Day ends on a monster climb as usual...but the beer at Piggs Peak is cold and the pool inviting.

Day 3 has some tough climbs and some great technical downhill sections.

Remember that the route is virtually unmarked, so check your navigation cards from time to time.

Weather can be very hot in the valleys and very muddy if it pours with rain.

You will not regret doing this race and are likely to want to come back every year for more Swazi action.

P.S. waterpoints are great....hope they have the doughnuts again this year!

I'm doing it again this year. Fantastic event, even if it rains. Some of the purest mountain biking you'll ever find.

Some general pointers:

1. Don't pay too much attention to Brett's race briefing - it's way tougher and far more climbing than he lets on.

2. Bring money for beer

3. Don't admit to being a CycleLab club member.

4. Shaved legs will get you plenty of abuse, as will lycra.

5. Get used to Swazi time (things happen anything from 5 minutes to a couple hours after the advertised time)

Last year's race report

See you there.

Cannot wait for the pain that is Too Brutal. The glory that is Mganda River Valley. The Thrills that is Wappo's steppes and and the insanity of Mickey's Madness.

It is 100% ride-able.

Brett says so.

• 5 weeks later...

The Pipe is still annoyed about the exclusion of Mickey's Madness, but once again the Swazi Frontier surpassed all expectations.

Race report is here

The Pipe is still annoyed about the exclusion of Mickey's Madness, but once again the Swazi Frontier surpassed all expectations.

Race report is here

Great article. Sums up the "race" nicely. Next year the mixed team will be putting in a challenge for the podium so be warned.

Great article. Sums up the "race" nicely. Next year the mixed team will be putting in a challenge for the podium so be warned.

I'm quite weary about some of those mixed teams - especially given our lack of navigational skills.

I'm quite weary about some of those mixed teams - especially given our lack of navigational skills.

We were slow and steady except the Swazi gold fields at Brown Crocodile. Next year the foot goes down.

As for Jules doing it on the rigid SS. Madness.

Next year we can have an informal race on Sunday for the Downhill title on Mickey's for the Pipe. I'll take the meander along the river anytime.

We were slow and steady except the Swazi gold fields at Brown Crocodile. Next year the foot goes down.

As for Jules doing it on the rigid SS. Madness.

Next year we can have an informal race on Sunday for the Downhill title on Mickey's for the Pipe. I'll take the meander along the river anytime.

On day 3 we were having a hard time keeping up with that SS. Thankfully he took a wrong turn before the climb up to the water point, otherwise he would have embarrassed us completely.

Great report - really sums up ride. Loved it - Jason & my first time. Jason's first time at the back of the race due to my speedy(!) riding :blush:

Spare a thought for the two Swazi guys who took the 'swazi gold' wrong turn, did an extra 1.5 hours and still managed to actually miss the swazi gold...............

• 2 months later...

Wow saw the Highlights on Super Cycling last night. Man it looked so brutal with all the climbs, but what an event

• 8 months later...