Difference in MTB groupsets

Abercrombie

Hello Guys, excuse my ignorence but what is the difference between XT, Xt Deore, SLX and so on? Am new to MTB'ng and know something of road groupsets but want to buy a new MTB bike. I gather XT is slightly better than SLX ? but what is the Deore XT and so on? Any thoughts will be most welcome

Edited by Abercrombie

Best

XTR

XT

LX

Deore

Alivio

Acera

Altus

cheapest

in that order for shimano

and

X.0

X.9

X.7

X.5

X.4

X.3

in the SRAM range

Best

XTR

XT

LX

Deore

Alivio

Acera

Altus

cheapest

in that order for shimano

and

X.0

X.9

X.7

X.5

X.4

X.3

in the SRAM range

LX is no longer around has been replaced with SLX in the shimano range, and with regards to deore XT it think its the same as plain XT ? someone correct me if i'm wrong here?

I'd still like to know what the difference is between XT and deore XT...

Nothing. It is called Deore, Deore LX, Deore XT.

As someone who never got why the most expensive MTB components wear out the fastest (which is different to any thing else you buy), can anyone say with authority whether the cheaper components are in any real terms worse to use than the most expensive? And I'm not talking about the 3 gram saving in an 11 tooth sprocket.

Personally I think I'm going to replace my granny and middle ring with whatever is good 'ol steel next time they need replacing.

Is this a hijack? If so, sorry :blush:

LX is no longer around has been replaced with SLX in the shimano range, and with regards to deore XT it think its the same as plain XT ? someone correct me if i'm wrong here?

LX is around. It's just not used in the MTB hierarchy.

Hierarchy of gears What is the difference in gears?

Has nothing to do with the question you posted. :unsure:

Nothing. It is called Deore, Deore LX, Deore XT.

Thanks for clearing that up, it always bugged me.

Sorry TNT, as you will see I apoligised for my ignorence in the matter. I think most folks got the type of question I asked. I just was unsure as to buy XT,SLX or whatever.

As someone who never got why the most expensive MTB components wear out the fastest (which is different to any thing else you buy), can anyone say with authority whether the cheaper components are in any real terms worse to use than the most expensive? And I'm not talking about the 3 gram saving in an 11 tooth sprocket.

Personally I think I'm going to replace my granny and middle ring with whatever is good 'ol steel next time they need replacing.

Is this a hijack? If so, sorry :blush:

+1, I use Deore cassette/chain and LX(SLX) middle ring ..... I've never worn out a granny ring but Dangerous Dan has :rolleyes:

I just was unsure as to buy XT,SLX or whatever.

Cool, well, the correct answer is to buy SRAM.