150k + road training on Sunday

GTRacing

suikerbosrand - 3 loops

3???

Easy to say, not easy to do.

Very few riders are capable of 3 non stop laps of S/Bos.

i just said 3 because GTRacing wanted to do 150km+...

I'm going for ONE lap on saturday, but I'll do the short little loop twice

3???

Easy to say, not easy to do.

Very few riders are capable of 3 non stop laps of S/Bos.

3 laps? Yegads man - I'd buy that persona cup of coffee!

My recommendation? 300 laps of Hector Norris Park :lol:

3 laps? Yegads man - I'd buy that persona cup of coffee!

I'd need more than coffee ~ I'd need life support.

I'd need more than coffee ~ I'd need life support.

I've done 2 and had to lie under the trees in the parking lot for quite a while before standing up was an option...

3 is just crazy talk :blink:

I've done 2 and had to lie under the trees in the parking lot for quite a while before standing up was an option...

Do you still have your trip stats for the 2 laps? I haven't managed two full non stop laps yet, but soon, very soon...

Nicest 150 (160) around is heading out from Pretoria, old Brits road, over Harties, over Hekpoort and back.

Scenic but at month-end the roads are going to be busy.

3 Laps Suga Bush sounds fun. :thumbup: :D

Pity you are upcountry - the cape has some really great routes... well road really - you can make up any route you like!

Broadacres out to harties,past pecanwood right, T junction left, past Magalies park. past van gaalens, left up hekpoort, straight on up to Sterkfontein, krugersdorp left down to highway back to fourways. About 150km with a bit of climbing.

Do you still have your trip stats for the 2 laps? I haven't managed two full non stop laps yet, but soon, very soon...

I don't have a Garmin log but rough info is 5 hours (2:30 per lap), 2,000m climbing, 117km, knackered Eldron.

I won't be doing it again - at the time I had aspirations of doing some competitive MTN Ultramarathons but realised after a few months of training that a full time job + 16 hour training weeks was making life pretty frikkin miserable.

Now I'm a 6-8 hour/week kinda guy and enjoying my riding much more!

Personally I think 2 or 3 lappers are really only for competitive cape epic and road stage race style athletes. There is no benefit for the average 100km roadie or 70km mtb rider to punish him/herself like that.

Broadacres out to harties,past pecanwood right, T junction left, past Magalies park. past van gaalens, left up hekpoort, straight on up to Sterkfontein, krugersdorp left down to highway back to fourways. About 150km with a bit of climbing.

+1

My favorite "long" route (although, you don't have to include Sterkies).

Otherwise, flatter - out via Ontdekkers and then around the game reserve and back via Randfontein. Doing this one on Sunday.

I don't have a Garmin log but rough info is 5 hours (2:30 per lap), 2,000m climbing, 117km, knackered Eldron.

I won't be doing it again - at the time I had aspirations of doing some competitive MTN Ultramarathons but realised after a few months of training that a full time job + 16 hour training weeks was making life pretty frikkin miserable.

Now I'm a 6-8 hour/week kinda guy and enjoying my riding much more!

Personally I think 2 or 3 lappers are really only for competitive cape epic and road stage race style athletes. There is no benefit for the average 100km roadie or 70km mtb rider to punish him/herself like that.

Most MTB marathons are a lot harder and longer than the road equivalent, so I'd say two laps of SBR is good training for races like the Crater cruise / Clarens MTB / Sabie classic etc.

Most MTB marathons are a lot harder and longer than the road equivalent, so I'd say two laps of SBR is good training for races like the Crater cruise / Clarens MTB / Sabie classic etc.

Yes and no - 2 laps of SBR will take you about an hour longer than any of the 3 races you mentioned plus the difficulty in mtb is more the battering the body takes rather than pure pedalling leg strength - SBR does not prepare you for that. Mtb has a lot of short accelerations rather than smooth climbing like SBR.

In climbless jhb it's about the best we've got in terms of trying to emulate proper climbs but I reckon a good 3 hour mtb ride serves you better than a 5 hour SBR.

We each have our little secrets I guess :)

One question on Crater Cruise though - why the hell is it so hard? In theory it's a relatively flat untechnical 4 hourish ride but holy cowpoo I have never finished that race without being proper broken. Perhaps it's the lack of downhills to rest on - constant pressure on the pedals like chinese water torture!