Die Burger 2011

Cheese

Hi ,

Will be coming down to the Cape to do Die Burger in December.

After finding the hill a bit steep on the Race for Victory with a 23 at the back want to know from the Capetownians.

Would I need a 25/26 for the first hill.

The race for victory had 3,5 km climb at average 10% what is the climbs in Die Burger.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know whether the Race for Victory is actually 10% on average, I suspect slightly less (it could be that I just did it so long ago that I can't accurately remember what it was like). I do think die Burger is slightly less steep and definitely less long.

Don't think 23 should be a problem.

I rode 23 OK..... last year's burger was my first on that route - averaged 25Km/H by the time I got to the top of helz :blink: I was porked then already! <_<

I rode 23 OK..... last year's burger was my first on that route - averaged 25Km/H by the time I got to the top of helz :blink: I was porked then already! <_<

If You can Average 25km/H then a 23 should be fine. Was doing 8km/h at stages on Sunday.

Although the wind was also against us.

If You can Average 25km/H then a 23 should be fine. Was doing 8km/h at stages on Sunday.

Although the wind was also against us.

Yeah, there are sections of helz that step up quite a bit and then there are flat-ish sections too, so you just gotta stand on those hilly sections or just ride the 23 there and when you hit a flat, drop into the 21 (or whatever you have).

I am riding 8spd at the moment so gear selection is limited. 23,21,19,17,15,14,13,12.

There aren't mamny hills with a 10% gradient in Cape Town... Definately none in Die Burger.

theres a nice piece of road @ the top of du toits kloof pass that goes up to the telkom tower. IIRC its about 14% avg gradient

And Kloof Nek. 2kms at 10%.

They wouldn't put a hill like that in a big popular race. The majority of the entrants would be walking.

And Kloof Nek. 2kms at 10%.

They wouldn't put a hill like that in a big popular race. The majority of the entrants would be walking.

Who can still remember the old Milo Tour that went past Victoria Hosp, back roads past Wynberg park, then past Kirstenbosch, onto the M3, up Hospital bend onto De Waal Drive, into Gardens , up ove Kloof Nek into Camps Bay, over Suikerbossie into Hout Bay, over Chappies and then Ou Kaapse Weg and finish at Constantia Village.

That was a killer of a ride. Pity it is no more like so many other great fun rides we had on the calender in the WC. Riding on the highway was nerve wreaking.

Edited by liebenw

theres a nice piece of road @ the top of du toits kloof pass that goes up to the telkom tower. IIRC its about 14% avg gradient

and as far as I know, the road is on private property....... :blink: :blink:

The 99'er goes up Vissershok now that has a pretty serious gradient to it for a bit.

Regarding gearing for "die Burger", 23 should be fine, as the climb is right in the beginning and its not too steep. The main problem is being able to spin your legs quick enough to keep up with the mountain goats have a go for it at the front... :unsure:

Biggest "secret" with the Burger is to warm up properly, as you get onto the Old Helshoogte climb soon after the start before the legs had time to warm up.

As regard to the gearing, I'm no mountain goat and run a 10sp with 11-23 gearing, and I have not found a hill I could not go up. I might be slow up some, but I do get to the top.

I dont really like thr Burger route, the only reason i ride it is for seeding for the Argus, that first climb kills me :blush: