jhb to dbn for amashova

I've done a ride down to Dbn over 4 days, different time of the year though so did not have to complete Ama too. Get use to your saddle, you'll probably be doing 140-170km p/day. The Freestate is not flat, beware the big hills around Estcourt and Mooiriver. If you arent lucky enough to have a physio tag along, take a foam roller along to work out the muscles in your legs. Day 3 will be the worse, there after your body is use to the punishment and you should feel super. Start each morning slow, you probably won't have a choice, till you are nice and warmed up. Also take a good recovery drink! Good luck and have fun

Did this trip a few years back and it was memorable and fun. The fun aspect obviously depends on the group of riders you'll be with, and the survival aspect depends on who has structured the trip and will be supporting you. I've since done quite a few similar trips over the years.

Quite often the bunch splits into 2 groups and the support vehicle is left with the slower group. The first trip I did we stopped every few hours for food, drinks etc. If I remember correctly we did 280Km the 1st day, 250Km the 2nd day, and about 80Km the 3rd day. I don't know what your level of fitness is, or your 'Shova aspirations, but try do the trip comfortably and don't ride out of your comfort zone. Put on your sense of humor cap and keep it on for the trip. Nobody likes to ride with a grouch for 3 days.

Start upping your carb intake at least a day before the trip and eat/drink well during the ride day, especially carbs with a bit of protein. Make sure to have a decent recovery protein mix after each day's ride, and use L-Glutamine and Ultimag supplements to prevent cramps and limit muscle damage. I would also take some Rehidrate Sport for riding in hot conditions when you lose more body electrolyte. Eat pasta like a monster at dinner, and have a decent breakfast with oats, fruit and yoghurt. Just eat healthy and sensibly where and when you can. Save your body for the race.

Take at least 2 pairs of decent shorts, if not 3. Try use different brands so that any chaffing doesn't happen in the same place each day. Use chamois cream !! I cannot emphasise this enough. You'll be sorry if you don't. Same can be said about sun-block. Use UV arm-sleeves.

If you anticipate being away from the support vehicle for extended periods take at least some spares, rain jacket and a rear light with, and exchange phone numbers with the support vehicle.

I'm sure there's a lot more that you can add to this, but just have fun.

nice one :)

how much abuse did your bike take? and your butt. hahaha will i need chamois cream and such?... im used to my saddle, a super comfy fizik arione.....

im thinking of using my beater wheels for the trip and taking my racing wheels for Amashova (these can then also be backups should i break a spoke, buckle a rim etc... how many tubes etc...?

What about nutrition? Should i just eat / drink as i do when i do on my usual 100km + rides? obviously just taking more bars/food/ cytomax etc.. along for the added time on the bike?

ride schedule is as follows:

day 1 .heidelberg to volksrust 200km

day 2 .volksrust to ladysmith 185km

day 3 .ladysmith to pmb 164km

day 4. pmb to dbn (amashova) 106km

everyone has been telling ,me about that day 3 and one certain "little" climb called gryffons... hahaha.

Thanks for the input, any advice is much appreciated!

how did you feel by the last day? will i still have legs to have a decent ride at amashova? ive heard most cyclists get stronger as the trip progresses?

i think im pretty fit as a far as training goes... 5-6 sessions - around 10-13 hrs a week- and can ride a 100km in under 3 hours.

Being used to your saddle will not prevent your butt from becoming VERY eina take the advice and put lots of cream on before you start,I agree recovery is going to be vital,eat and drink enough,remember you eat today for tomorrow and pace yourself especially if you still going to do the "Shova" :)

Comfy saddle or not, I would still use chamois cream. One tub should be fine. Take 3 spare tubes in case, but it's a good idea to take another wheelset with, especially if you want to save your tyres. Also take a pump, chain cleaner, lube and some bike cleaning things if the support vehicle won't have (check with them). I once rode almost a whole afternoon in the rain and had no choice but to clean my bike for the next day. My drive mech sounded like a pepper grinder. Other than that my bike had no other issues.

With your fitness as you indicate you should be well fine, just don't ride too hard, and don't feel bad if you cut any faster guys loose. Let them cook their legs for the race.

"Preferred brand" is subject to opinion. I just use MarkII, but if you search the forums here you will find a vast array of 'preferred brands' :-)

I use milking cream worked well for me during the Joberg2C not expensive and u can use it liberally :clap:

Definately, my knee gave in on day 3 going up Griffeths, itb, doc had to give me a shot at lunchtime. Tried to stick with the group through Nottingham rd but called it uits 15odd km from finish. Next morning knee was stiff but there after it felt like I could cycle up a wall! ;-)

We had a support vehicle with each group, so food and drink wasnt an issue. We used mostly energade, diluted with water, with stops every 2 hours or so for snacks. After the lunch break I'd use something like Epic pro followed by another bottle at the end (before the beers come out)

I use milking cream worked well for me during the Joberg2C not expensive and u can use it liberally :clap:

Works like a charm!

Try and avoid the cat eyes, riding in the yellow lane you tend to ride over them, by day 3 your butt will feel every imperfection in the road.

Our ride was Villiers to Bethlehem, Bethlehem to Bergville, Bergville to Howick and last day from there to Scottborough.

Fit make 2 great products. Gluta grow and Anti Lac. I use them all the time. Last year we did 3 days, then the shiva double. Sunday main race still in around 2:47.

Also traumeel is a good idea as it reduces swelling - I took them every night. I was in shape but right nutrition and supplementation does help.