New MTB - Under R5k

doppelganger

Hey guys. Just joined the forum.

I want to buy an entry level MTB to start riding. I know there is literally 1000's of bikes to choose from, so I had a look around and saw a few I liked.

Scott Aspect 40 (2012)

Trek 3700 (2012)

I actually saw the Scott in a shop and I really liked it. I have also noticed the Silverback range...

Also saw these online... Felt Q600 and Felt Q220 and Felt Q250

So any feedback will be appreciated. I am looking to build up my fitness and meet some people to ride with.

I have not ridden in over 10 years after a bad accident, so I am not too clued up on the brakes and group sets etc...

Thanx guys!

Edited by Pierrek

Maybe the Scott as its 24 speed? And it has disc brakes, even if they are mechanicals. Looks better as well!

But do some more shopping around prehaps?

Maybe the Scott as its 24 speed? And it has disc brakes, even if they are mechanicals. Looks better as well!

But do some more shopping around prehaps?

Thanx for the feedback. I do like the Scott very much.

Most shops I have been to don't have a big variety of bikes in my price range...

Rather have a look for a second hand bike? If you search around you'll get a lot more bang for your buck...

Also check the classifieds for 2nd hand bikes in your budget. You can usually get a much better spec buying 2nd hand. Take someone who knows bikes with you when you go and look at any....

A bike that costs R7k or R8k new can be found for under R5k used.

It all depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

always check the warning labels on the stem, shox, etc. as some say only intended for leisure use and not hard cross country or downhill, so the last thing you want is equipment failure when gunning it down a hill.

My first bike after 10 years was a silverback saturn, disk brakes and 24 speed. Served its purpose, but realised i needed more, and so the addiction starts.

Enjoy, it only gets good from here!

Edited by Smolster

Look at the merida range the tfs 100 starts at R4900 and come with hydraulic disk brakes a good bike for the money my wife rides one and she loves it

Look at the merida range the tfs 100 starts at R4900 and come with hydraulic disk brakes a good bike for the money my wife rides one and she loves it

Thanx guys...I appreciate all feedback

I have considered 2nd hand bikes but I don't seem to find many large frames...

I don't mind buying a used bike...

I don't think I will do any heavy riding. I would like to meet up with some guys and do some off road and on road too...no downhill

Go the second hand route( be patient check the junkmail every hour or so)

the merida tfs 100 is a good bike but for that price nope

Go the second hand route( be patient check the junkmail every hour or so)

the merida tfs 100 is a good bike but for that price nope

Even nomad has got ok bikes Nomad 70 - hydraulic disk brakes,light for R2500

Ok guys I have seen some more bikes that I like... :D

If you had to choose between the Scott Aspect 40 or the Merida Matts 100 or the Giant Revel 00

Which one would you choose!? :blink:

When I first started cycling, my first bike was a Trek 3700, and its still hanging in the garage. Its bullet proof, but heavy as lead. When the bug bites you will want to upgrade, so I agree with all the advice about 2nd hand. Don't get me wrong, I have had loads of fun on the bike, and still haul it out on the odd occasion to ride around with my kid, but I would have saved money if I had just bought what I ride now in the first place I suppose.

When I first started cycling, my first bike was a Trek 3700, and its still hanging in the garage. Its bullet proof, but heavy as lead. When the bug bites you will want to upgrade, so I agree with all the advice about 2nd hand. Don't get me wrong, I have had loads of fun on the bike, and still haul it out on the odd occasion to ride around with my kid, but I would have saved money if I had just bought what I ride now in the first place I suppose.

I agree...it makes more sense...but I really can't find any Large bikes in the second hand section...I have checked Junkmail, Gumtree etc...