Building a 2011 Scalpel Ultimate - What to buy?

Caltrigger

Hi guys,

I have posted in other threads asking about brakes and groupsets for a 2011 Scalpel Frame build I want to start... I want a good reliable result thats not too heavy. Looks like XTR or X9/XO and Hope 2x brakes if not XTR brakes...

What would you guys recommend for someone who is getting back into mtb after 5 years, I'm no pro but have had Scott RC 10's, top end Cannondales, GT lobo DH.. and want something light and reliable and not super expensive...

I was thinking of ZTR Crests on Hopes or American Classic wheels... You thoughts/comments appreciated...

Callum

One q - why are you going for XTR when something much cheaper will work just as well, and not be noticeably heavier?

You can pick up the NEW XT - which is pretty much the same as last year's XTR, but enhanced a bit more, for a helluva lot less than XTR.

In addition, CWC have the Avid Elixir CR's for R 3,300 front & back, incl 160mm rotors. I have the Elixir 5's, and they're more than powerful enough to stop me (as a big fella)

CRC also has the Elixir R's for R 1,800 odd for the pair... Very good brakes.

Also - the Formula Oro K18's can be picked up for R 1,376 for the set. Older brakes, but still VERY good. That'll give you the opportunity to spec some braided hoses, up-rated pads & rotors as well as a better wheelset with the money that you'll save. And then you'll have a mixture which would be far better than if you just went for the XTR's or Hope X2 Races.

Here's the link for the ORO's.

My link

Just don't be lured into buying the top-line of everything because they're the "newest" or "best" when they might not be.

On the matter of wheels though - if you've done DH you'll need something strong, and then good hubs as well. I'm not that clued up on wheels, but the savings above could be re-diverted to a better wheel spec for better strength & weight. Have a look at CRC's / CWC's build and buy options. If you build a wheel on CRC, you'll probably find you can get a VERY high spec of wheel for not a lot of money.

My 2 c...

Thanks for that... I agree... don't need the latest and greatest... thinking X9 even or like u say the new XT and spend money on wheels reather...

I'll look at the brakes from CWC...THANKS!!!

I think with all this pondering you best off buying a new built-up bike, and putting the frame up for sale here on the classifieds.

Thanks for that... I agree... don't need the latest and greatest... thinking X9 even or like u say the new XT and spend money on wheels reather...

I'll look at the brakes from CWC...THANKS!!!

Go X9 and spend the money on **** hot wheels!!

Kosmo...if you knew what I got the frame for you would never tell me to sell.. I have bought bikes built many times and sooner more often than later I change everything... This thread is to see what's changed in the last 5 years...

I'm leaning towards XO/X9 and XTR/XT... I like the ZTR Crest rims on Hope hubs, they seem reliable but still race quality...

One q - why are you going for XTR when something much cheaper will work just as well, and not be noticeably heavier?

You can pick up the NEW XT - which is pretty much the same as last year's XTR, but enhanced a bit more, for a helluva lot less than XTR.

In addition, CWC have the Avid Elixir CR's for R 3,300 front & back, incl 160mm rotors. I have the Elixir 5's, and they're more than powerful enough to stop me (as a big fella)

CRC also has the Elixir R's for R 1,800 odd for the pair... Very good brakes.

Also - the Formula Oro K18's can be picked up for R 1,376 for the set. Older brakes, but still VERY good. That'll give you the opportunity to spec some braided hoses, up-rated pads & rotors as well as a better wheelset with the money that you'll save. And then you'll have a mixture which would be far better than if you just went for the XTR's or Hope X2 Races.

Here's the link for the ORO's.

My link

Just don't be lured into buying the top-line of everything because they're the "newest" or "best" when they might not be.

On the matter of wheels though - if you've done DH you'll need something strong, and then good hubs as well. I'm not that clued up on wheels, but the savings above could be re-diverted to a better wheel spec for better strength & weight. Have a look at CRC's / CWC's build and buy options. If you build a wheel on CRC, you'll probably find you can get a VERY high spec of wheel for not a lot of money.

My 2 c...

Nuff Said :thumbup:

Ja, bro - I learnt enough whilst building my DH bike. Looked high & low for bargains, and found them too...

Found that the brakes / wheels / bar / stem etc can be bought for a WHOLE lot less than you think, if you're prepared to go for something that's a year or 2 older, or is 20g heavier than what you were initially looking at. And there's no reduction in performance...

Kosmo...if you knew what I got the frame for you would never tell me to sell.. I have bought bikes built many times and sooner more often than later I change everything... This thread is to see what's changed in the last 5 years...

I'm leaning towards XO/X9 and XTR/XT... I like the ZTR Crest rims on Hope hubs, they seem reliable but still race quality...

{ nudge nudge ) pass on the good deal to me, is what I am saying :)

If you are going the SRAM route, go X0 RD at the least, been some going here for under R1K. Its a much better fitting.

Hope hubs with Crest Rims is what I kitted my 'classic' Scalpel out with last year, they have done well. You will need a Lefty hub though, some options there, I got some Project 321's in. Choice of spokes: Revolutions will work but tricky to build a wheel with, esp. that offset Lefty hub. otherwise the thicker Revolutions will certain do the distance.

Edited by kosmonooit

Hey guys...awesome feedback and info...!!! THANK YOU!!!

Leaning towards:

Elixer Cr Brakes

X9 Shifters/Crank/Front Dr

XO Rear Dr

or

XO Brakes

XO Shifter/Crank/Front Dr/Rear Dr

...ZTR Alpines on Hopes or Eastons 90's built on a Lefty hub. I weigh 65Kgs so I can ride light on the wheels...

I agree, if one is patient you can get New(used) parts here for a lot less than new online!

Itching to get going on this but still waiting for the frame and for the Rand/Dollar to settle so I can order the Lefty Speed Carbon XLR

I can get a set of Avid Juicy Ultimate Carbons locally, they 2nd Hand... what are they like?? I have seen them on 2010 Scalpel Ultimates before... Is there a down side to 2nd hand brakes, other than wear on the pads??

I would go Juicy's over Elixir's, was chatting a mechanic the other day and he remarked something about the Elixir's being more tempramental and spares being a ball ache. Juicy's also offer more power...

That aside, XO groupset is probably the best thing you could put on that bike. Stronger than XX, almost as light and very reliable. 2x10 definitely, 3x10 is for the dogs.

Spend bucks on light wheels, it will make the bike fly. And if you 65kg's then you should be able to pull it off easily. Hope hubs are a great fit and forget buy (do they make a lefty hub???). Pity the bike didn't come with the Cannondale cranks - those things are mint and even more difficult to find in the aftermarket.

Hell, if you 65kg's go 1x10 with a cross country chain guide = less weight. The bike is going to be so light anyways, and then you can run short cage derailer = less weight, you see where I am going....less is more, well kind of.

SO POST THE PICTURES ALREADY :)

Edited by MoreTrails

I reckon you should buy an XT 3x9 groupset from me for R4,500, a set of XTR M975 wheels for R5k (and I'll even let you swap the XT brakes for Elixir CR's for no extra cost if you prefer them and you take the wheels as well!). All new stuff... :blush:

Thanks again guys...soon as I get the frame I will post pics but nothing to show for it yet!!

So far I'm 99 % sure I'll go X9/XO mix (maybe OX twist when it comes) and for wheels ZTR Alpines on a lefty hub and a Hope...I think? Race Kings for rubber...

The biggest choice is brakes...looked at Formula R1's...yummy!! And not much more than XO brakes (R4500). Just need to be careful not to get caught up in the "just one better" trap!!

I like the Easton SL series riser bars and seat posts...and probably stay with Shimano SPD pedals, not sure which are the best?

Bought my first item for the Scalpel!!!

XT M770 Pedals, new "used" for a bargain.... next is the lefty and wheels!!

Nice! Those new xt's look the biz with the surrounding cage... Or did you get the ones without the platform/cage?

I still reckon you're falling into the trap of "one better" when getting the brakes - the XO's are nothing but hyped up elixir CR's, that went on the atkins diet... Yes, they look mightily cool, but your CR's would be far better with a set of braided hoses, right?

Just giving you some options here, mate. Nothing worse that dropping 15k on parts when you see that the same result (and sometimes a better one) could be achieved by not going for the glitter, and speccing it up with aftermarket upgrades...