Advice for Tandem novices

DJR

We bought a tandem that fits us and plan to ride the Argus together next year. I'm a competent mtb and road rider and my son (almost 11) ride his mtb quite well and can do most 25-30km mtb races. Any advice about training and technique from old tandem hands/heads?

Have fun. don't worry about the result. my son and i started at 40 km rides with my cycling club on a saturday, we progressed to longer 50-60km rides and rode 1 80km ride before Argus. we rode our 1st argus 4 yrs ago (good weather) and i made sure that we soft pedalled the flat sections, free wheeled the downhills and we did a 4.19. we had 2 yrs of S easter where our time went backwards but not our finishing position. last year we rode a 3.40 with ease. at 15yrs old he now wants to ride on his own. he should ride a 3.10 easily.

for some reason, my backside gets super sore on the Tandem. both my wife and I are good cyclists (not great) and are used to 2-3-4 odd hour sin the saddle with no problems, after 2 hours on a atndem, i wanna die! I think it is because it is much harder to shift around on the saddle..... not sure?