Tyres

Faiyad

Hi

Need some advice on purchasing new tyres. i currently use vittoria pro tech 2 as a training tyre. i weigh about 88kgs. need to change them now due to wear. havent had much issues with them but havent been cycling too long to compare them to anything else.

what im looking for is a durable tyre that has low rolling resistance. have been considering getting conti gp 4000s but had read a lot of bad reviews about it. should i just stick to what i know?

thanks

I would say Vredestein Fiammante Fold-ups, not too heavy and roll great! Only had 1 puncture in the last 7 weeks of base totaling @ 4500km's so they are great!

I've done many many Km's on Conti GP4000S (Black Chili) and have only GOOD things to say, 1 puncture in 2 years (touches head), excellent grip, light.... a lttle bit pricey...

Edited by Eraser

Love my GP 4000 black chillis. I use vittorio zaffiro for training tyres.

The diffirence in feeling between the two is remarcable; can only imagine how tubbies feel.

If I get Black Spade carbon clinchers I think I will fit them with Conti Attack and Force.

Love my GP 4000 black chillis. I use vittorio zaffiro for training tyres.

The diffirence in feeling between the two is remarcable; can only imagine how tubbies feel.

If I get Black Spade carbon clinchers I think I will fit them with Conti Attack and Force.

I had Conti attack and force and found them to harsh a ride.Prefer the GP 4000.

vredestein fortezza tricomp - high puncture resistance, grippy in all conditions and nice n fast- you can pump them as hard as 12 bar if you like.

vredestein fortezza tricomp - high puncture resistance, grippy in all conditions and nice n fast- you can pump them as hard as 12 bar if you like.

Also a great tire :thumbup:

I use GP4000s and am very satisfied. Have used force/attack in the past, but rear tyre life is short as it wears very quickly. Did not feel any difference between them and 4000 performance wise.

thanks guys for all this feedback. i think im still stuck on what to get though. but i guess its about what works for you so i will be holding my breath till the last so that i can finally make up my mind on what im gonna get. i agree with firewolf that the vittorias im using now should be for training. guess i just need to make that bold step and decide on something. vredesteins???? gp 4000s???? thanks guys.

Gatorskins or Specialized Armadillo for training. My puncture rate is about 1 per 3000km, maybe less.

On the money!

I just did 3177km on my set of Gators before getting the first puncture (rear wheel), caused by the short end of a staple... that would have gone through any other tire as well.

Continental Gatorskins ... you wont be sorry!

Edited by Tankman

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of specialized pro foldables about 8 weeks ago. Cost me R400 each, I have done maybe 300km on them . What a load of rubbish !! I have had 4 punctures since and then yesterday what should have been my sunday long ride (turned into a 5km short ride) the rear tyre bursts (2 inches) open along the tread pattern. Clearly a manufacturing defect. My wife of course was most impressed having to get out of bed to come collect me. Now I got to go and buy a set Gatorskins or GP4000's thats gonna cost me an extra R700 to a R1000 :cursing: lets hope the conti's are better :thumbup:

I bought a pair of specialized pro foldables about 8 weeks ago. Cost me R400 each, I have done maybe 300km on them . What a load of rubbish !! I have had 4 punctures since and then yesterday what should have been my sunday long ride (turned into a 5km short ride) the rear tyre bursts (2 inches) open along the tread pattern. Clearly a manufacturing defect. My wife of course was most impressed having to get out of bed to come collect me. Now I got to go and buy a set Gatorskins or GP4000's thats gonna cost me an extra R700 to a R1000 :cursing: lets hope the conti's are better :thumbup:

Contis are much better. My friend tried the spez tyres, but was not satisfied with them.