2nd hand, new or 29er? please help

fandango

Hi there, would appreciate any advice. Been reading some of the posts and they have all been helpful. Im a newbie and getting into the game, so looking for either new or 2nd hand hardtail for tar and off-road mix, price between R4000 and R6000. Have seen the following and need advice to get closer to a good decision.

GT Avalanche 2.0 2011 model:

New, marked down from R6200 to R5000.

Mongoose Tyax Super 2011:

New, marked down from 6400 to 5000

Giant Talon 1, 29er 2012

New R6400, been reading about the big wheelies and being tall I can see tha possible advantages even on tar.

2nd hand Merida's for around 6 - 7000:

A bit scared to go for 2nd hand though but understand I can get more bang for buck this way

Which to go for, what to consider, what would u like to add?

Thank you so much!

You will get a much better bang for your buck 2nd hand your right. the best bike on the market new for that price would be the silverback ventura ( if you can still find a 2011 model) saw one the other day at Westene cycles for les than 7000.

The Giant talon listed above is also a nice bike ( rode it in parking lot once lol)

Thanks Jan and Wynand,

Here's another. Saw a Schwinn Moab Elite yesterday on a clearance sale for R5700. You guys know anything about this bike. Components look pretty good at that price.

I know this is little above your price point, but the value for money on this Kona is really very good and you will get the lifetime warranty on the frame as you will be buying directly from the distributors. LINK

I have been on a Kona Kahuna myself now for a week or two and am loving the bikes handling traits.

Big negative about many of the entry level 29'er are that they have shocking forks and in most cases the forks are 28mm stanchions vs the better forks using 32mm stanchions .... longer and flimsy fork with bigger wheels = poor steering/feedback in rough terrain

If you do get on of the entry level bikes with the 28mm stanchions then try and get them to upgrade you to a decent fork before you leave the store.

Hairy

I know this is little above your price point, but the value for money on this Kona is really very good and you will get the lifetime warranty on the frame as you will be buying directly from the distributors. LINK TO BIKE SALE

I have been on a Kona Kahuna myself now for a week or two and am loving the bikes handling traits.

Big negative about many of the entry level 29'er are that they have shocking forks and in most cases the forks are 28mm stanchions vs the better forks using 32mm stanchions .... longer and flimsy fork with bigger wheels = poor steering/feedback in rough terrain

If you do get on of the entry level bikes with the 28mm stanchions then try and get them to upgrade you to a decent fork before you leave the store.

Hairy

Haha yes was there, the moab is ok but a bit heavy. You can also try Cajees in Centurion or Westdene cycles in jhb, they are nice and large shops who gives good deals

( you dont even have to drive there just phone them ) I saw my bike at Cycle lab the morning and bought it for 2800 less at westdene the afternoon , also got some freebies.

Hairy, thanks for the advice. The Kahuna looks great. What's the difference between this and the Big Kahuna? Only problem is I'm up in Gauteng.

Hairy, thanks for the advice. The Kahuna looks great. What's the difference between this and the Big Kahuna? Only problem is I'm up in Gauteng.

The Big Kahuna has a better parts spec (Notably the wheelset)

JHB is not an issue as it will cost about R200 -R250 for the distributors to get the bike down to you when using their couriers.

H

Haha yes was there, the moab is ok but a bit heavy. You can also try Cajees in Centurion or Westdene cycles in jhb, they are nice and large shops who gives good deals

( you dont even have to drive there just phone them ) I saw my bike at Cycle lab the morning and bought it for 2800 less at westdene the afternoon , also got some freebies.

Thanks Jan, what bike did you get? Eish man, more options, more confusion... Here's another question, I know you might get good deals at Cajee's or Westdene but heard you should not go there for set-up and service. Is it then worth buying a good deal at these stores and then going to a decent bike shop for set-up and service?

If you are tall and weigh more than 90kg 29er will be better .smaller lighter riders don,t get the real advantage of bigger wheels.They weigh more.I am 6.4 100kg and will never go back to that twitchy ,unsafe feeling ,no grip on ascents 26 inch whatever.But my 178cm 60kg daughter will do just fine on a 26inch tyre bike.There are some sweet used bikes around .My old bike is up for sale .Merida 20' hardtail 26inch deore Lx with v brakes.Dt swiss wheels R5000.0.Merida sells a very nice 29er hardtail.Momsen will do the same.Bikes don.t wear out that fast ,so i will keep looking for a good spect used bike .i hope it helps