info about rotors(brakes) needed

tunariaan

Can you okes please tell me how rotors work , i see there is like 150mm and 180mm ect

Can you use both on the same brakes?

How does it work, then i see that you also get a 6 bolt and other ones

my front rotor doesnt grip or brake smoutly and wears out more on the one side than on the other side so it probably time to replace it, my brakes are crappy anyway but for now they must just last a bit longer

then the rotor surfaces can be dif obviously the more holes in there the less it weigh, but hows the braking power when the pad pushes on it compared to one with a bigger surface area and less holes in there, does it really make such a big difference

like comparing these ones

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/11966-sold-blue-alligator-rotors/

to these ones

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/10093-2-x-shimano-sm-rt62-160mm-centerlock-rotors/

also when do you change out rotors and how long would it normally last?

sorry for all the questions but i need to learn these things and sort my brakes out

well its good to see you tried searching first before someone chews your head off

with regards to center lock, those are normally the shimano hubs, and 6 bolt is like it say there are 6 bolts that connect the rotor to the hub.

and with regards to the size, the normal is 160mm, but larger rotors can be used all you'll have to do is change the mounting bracket that connects the brake caliper to the frame or fork, most bike shops should be able to help with this, to make sure you get the right adapter for your caliper, bike combination.

bigger rotors obviously have more stopping power due to torque etc.

and the rest im sure someone else will post on here lol

Can you okes please tell me how rotors work , i see there is like 150mm and 180mm ect

Can you use both on the same brakes?

How does it work, then i see that you also get a 6 bolt and other ones

my front rotor doesnt grip or brake smoutly and wears out more on the one side than on the other side so it probably time to replace it, my brakes are crappy anyway but for now they must just last a bit longer

then the rotor surfaces can be dif obviously the more holes in there the less it weigh, but hows the braking power when the pad pushes on it compared to one with a bigger surface area and less holes in there, does it really make such a big difference

like comparing these ones

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/11966-sold-blue-alligator-rotors/

to these ones

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/10093-2-x-shimano-sm-rt62-160mm-centerlock-rotors/

also when do you change out rotors and how long would it normally last?

sorry for all the questions but i need to learn these things and sort my brakes out

Here's the low-down Riaan:

- Centrelock is a Shimano standard, and although very common, doesn't leave you with as much choice as 6-bolt. If your choice involves only this aspect as a variable, go with 6-bolt.

- Larger rotors do result in more stopping power. Usually, this is only really a factor on the front; upgrading to a 180mm is definitely worth it if you're heavy or ride seriously fast. For the rear, 160mm is generally fine. Downhillers run 203mm front and rear.

- Rotor wear doesn't really have much effect on braking power, in my experience you can pretty much wear them down to a level where it starts to warp/flex before you need to replace them.

- Braking surface area (as in your example) has a dramatic effect on power. I've ridden with both types in your links, the windcutters have a definite disadvantage as far as power goes, of course sacrificed for weight savings. The XT ones illustrated are excellent, the new XTs are even better.

- Resin pads offer more power and are quieter than sintered metal ones, but wear out quicker, especially in wet conditions. If you're heavy and/or ride in mud often, this is a definite consideration.

- I'm not actually sure why (or even whether) two-piece (mounting spider and braking surface are riveted/bolted together and of different types of metal) rotors are any better, but I do know two things: 1) The most powerful brakes I've ever ridden with were Magura Gustavs which were two-piece, and had a solid disc surface and 2) The newer XT/XTR rotors are two-piece and are generally rated very highly.

Thanks for all the help and info, think i will upgrade to XT rotors, maybe big in the front and normal at the back

I weigh 90kg so you okes think the resin pad will be the better option?

Hi Tunariaan.

you mite not have to go to 180 rotors.

those New XT two piece rotors are really really good.

i have Elixer 5 brakes on my merida, they ok, not great.

when i changed to mavic cl wheels i had to buy new rotors

so i bought the XT ones. bloody hell. its like going from rim brakes to disk brakes.

Thanks will check it out when i am back in SA

Where did you get your and do you maybe have a link for it

Thanks

Must agree that the new Ice Tech Shimano rotors pack pack more stopping power with the same size rotor...could feel the difference when I swopped my current XT rotors for them.

Thanks for all the help and info, think i will upgrade to XT rotors, maybe big in the front and normal at the back

I weigh 90kg so you okes think the resin pad will be the better option?

I see you are in George - can be nice and wet, rather use scintered metal - if you are worried about your weight go to 180mm up front.

most of the races here have wet area in and it can be very wet at times, also alotof hills in the mountains so i need the good stopping power

Thanks for all the help

Nice info, the XT's sounds good.

I need to climb in on this conversation and ask the following question that has been bugging me for awhile.

In my experience I would rather want to upgrade my rear brakes to larger rotors. I hardly use the front brake when there is serious braking taking place....especially downhills(I just sometimes feather the front). I normally force myself to use the front during flat rides or on tar. I weigh 88kg's.

I do not understand the tendency (no punt intended) to have larger front rotors.

Cappies, i never used the front brake either till i really forces myself to leqrn it on a normal bike

Now that i am comfy to use it on my mtb it makes life easier, when you going down a massive hill and you still in a straigh line , 2 brakes gives you alot of breaking power

I have never fallen of because of this and i use my front alot