William Simpson/Apple Blossom MTB 2011

Tankman

VENUE: Oak Valley Estate, Elgin, Grabouw

RACE INFO

We have decided to delay the start time to 9:30 am so as to accommodate the South Africa vs Australia rugby!

So here's the deal ! ... Come and register from 7am onwards, grab a coffee, muffin, egg/bacon roll, watch the rugby then enjoy the ride !

DIRECTIONS TO VENUE

From Cape Town, take the N2 over Sir Lowry’s Pass. Go pass the Orchard Farm stall and then turn left into Grabouw opposite Peregrine Farm stall (R321) off the N2. Then take the Villersdorp turn off (R321) and approximately 1km on turn right towards the Elgin Station and Oak Valley Estate. Drive straight until you get the Oak Valley Gate then follow race signs.

Please PRE-ENTER, on the day entries are R50 more expensive and we are limiting the ride to 800 riders.

DISTANCES:

46km

26km

12km

8km Run/Walk

STARTING TIMES

46km @ 09h30

26km @ 09h40

12km @ 09h50

PRIZE GIVING/CUT- OFF 12h30

PRE-ENTRIES CLOSE 6 October 2010

ROUTE DESCRIPTION

Long route has a bit of everything with lots of single track and some tough climbs.

Medium route is flowing with great single track in it.

Short route is not technical at all.

CSA Day License: 46km & 26km

If a Rider is not a member of an association like PPA or doesn’t hold a Cycling South Africa Day Licence then they need to take out a R35 day license.

Pedal Power Easy Entries Not Accepted!

Edited by Tankman

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last years long route profile: (if I remember correctly the ride was shortened by a couple of km's due to flooding or something)

post-4352-0-62728100-1317638614.jpg

Wonder if they have considered inverting this route? Looks like a lot more downhill that way ... especially after a few beers after the rugby :lol:

post-4352-0-67409200-1317638794.jpg

Can anyone tell me: how tough is the 46km compared to the 38km last week at Lourensford?

The 38km at Lourensford will probably be tougher than this 46km (Ive only done the long routes on Lourensford so cant really compare)(climbing wise Lourensford is tougher than most)

BUT all the single track on Oakvally will have you smiling all they way and any pain will be soon forgotten and well worth the climb. There is a couple of small climbs but there is only one big climb that you hit at around 29km.

Singletrack singletrack singletrack :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can one enter on the morning of the race?

Sorry, stupid question. Should have paid more attention.

Edited by DJR

Yes you can enter on the day. Are you planning on watching the rugby with a couple of cold ones and then deciding? ;)

"Please PRE-ENTER, on the day entries are R50 more expensive and we are limiting the ride to 800 riders. "

I have a entry to sell cheaply if anyone is keen. Plans changed and I am not able to ride. The entry is for the 48km.

Was going to do this but forgot about the rugby... :blush:

Read the Race Info again... race starts AFTER the rugby.

Link? Prices? Online entries?

Sorry,Dryland Adventures

What's the 26km like?

Or should I tough it out and do the 46km?

You can do it Lizzy, do the 46km! There are some bonus single track sections on the long route that you wont be sorry about :D

Can anyone tell me: how tough is the 46km compared to the 38km last week at Lourensford?

I did the 38km on Sat and this race in the pouring rain before. The only difference is that the amount of single track makes this tougher on the legs and slower. The big climb is also a bit steeper than the gradient on the 38km, but it's a lot shorter - maybe about a third of the altitude gain.

But this is the best race of the year! To quote... "single track single track single track" :)

I did the 38km on Sat and this race in the pouring rain before. The only difference is that the amount of single track makes this tougher on the legs and slower. The big climb is also a bit steeper than the gradient on the 38km, but it's a lot shorter - maybe about a third of the altitude gain.

But this is the best race of the year! To quote... "single track single track single track" :)

Lots of queues/stuck behind slow riders then? I don`t wanna be a party pooper I`m just asking if this a major issue or not.

Edited by Berg Bok