Do we have to use cycle lanes?

weeclarky

I'm new to SA and am surprised that it's the law that we have to use cycle lanes. Many of them are terrible and nearly all unsafe at speed. In the UK for example they're optional, and recommended against if you're travelling above 18mph.

My question is: what happens in the case of an accident? I was in a collision with a car last week - in all respects the drivers fault, except that there was a cycle lane I could have been using. I was doing about 40kph.

Who's liable for damages?

Just come to gauteng. Not a cycle lane in sight. Problem solved.

Pta has bike lanes and Alberton (Brackenhurst/Brackendowns)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to SA and am surprised that it's the law that we have to use cycle lanes. Many of them are terrible and nearly all unsafe at speed. In the UK for example they're optional, and recommended against if you're travelling above 18mph.

My question is: what happens in the case of an accident? I was in a collision with a car last week - in all respects the drivers fault, except that there was a cycle lane I could have been using. I was doing about 40kph.

If the cycle lane is full of glass or punctuated by underpasses sealed with metal grating as most of them are here in Cape Town I'm definitely taking my chances on the road.

And if a car hit you the presence of a cycling lane surely has no bearing on the matter, legal or otherwise. If it does it's news to me.

Which lanes are you referring to .. the one leading from Table View to town are really very good and one can't justify riding on the roads along these paths.

If memory service me right. In SA where there is a cycling lane, you are actually required to used it. I am not sure about this and hope I am wrong. I normally don't use it myself as was mentioned by my fellow hubbers that they are not well maintained.

Which lanes are you referring to .. the one leading from Table View to town are really very good and one can't justify riding on the roads along these paths.

Sure, some of the new ones are excellent, but some of the older ones are awful - there's some in Newlands, for example, which are just painted lines on the pavement. It's good that they're there, but it's dangerous that we have to use them by law.

The onus of responsibility to prevent potential accidents with pedestrians or cyclists rests with the driver of a motorized vehicle, irrespective of the presence of pedestrian crossings or cycling lanes.

This is achieved by exercising good judgement and foresight whilst in the act controlling said vehicle.

IMO

Sure, some of the new ones are excellent, but some of the older ones are awful - there's some in Newlands, for example, which are just painted lines on the pavement. It's good that they're there, but it's dangerous that we have to use them by law.

I don't have any experience of the other cycle paths so can't comment on these. The city is doing plenty of work to improve pedestrian and cycle circulation in the CBD and they would also then need to focus on re-fitting the older existing paths.

Following an interesting chat with another cyclist the other day there was talk RE the city building a cycle lane to the CBD along a very old proposed (and reserved for this purpose) lane adjacent to the train lines running to Simons Town.

The onus of responsibility to prevent potential accidents with pedestrians or cyclists rests with the driver of a motorized vehicle, irrespective of the presence of pedestrian crossings or cycling lanes.

This is achieved by exercising good judgement and foresight whilst in the act controlling said vehicle.

IMO

Responsible? Good judgement? Foresight? Control? You haven't seen a south african motorist lately, have you?

Edited by TNT1

Just come to gauteng. Not a cycle lane in sight. Problem solved.

The Cradle has some but the big northern suburb cycling clubs ignore them.

The Cradle has some but the big northern suburb cycling clubs ignore them.

I think Ken is the only one who does use them. But he drives his 4x4 in them.