GARMIN - Terrible support

Baster Brak

So in the beginig of the year I switched from Polar to Garmin, then I bought a quark power meter that worked with my Garmin and for 5 months there was no problems, now with Garmin you have to download your training data via their website (Now I already have a problem with this) as they do not provide you with software that will allow you to download directly onto your pc. During July they kept on prompting me on there website to upgrade the software on my unit as there was a newer version and my was still on the old version. After several weeks of prompting I evetually upgraded, what a F#CK up, since upgarding as suggested by GARMIN my quarck no longer works and now I am losing training data as not all my files want to download either. I have now sent GARMIN 5 email in a 4 week period to which they have no responded, there web based support is geared at trying to sell you stuff and it is clear that they could not really care once you have bought their product. so my advice, DON'T BUY GARMIN, THE PRODUCT IS OK

BUT GARMIN AFTER SALES SERVICE AND SUPPORT SUCKS

What Garmin unit are you using?

Garmin's Training Center package works off-line, and can read .fit files in its latest incarnation. Agreed not that great a piece of software but usable.

I just cannot agree with you on this point.

I took my Garmin in for a check as it was occasionally playing up. Replaced with a new updated model 5 years after purchase. Their suggestion to replace not mine. That is service that SA does not see or expect.

Any unit defects are covered for life.

Which Garmin are you trying to contact?

If you are trying to contact support through the SA Garmin forum, stop wasting your time. They are a bunch of old toppies that doesn't know jack and they just forward queries to other departments.

The guys on http://.forums.garmin.com are much more clued up and helpful.

Then there is also Avnic but here I will agree, electronic communication is not one of their strong points, taking the unit to them in person normally gets a better response.

Garmin Training Centre is crap and Garmin Disconnect not any better, if you want to analyse your power meter data properly you need proper software, try SportTracks

You dont HAVE to use "Garmin Connect" there are various other aftermarket software packages that you can use, SportTracks being one. I have only had good service from them wrt queries.

I have had various Garmin products (car & bike) and have needed some support in the past and have been very happy with it. I made use of Avnic with no issues.

As posted, there is software (Garmin and 3rd party) to analyse your data.

gotta gree their after service is bad, took me 6 weeks to swop out for a garmin that broke, the okes in jhb just took their time, then they sended my wife a new unit that lasted 1 day!

Eventually she had to pay in an upgrade

Ongelukking is die garmin die beste vir hardloop en ook meer akutaat as bv die polar waar jy n footpod moet gebruik, as polar uitkom met n goeie gps unit , gaan ek dadelik oor

I just cannot agree with you on this point.

I took my Garmin in for a check as it was occasionally playing up. Replaced with a new updated model 5 years after purchase. Their suggestion to replace not mine. That is service that SA does not see or expect.

Any unit defects are covered for life.

Not quite, their 305 had a defect where a number of units switched off during rides, the problem was with the battery connector coming loose. Despite numerous incidents of this being reported and discussed even on the Garmin chat site, Garmin denied knowing of the problem and stated all it needed was a s/w update which of course it did not. Many users then resorted to opening the unit themselves and fixing it as Garmin refused to. The 1st time i took it in it was still within warranty period, the 2nd time it was just out and i ended up paying in to swop it for a 705

I read in a magazine somewhere that Avnic no longer exists and that Garmin USA themselves has bought them out?.

There was even a name change, I think it was around August / September. Its probably still the same people but perhaps there are policy changes.

I have always said Avnic was great and because of their great customer relations I have become a bit of a Garmin collector, but since the change I haven't used them, so yeah....dunno, phone them and see, sometimes e-mails are not the best method and I am sure they get thousands daily to wade through, most of them c**p.....go old school and pick up the phone, or if possible pop in to their offices.

Try their walk in centre in Honeydew, top notch and will replace while you wait if they have stock, if not they deliver.

Garmin Training centre runs offline.

Not quite, their 305 had a defect where a number of units switched off during rides, the problem was with the battery connector coming loose. Despite numerous incidents of this being reported and discussed even on the Garmin chat site, Garmin denied knowing of the problem and stated all it needed was a s/w update which of course it did not. Many users then resorted to opening the unit themselves and fixing it as Garmin refused to. The 1st time i took it in it was still within warranty period, the 2nd time it was just out and i ended up paying in to swop it for a 705

Yup, this problem with the 305 is well documented, even on the hub. A quick search for 'Garmin Edge 305 Sucks' will show.

@Grumpy, took a unit to them last week and they were still Avnic, in Cape Town at least, things take a bit longer here to happen as you know.

Yup, this problem with the 305 is well documented, even on the hub. A quick search for 'Garmin Edge 305 Sucks' will show.

@Grumpy, took a unit to them last week and they were still Avnic, in Cape Town at least, things take a bit longer here to happen as you know.

:lol: - Sometimes, not a bad thing hey.?

The story was in "Out there" or "Getaway" magazine, I buy both so I cant remember, but if I get a gap today I'll go look.

Avnic Trading (the former name) has been changed to Garmin Distribution Africa, or GDA for short.

The people are the same, the company is the same and their offices are still in the same place.

You do not mention where you are located.

There are 3 GDA branches countrywide.

Garmin Distribution Africa (Cape Town Branch)

+27 21 788 9015 / +27 861 427 646

Capricorn Business Park, Capricorn Drive,

Muizenberg, WESTERN CAPE

Garmin Distribution Africa (Durban or KZN Branch)

+27 31 539 6020 / +27 861 427 646

Kingfisher Office Park, 28 Siphosethu Road,

Mount Edgecombe, KWAZULU-NATAL

Garmin Distribution Africa (Johannesburg Branch)

+27 11 251 9999 / +27 861 427 646

Kimbult Office Park

Zeiss Road (closest intersection Zeiss & Seilskip Roads)

Laser Park

Honeydew

My suggestion would be to visit one of their branches directly, or call their technical help desks at the numbers provided.

I recently dealt with GDA KZN and had a really good experience. I had inytermittent signal and eventually no signal from my HR strap. I was ready to buy a new one but contacted them first regarding a repair. They suggested bringing the unit in. I took it in and it was tested by a technician while I waited. Turns out the battery was faulty in my unit which they replaced and gave me a spare strap as well. A few years ago they replaced my speed sensor as well due to water damage.

Excellent service from the KZN branch! I don't have a power meter and use the Garmin training centre software. My only issue is the map quality. All the other available data and software is sufficient for what I need.

I would buy another Garmin product. (I also own a Polar HRM which I use for spinning)

thanks for that info about the 305; i have ones that charges bit doesnt stay on, maybe i will just open it and check it out