Stage Race / Money Maker

zaslinger

Someone went tilt about Triathlons & triathletes and the elitism, etc., etc. (https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/108552-amusing-triathlete-hating-blog/)

Here's a thought, is MTB stage racing going the same way?

Can't get an entry into the Sani2C, Epic, etc.

At R 1000.00 per person per night.

What kind of accommodation / experience could you buy?

Add to that the cost of your training buildup.

Travel to and from the event (Often air-fairs)

Accommodation before and after the event.

All the toys and gadgets.

Never mind the small cost of a "nice' duel sus bike.

Maybe this is getting seriously expensive?

Just a thought.

Edited by zaslinger

I'm prone to agree.

That is quite steep, but I would say that does cover alot of things.

But yes, is very expensive.

In the latest Tread they mention that MTBing is the new golf. They say it's because it bonds people but I say it's because it is only affordable to yuppies.

Nobody will argue that its expensive...but you can't buy the experience anywhere else, thus the demand

Show me one person that thinks they being ripped off by Sani2C for example and I will show you how quickly we can get them their money back right here on the hub ;)

In the latest Tread they mention that MTBing is the new golf. They say it's because it bonds people but I say it's because it is only affordable to yuppies.

+1

I thought a thread title that included "money maker" would have a picture of Pam Anderson in a low cut top.

I thought a thread title that included "money maker" would have a picture of Pam Anderson in a low cut top.

Don't you okes know me by now?

http://www.howmuchdotheyweigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Pamela-Anderson.jpg

Of course I prefer:

http://gossip-juice.com/gallery2/d/141-1/pamela-anderson.jpg

Looking at a MTB race parking lot is like looking at Sodwana beach in the hey days of diving. You add up what all the yuppie wagons and bikes cost and you'd probably come to a figure hard to believe. Same as for yuppie wagons and boats/trailers down at Sodwana. Land Cruiser + ski boat = more than I paid for my house.

That's why people happy to sponsor Sani2C etc - hitting the demographic with cash to splash.

Don't you okes know me by now?

http://www.howmuchdotheyweigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Pamela-Anderson.jpg

Of course I prefer:

http://gossip-juice.com/gallery2/d/141-1/pamela-anderson.jpg

You guys have got it wrong, they were talking about a "STAGE" race, not a "STAG" race

I think the Epic takes the cake for expensive stage races, the rest are value for money. Although I have only done LotCR, and just paid for Sabie Experience.

Try find a hotel room anywhere in SA for under a R1k a night (besides Protea)

Well no, they used corporate events as an analogy. Which is actually very true from that sense.

Definitely agree though, a huge yuppie element has made itself part of the sport. Especially where stage events are concerned, stage events are by their very nature expensive to organise though and unfortunately end up being affordable mostly for yuppies and affluent types, unless you're lucky enough to score an entry.

Should see equestrian sports, holy crap that's expensive! Saw top of the range boots at close to 8k :blink: .... Went with the girlfriend to a sale at Western Shoppe, bloody hell man it was like a feeding frenzy.

Went and hugged my bike afterwards :blush:

Anything to do with sport and we the people are suckers.Normal pump to pump car tyres R59 a bicycle pump R680.00.Car Tyre R500 bicycle tyre R680..But we pay it .Your bike R25 000 sell it second hand R12 500 whow get the diffs.If nobody pays to do the Epic the price will drop but we will pay R50 000 to be a Yuppie.Stop Think and don't buy .WE THE POPOL :angry: (Sorry people)Have the power in our wallets.

Should see equestrian sports, holy crap that's expensive! Saw top of the range boots at close to 8k :blink: .... Went with the girlfriend to a sale at Western Shoppe, bloody hell man it was like a feeding frenzy.

Went and hugged my bike afterwards :blush:

You still going on about that?!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice meeting the GF, btw. ;)

At the current rate of increases (Rate of Inflation is ignored) the Epic will cost R40000 in 2013. Who is left to pay that kind of money? I would say that even the Sandton/Constantia Land Cruiser 200 brigade will think twice.Overseas entrants still have to cough up for an airfare on top. This year was bad enough , next year is a big ask too. I paid R1950 for B&B rooms during this year's Epic and those rooms were all 1000 times better than a tent. I missed the "vibe". Perhaps, but let's face it. The Epic is not a race where we sit and have beers till the wee hours. You want to shower, eat and sleep.

I think the Epic is great to ride, but it is overrated and I believe the organisers are pricing it out of the market. Next year is an Olympic year, so a lot of the Pro's won't be coming to avoid injury and focus on their short course training. If you want to get a good Epic result, 2012 is your year.

Best value Stage rage is still the Pioneer Trek, if I had to choose a race which comes close to the Epic. If Henco and the guys don't get greedy and have done their maths, they can attract a following which will make this a "must ride" event and make entries tough to secure. It has the potential to replace the Epic. The route is far better (and as tough) as the Epic.

I am baling out of the Epic next year and handing back my entry. R36k is too much. I am going to enter the Transalp instead. I will keep training and see whether I can pick up an Epic entry a few days before the event for a song.

Then you get the Sabie Experience.

4 Days @ R 3 650.00 per team

No Accommodation

No Meals

Lots of mud.

One day races make no money, hence the proliferation of Multi-Day events. The trick is to get the balance right, Money vs Offering. Some get the balance right and have to add a third event and entries are like hen's teeth. Others reach a tipping point, where riders are simply not prepared to pay more and the event runs the risk of closing down. I have a feeling the Epic is close to that point. I believe the owner is overseas a lot to set up a type of Epic franchise. Makes sense to keep the business going. Epic will launch a new logo this month, probably part of the global strategy.