29er vs. 26 MTB sizing

Jaco-fiets

Friend of mine is looking into getting a 29er. When it comes to mtb he is a scott fan but went for a ride on a scott scale 29er rc and he does not like it. He feels the "wheelbase" is too long.

My question is which brand has the shortest wheelbase? Rumour is that its full dynamics but its not confirmed

Opinions much appreciated

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Niner's site from Small to X-large.

(E) WHEELBASE (80/100)

42.6/42.9"

1082/1088mm

42.8/43.1

1088/1094

43.6/43.9

1107/1114

44.4/44.6

1127/1134

Edited by Dubber88

Not sure wheelbase alone is the right way to check ouot 29er - I'm guessing most will be within 20mm anyway.

My personal preference is tapered headtube and 15mm thru axle on the front - makes the front end feel very sharp and the bike feel very "short".

Giant XTC 29er is my current frame of choice - just ordered a new Niner Air 9.

Thanks for the info guys. Im also leaning towards the niner. The orbea alma, giant xtc carbon and full dynamics is also on his shortlist. Well at this stage it rather seems like a long list

not the only thing you should look at but if its one thats important to you then look at the Cube's the 29 HT carbon has the same wheel base as my 26" merida by 4mm! .

I agree with Eldron, I am doubtful that you could attribute the "feel" to the fact that the wheelbase is longer or not. I would think more likely factors are a longer cockpit contributed to by a longer top tube than what your friend is used to or the fact that he rode a bike with a long stem, or both? I don't think I've ever considered wheelbase length as a deciding factor when sizing myself for a bike. Seat tube length, top tube length, standover height certainly, head tube angle and seatstay length probably, but never wheelbase length.

Now that you raised this however, is this something that should be considered when sizing 29ers (doubtful), but seeing as I don't have one yet, it would be good to know before I start shopping.

For the record in the May '11 issue of WMB the Scott Scale 29 Pro got rave reviews and a 4.5 star rating. It even beat the Spez Stumpy 29er in that test. I'm no Scott fan, but it might be worth checking it out again...

I tried a Scotty and a GT 29'er before jumping on a Kona and the Kona felt to be closer to what a 26'er feels like RE steering response ... it does not shy away from tight turns.

I also agree with Eldron's comments

Hi,

i rode both the HT and DS at the scott demo day this last weekend

both bikes were medium. the DS did feel a bit small and with the lockout locking every thing it did not work for me.

BUT the HT was fantastic as it is the first 29r that felt and handled just like a 26" bike. It was the carbon expert with full XT and for once i found myself flying up the hills and was just as good going down.

For me the med would be good for XC but would need a Large for the longer distances.

Remember the bigger wheels makes the bike feel different at first , but after a few rides you will not notice. Also 29r are not for everyone, for me it works

Why does everyone want them to "feel like a 26" thats so not the idea!!!!

Eldron.... i cant get any meaningfull answers out of my LBS about the new Niner Air 9.

What delivery are you expecting? and pricing?

I figure my LBS is trying to get rid of his current Niner models first!!!

Not sure wheelbase alone is the right way to check ouot 29er - I'm guessing most will be within 20mm anyway.

I have a whole host of geometry tables for the most of the well known brands and the wheelbases on a 29er (medium) vary from 439mm to 445mm.

Why does everyone want them to "feel like a 26" thats so not the idea!!!!

Eldron.... i cant get any meaningfull answers out of my LBS about the new Niner Air 9.

What delivery are you expecting? and pricing?

I figure my LBS is trying to get rid of his current Niner models first!!!

Because 26ers are sharper handlers than 29ers! Shangri-la would be a 29er that feels like a (good!) 26er. All the benefits without any of the drawbacks (like more weight and less sharp handling!)

Apparently November is the arrival date for the Niner stuff (notably the RDO's and new Airs). Don't buy and old Air 9! I loved mine until I rode a few bikes with tapered head tubes and thru axles - immediately bought a new frame. The "old" Air 9 was a great bike when it came out but was overtaken in terms of technology after a few years - Niner have now remedied this and the "new" Air is hydroformed with tapered head tube and 15mm thru axle (as well as loads of other frame tweaks).

I haven't ridden one yet but if the new Air 9 is anything like the old one (when it was released) then I look forward to many happy years of Airing!

I have a whole host of geometry tables for the most of the well known brands and the wheelbases on a 29er (medium) vary from 439mm to 445mm.

Thats what I thought but I allowed a few mm for "hub over reaction". Meaning that if I'd said 10mm and there was 1 bike in 10,000,000 that was 11mm longer you can bet I would have received hate postings and death threats via PM :lol:

Thats what I thought but I allowed a few mm for "hub over reaction". Meaning that if I'd said 10mm and there was 1 bike in 10,000,000 that was 11mm longer you can bet I would have received hate postings and death threats via PM :lol:

:D

Because 26ers are sharper handlers than 29ers! Shangri-la would be a 29er that feels like a (good!) 26er. All the benefits without any of the drawbacks (like more weight and less sharp handling!)

Apparently November is the arrival date for the Niner stuff (notably the RDO's and new Airs). Don't buy and old Air 9! I loved mine until I rode a few bikes with tapered head tubes and thru axles - immediately bought a new frame. The "old" Air 9 was a great bike when it came out but was overtaken in terms of technology after a few years - Niner have now remedied this and the "new" Air is hydroformed with tapered head tube and 15mm thru axle (as well as loads of other frame tweaks).

I haven't ridden one yet but if the new Air 9 is anything like the old one (when it was released) then I look forward to many happy years of Airing!

Excuse me for being ignorant, but can someone tell me why tapered head tubes and through axles make any difference to the handling of a bike?

I recently had my 2009 giant anthem x1 frame replaced under warranty and i got a 2011 frame with a tapered head tube. I cant honestly say i notice any real differnece. But then again, i struggle to tell the difference between tea and coffee :)

Excuse me for being ignorant, but can someone tell me why tapered head tubes and through axles make any difference to the handling of a bike?

I recently had my 2009 giant anthem x1 frame replaced under warranty and i got a 2011 frame with a tapered head tube. I cant honestly say i notice any real differnece. But then again, i struggle to tell the difference between tea and coffee :)

Stiffer handling front and the fork will also be more laterally stiffer with better steering response = more fun

Coffee is the good stuff and tea is for girls