Ultimate Recover

If I was to have 2 massive races and three weeks in between, how can I give my body the best chance to recover in full?

The first race is a 2 day 100km trial run.

The second is the Ironman Cape Town.

They are three weeks apart.

After the first race I plan to take in some Glutamine, eat well and do some easy cycling in the gym and a lot of stretching. I am also thinking to include a few massages.

What else can I take/do to aid in recovery?

In 2010 I did Ironman SA (in PE), and 7 days later a 80km trail run (1 way, 1 day). My events were 7 days apart, and you are concerned about events 3 weeks apart? Just do what you usually do, that's plenty time to recover.

If I was to have 2 massive races and three weeks in between, how can I give my body the best chance to recover in full?

The first race is a 2 day 100km trial run.

The second is the Ironman Cape Town.

They are three weeks apart.

After the first race I plan to take in some Glutamine, eat well and do some easy cycling in the gym and a lot of stretching. I am also thinking to include a few massages.

What else can I take/do to aid in recovery?

Just don't run the trail run if possible to hard? biggest damage would come from running to close to your race pace effort.

But if you want to take it serious I would say spend lots of time in the pool and doing light gear riding...I find that swimming actually helps my legs recover.

Supplements will only really make a difference during the race and maybe the first 2 days after...the rest is getting rid of the fatigue.

2 day Trail run of that distance must be hard!!But if you are lucky you might even be stronger at Challenge series because of that effort..

Enjoy!!I would love to do a trail run like that!!

The plan is to take the trial run as easy as possible. (whatever that means) I got an offer for entry on short notice and just cannot pass up on that.

In any case, I would rather do nice stuff during the lead up to an IM instead of putting everything on that one race and then break a chain or crash or get flu the week before......

In 2010 I did Ironman SA (in PE), and 7 days later a 80km trail run (1 way, 1 day). My events were 7 days apart, and you are concerned about events 3 weeks apart? Just do what you usually do, that's plenty time to recover.

Agree. Although I am not a pro or anything I was very surprised on my recovery period after the 50km marathon a few weeks back. Some guys say you take at least 6 weeks to recover from any major race (which lasts 5 hours +).

Exactly one week after that marathon I did the Troi Sport Olympic Tri and it actually went quite well considering..........

I think a lot is in the mind as well

Agree. Although I am not a pro or anything I was very surprised on my recovery period after the 50km marathon a few weeks back. Some guys say you take at least 6 weeks to recover from any major race (which lasts 5 hours +).

Exactly one week after that marathon I did the Troi Sport Olympic Tri and it actually went quite well considering..........

I think a lot is in the mind as well

It also depends what your goals are.

If it is PB stuff and you are going for the best possible result in both events, then you have to take good care of your recovery phase - active and passive.

Great challenge there, man!

Just want to finish both within the allowed times.... Get full value for money.

Honestly, I dont pay R10,000 for an IM weekend just to race 8 hours? WTF? At least 15 hours to ensure maximum value...I always feel so sorry for the pros

Recovery is way more than just adding some chemical substances hoping they will assist! You have to ensure 1) you keep your muscles moving through ACTIVE REST - that increases blood flow and therefore nutrients & oxygen delivery to the cells that need to mend; 2)capitalize on the physical strain your body experienced in the previous activity and use that to grow your level of conditioning (this is a mind & body thing); and 3) nutritional planning (not diet planning) by ensuring your body has all the resources available for 1 and 2 mentioned above. Now the last one is the tricky one - only use supplements that are genuinely clinically proven (that means experimented on humans and the experiment is recorded in a reputable medical journal) and scientifically formulated (that means only extracts are used and ingredients are decontaminated before used)!

Thanks

If you were in the same position, what "coctail" of supplements would you recommend.

The only stuff I use at present is Glutamine powder and vitamins. I have to say the Glutamine seems to work. Maybe I should add a few recovery shakes?

I will also take a few ice baths and do the Epson salt bath thing as well as a massage or two.

Maybe some compression gear for bloodflow....