What is in a bike service?

Garfield2010

Hi guys

Disclaimer "I will critisize and piss on a few things I do not like. If you feel that I artt going to faar then please go crawl under your bed and then kontact the webmaster (aka admin) and vlieg in jou moer. No animals were harmed during this ontleding van watdeffok diens is.......

So back to the point.

Bike is taken in due to gear failure. I ask for a basic service. I make sure they know about 2 little issues namely the GEARS and my speedo meter which cuts out whenever I go above 40km/hour.

Got the bike back, speedo doesnt work at all???

WTF?

Anyways I am yet to test the gears and I am sure they will work (as they are cleaned and new cables installed), but how the hell can you miss a few simple things?

My bike went in with a few pieces of "insulaton tape" still stuck to the frame> and half an Argus sticker as well. They did not clean that. When I got it back my wheels had strings stick out all over the place (not saying it was not there before (I didnt notice maybe) but sheese cut it off???) All I ask is groom my bike and that should include make it like I want to ride my bike?!! Dis soos my vrou as sy vir haar haar ding gaan wat meer kos as 3 maande se entry fooie. Jy lose al die pad maar ten minste kan jy iets ry vir 'n slag?

Anyways gee julle kommentaar

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soos meeste gan voorstel, koop tools aan soos nodig, koop die parktool boek, doen dit self.

Ek het al moerse duur betaal vir privaat mechanics en was steeds nie happy nie...

Soos meeste gan voorstel, koop tools aan soos nodig, koop die parktool boek, doen dit self.

Ek het al moerse duur betaal vir privaat mechanics en was steeds nie happy nie...

En jy het darem eenkeer self jou frame oorgebou met relatiewe sukses.

Get a private mechanic. I got one recently. Charge the same as my LBS for a service but take it in for something small like a when i messed up my sons gears. He fixed it at no charge.

He also checks the bike for anything else that is not right when he tests the bike and sorts that out to.

He replaced my crank with a compact. While he was at it he sorted out my brakes as well. No charge again.

Edited by Slow_one

Diens jou fiets self... Dis rerig nie moeilik nie. Ek kan my hele fiets uitmekaar uit haal met my multitool, i klein spanner en allen keys. Speel rond met die settings van jou RD en FD, en dis omtrent dit. Kos jou nie i cent nie, net i saterdag middag :)

Yup, I'm in the same boat... I can't remember a time when I was satisfied with my LBS' servicing of my bike. The last time I took it in to replace brake pads and told them to do a service while the bike was there, even though everything, accept for the brake pads, was still perfect. Since getting it back I've been struggling with everything from gears to brakes... and this after I've told myself that I'm not going back. If you're dumb, you have to suffer, I guess...

Quite a lot of resources on youtube as well. I just have to stop being lazy... that's about it.

Try and service yourself, like the ouens said, buy a couple of tools, park blue book and search the net. Its all out there. If you take your bike to a mech though, first make sure he has a good reputation then don't ask for a "major" or "minor" service, there is too much room for making assumptions there. Make a list of things you want done, and specify and pay for those. I have never been dissapointed this way cause my expectations are clear.

Hi guys

Disclaimer "I will critisize and piss on a few things I do not like. If you feel that I artt going to faar then please go crawl under your bed and then kontact the webmaster (aka admin) and vlieg in jou moer. No animals were harmed during this ontleding van watdeffok diens is.......

So back to the point.

Bike is taken in due to gear failure. I ask for a basic service. I make sure they know about 2 little issues namely the GEARS and my speedo meter which cuts out whenever I go above 40km/hour.

Got the bike back, speedo doesnt work at all???

WTF?

Anyways I am yet to test the gears and I am sure they will work (as they are cleaned and new cables installed), but how the hell can you miss a few simple things?

My bike went in with a few pieces of "insulaton tape" still stuck to the frame> and half an Argus sticker as well. They did not clean that. When I got it back my wheels had strings stick out all over the place (not saying it was not there before (I didnt notice maybe) but sheese cut it off???) All I ask is groom my bike and that should include make it like I want to ride my bike?!! Dis soos my vrou as sy vir haar haar ding gaan wat meer kos as 3 maande se entry fooie. Jy lose al die pad maar ten minste kan jy iets ry vir 'n slag?

Anyways gee julle kommentaar

Box !!

Hoe kan jy verwag iemand ander moet jou gemors skoon maak! Dit is amper tyd vir die volgende Argus en jy ry nogsteeds met n halwe Arugs sticker rond van die vorig jaar, skaam jou! Jy behandel jou bike beslis nie soos n vrou nie!

Ek laat nie n ander man aan my bike (of vrou) vat nie, trek jou vinger uit jou ass en speel self met jou vrou (of bike)

Maybe the mechanic didn't understand your mix of languages....seriously, pick one. :P

On a more serious note: learn to work on your own bike. It's more than just saving money and getting something done right - it's also about getting to know your machine. You'll be more comfortable riding it knowing that you know how to fix it if something breaks, and if something doesn't work properly, you only have yourself to blame. There will be frustrating moments, but you'll feel an even bigger sense of achievement when you're rolling down the trail and your bike is smooth, quiet and set up just the way you like it to be.

Hoe kan jy verwag iemand ander moet jou gemors skoon maak! Dit is amper tyd vir die volgende Argus en jy ry nogsteeds met n halwe Arugs sticker rond van die vorig jaar, skaam jou! Jy behandel jou bike beslis nie soos n vrou nie!

Ek laat nie n ander man aan my bike (of vrou) vat nie, trek jou vinger uit jou ass en speel self met jou vrou (of bike)

:thumbup:

When I got my first racing bike at 13 my father told me to keep my bike clean and in good repair.I have always done so

Lazy box

http://www.evenews24.com/riverini/other_guys/pointless.jpg

And, so is this:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/off-topic-discussion/76206d1237429990-pointless-thread-we-discuss-anything-11oct29-panties-work-any-season.jpg

Edited by TNT1

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f24/39206d1161116180-pointless-thread-reach-500-000-post-charlize-20theron-20evening-20dress.jpg

I'm a mechanic. I service/repair bikes. I thoroughly clean everything I work on - components/cables/bearings etc. Bike wash (if necessary) is charged for as an extra. I will not repair electronics, apart from checking the installation. Big difference is that I make this clear upfront when you bring the bike in.