Serious creeking in Fox fork??

Bat-ass

My Fox 29er fork has a creek in it thats driving me made. ITs not the crank or pedals or headset or scewers.... Its the fork. It doesnt creek when moving in its "up down" suspension motion... its when it flexes under braking and out the saddle efforts...

I have taken it off and flexed it on the ground just to confirm where the creek was coming from.. The creek sounds like a creeking crank sort of noise???!!!

HELP

If it is a creak, it could be serious. If it is a creek, give it a paddle.

A creaking fork could simply be a headset issue but it should immediately be removed and the steerer checked.

Remove the fork, clamp the steerer in a big vice and pull and tug on the fork to determine where the creak comes from. Look for cracks or movement where the steerer goes into the crown.

Al other speculation is moot until you've done this.

My Fox 29er fork has a creek in it thats driving me made. ITs not the crank or pedals or headset or scewers.... Its the fork. It doesnt creek when moving in its "up down" suspension motion... its when it flexes under braking and out the saddle efforts...

I have taken it off and flexed it on the ground just to confirm where the creek was coming from.. The creek sounds like a creeking crank sort of noise???!!!

HELP

You are up the creak without a fork

I had two older model Fox forks that would creak where the stanchions were pressed into the crown. Apparently it as quite common in their older models. I also had a revelation that developed a creak at the steerer tube/crown fitting.

My money is also on the sterer tube & Crown fitting.

Sometime it can be as simple as the 4x bolts on the handle bar that needs a proper torque....

IT is the fork... I havent put it in a vice, but i'v taken it off the bike, put the steerer on a cloth on the floor and flexed it... The "creak" is either coming from the steerer/crown juction or stanction/crown or down inside?? its one year old, came on new Giant XTC 29er last year...

IT is the fork... I havent put it in a vice, but i'v taken it off the bike, put the steerer on a cloth on the floor and flexed it... The "creak" is either coming from the steerer/crown juction or stanction/crown or down inside?? its one year old, came on new Giant XTC 29er last year...

If you take the fork off the bike and grip the lowers between your feet and then grip the crown in the center by the steerer and twist it clockwise/anticlockwise you should be able to hear if it is coming from the stanchions/crown join.

• 5 years later...

Any news on how to solve this squeek ? My Fox fork has now also started doing this . I have read online that some guys use a Loctite remedy , just want to know if anybody has tried this with any success ?

Right .... so I did the Loctite 290 "heath robinson" fix . Bike still standing upside down allowing the loctite to further penetrate . I used a heat gun to heat up the crowns and then put a drop or 2 on either side of the stanchion , its very thin so runs in easily . While I was about it I also put some Loctite where the steerer tube joins the fork crown . Going to leave it for 24 hours then test it . Will report back 

Edited by robsc

That creaking noise is the stanchion tube separating from the crown. If you're going to try any kind of quick fix (ie. anything that doesn't involve replacing the CSU) I'd suggest making sure the stanchions are pressed firmly back into the crown as a first step.

Either that or make very sure your dental insurance is up to date.

My Kashima Fox 29er 100mm CTD did this. Had the CSU replaced 4 times which still didn't solve the issue. Cut my losses and sold it - got a RockShox instead. Bullet proof albeit the ride quality isn't as plush as the Fox

That creaking noise is the stanchion tube separating from the crown. If you're going to try any kind of quick fix (ie. anything that doesn't involve replacing the CSU) I'd suggest making sure the stanchions are pressed firmly back into the crown as a first step.

Either that or make very sure your dental insurance is up to date.

Thanks Stoke . I must reiterate that I never removed or attempted to remove the stanchions from the CSU , I just soaked some Loctite in there . I have read online that quite a few guys have tried this with success , I can only hope as my 5 year old fork isnt under warranty anymore 

Admittedly my fork isnt "creaking" its more of a ticking sound , which only really is noiticeable after about 2 hours on the bike , its not there in the beginning of the ride 

Any news on how to solve this squeek ? My Fox fork has now also started doing this . I have read online that some guys use a Loctite remedy , just want to know if anybody has tried this with any success ?

I have had 2 replacements under warranty for this. 1st time I was told it was a known fault. The shock was about 6 months old. They replaced the stanchion. Earlier this year it started creaking again. They wanted to charge me to fix. I kicked up a fuss as this is a known fault and the stanchion was actually a replacement less than a year back. They ended up replacing for free.