Power meter for mtb

JGdp

Hi guys, I have a tacx flow trainer with the powermeter and used it through the winter, awesome toy!! Now I'm leaning towards a powermeter for my mtb before the epic and sabie, I know you get PM for hubs and cranks, but have no idea on price/model of them!! I want to download the data of my laps/races etc on my pc from the PM. And have, cadence/speed/heartrate calories, ascent/descent and all those little details if possible!! Any suggestions?? Or refer me to a previous post if the question has already been asked!! Thanks a lot guys

My best advice is to go look on DCrainmaker.com as he is a sport gadget tester and has allot of info/reviews on these systems.

Triathlete sa also has an article on it in the issue with Ray Tissink on it. Think Ride and Bicycling have also run articles.

Google a bit and search this site.

Sure the guys here will be able to give more hands on info.

Oh and there is a book on training/racing with power, like the bible for it. Get that, no use having data but not knowing what to make of it.

Cool beans, will go and have a look!! Thanks, and what about 2nd hand PM'ers?? Good idea or not really??

i would so suggest the cycle ops Joule 2 and for the reason you wanna use it on your MTB i would invest in the titanium model. i have crashed so many times and it has not even got a scratch on it.

also i use to have the hub fitted tap but i have now got the crank its a better suited to me because i can use any wheel i want to race with and train with and i always have my data.

Sram and Srm are coming out with an X0 crank power meter soon.

Also the heavier hub at the back doesn't feel that great when riding, kind of unbalances the bike, IMO.

Sram and Srm are coming out with an X0 crank power meter soon.

Also the heavier hub at the back doesn't feel that great when riding, kind of unbalances the bike, IMO.

SRM also make a MTB triple PM for around R25k.

SRAM/Quarq will be releasing an X0 PM sometime soon too. It'll probably come in at around R17k.

The Powertap disc brake hub costs around R14k to which you need to add the cost of a rim, spokes and wheelbuild.

For all the wireless ANT+ PMs you also need to add the price of a computer. The Garmin Edge is probably the cheapest option at around R2500.

But quality and spec-wise, the garmin doesn't come close to the SRM/ SRAM pm or does it?? Its a huge difference in price for a PM!!

But quality and spec-wise, the garmin doesn't come close to the SRM/ SRAM pm or does it?? Its a huge difference in price for a PM!!

The Garmin PM (Vector) will only be released in March next year and it's currently road only, though the technology looks like it could be easily adapted to fit MTB pedal. I think the RRP was also around R15k.

The Garmin PM (Vector) will only be released in March next year and it's currently road only, though the technology looks like it could be easily adapted to fit MTB pedal. I think the RRP was also around R15k.

Actually, I see there could be some confusion between Garmin computers and the actual PM.

There are currently three major power meter manufacturers in or about to enter the MTB power meter market:

SRM - crank based PMs. Have been around for a long time. Very expensive.

Quarq - crank based PMs. New entrant, have made a big impact in the road PM market. Recently bought out by SRAM. MTB PM is supposed to come out later this month.

Powertap - hub-based PMs. Another old player. Often the cheapest option, but not always so.

The crank-based PMs are spec'ed in terms of the PM make and the maker of the crank they're attached to e.g. SRM/SRAM X0 = SRM PM + SRAM X0 crank arms.

Cranks based PM's will give you cadence and power. The Powertap PM gives speed, power and virtual cadence (determine from power pulses).

In addition to the PM, you need a computer to record the data. All three of the above use the ANT+ protocol, so you have a lot of options there. SRM and PT also make there own computers (PC7, Cervo/Joule). As far as I know, only the Garmin computers give altitude and GPS.

If you're riding a 9sp group with disc brakes your only two options are the SRM triple PMs, such as the FSA K-Force light for around R30k or the Powertap SL+ MTB Disc hub for around R14k (excl. rim etc.).

For 10sp, I think you can use the Powertap or SRM says they'll be releasing an X0 crank (probably around R30k) and Quarq will release theirs later this month (probably around R17k).

Aren't Garmin vector's only supposed to be R7k?

I've heard Polar are also coming out with one but I think the guy was confused between garmin and polar.

That is a steep amount for any of the combinations... anyone know if 2nd hand pm would be worth the money..given it is properly cared for etc?

That is a steep amount for any of the combinations... anyone know if 2nd hand pm would be worth the money..given it is properly cared for etc?

I might have one for sale soonish.

I'd say that the rearhub ones (PT) are the easiest and cheapest for people who may have 2 bikes.

The pedals would be easier, but the cranks much harder.

How much are you looking at spending?

Edit: I didn't see that you were the OP...

Mines for a road bike.

Edited by Zac.A

I might have one for sale soonish.

I'd say that the rearhub ones (PT) are the easiest and cheapest for people who may have 2 bikes.

The pedals would be easier, but the cranks much harder.

How much are you looking at spending?

Edit: I didn't see that you were the OP...

Mines for a road bike.

"OP" shhort for :D ?? im not going to spend R30k on a pm, but if its possible to get a nice PM for around R10k it would be perfect...

OP is original post/er.

Mine would be under 10k excluding a head unit but its for a road bike...

OP is original post/er.

Mine would be under 10k excluding a head unit but its for a road bike...

Crrrrrap, price would've been spot on!! but thanks for the input, ill keep my eyes on the classifieds....

Aren't Garmin vector's only supposed to be R7k?

I've heard Polar are also coming out with one but I think the guy was confused between garmin and polar.

The original hopes for the Vector were that it would be below $1000, but the official announcement of price and release date puts them at $1500 to be released in March 2012.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/09/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html

The Polar/Look PM is scheduled for release in limited quantities this month or next month. The RRP will be $2200.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/09/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know_19.html

I personally wouldn't object to buying a second hand power meter. The Powertaps sometimes have issues with their bearings (which are, however, easy to replace) so, especially for an MTB power meter, I'd make sure the PM had been recently serviced before buying. I would reckon a reasonable price for a used, wireless disc brake Powertap would be around R7k.